How to implement utility to recognize Ethernet based devices - Networking

This is a discussion on How to implement utility to recognize Ethernet based devices - Networking ; We implemented ethernet device will be on the network (like network disk), we need to write small utility which can be installed on laptop / PC, that utility should recognize those network device, how to implement it?. any idea. thanks ...

  1. How to implement utility to recognize Ethernet based devices

    We implemented ethernet device will be on the network (like network
    disk), we need to write small utility which can be installed on
    laptop / PC, that utility should recognize those network device, how
    to implement it?. any idea. thanks in advance.

  2. Re: How to implement utility to recognize Ethernet based devices

    GS wrote:
    > We implemented ethernet device will be on the network (like network
    > disk), we need to write small utility which can be installed on
    > laptop / PC, that utility should recognize those network device, how
    > to implement it?. any idea. thanks in advance.

    The response depends on what protocols the networked device
    understands. An Ethernet interface without any protocols
    is pretty useless.

    For instance, an IP device may be recognized with an ICMP
    echo (also called ping).

    --

    Tauno Voipio
    tauno voipio (at) iki fi