How to start wireless connection w/Linux? - Networking

This is a discussion on How to start wireless connection w/Linux? - Networking ; Hi all, I got my wireless driver working, and I used iwconfig to set the network essid and key. However then, nothing happens and my distro came with no other tools that I know of to get a connection going ...

  1. How to start wireless connection w/Linux?

    Hi all,

    I got my wireless driver working, and I used iwconfig
    to set the network essid and key. However then,
    nothing happens and my distro came with no other
    tools that I know of to get a connection going and/or
    see what wireless networks are available.

    Can someone provide me with a clue on how to
    get this working?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: How to start wireless connection w/Linux?

    Rarpy wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I got my wireless driver working, and I used iwconfig
    > to set the network essid and key. However then,
    > nothing happens and my distro came with no other
    > tools that I know of to get a connection going and/or
    > see what wireless networks are available.
    >
    > Can someone provide me with a clue on how to
    > get this working?
    >
    > Thanks.

    What would you like to happen?

    What is the distro?

    Is the network up ?

    What does ifconfig and iwconfig show?

    I dropped my crystal ball and it shattered into many pieces, so if you would
    be so kind to fetch the answers to the above maybe, just maybe someone
    could help

    --
    Dancin in the ruins tonight
    Tayo'y Mga Pinoy

  3. Re: How to start wireless connection w/Linux?

    On Sun, 04 Feb 2007 08:09:08 -0800, Rarpy wrote:

    > I got my wireless driver working, and I used iwconfig
    > to set the network essid and key. However then,
    > nothing happens and my distro came with no other
    > tools that I know of to get a connection going and/or
    > see what wireless networks are available.
    >
    > Can someone provide me with a clue on how to
    > get this working?

    "iwlist scan" will show other wireless access
    points available. "man iwlist" for the details.

    If your wireless router is set for DHCP, you may have to run dhclient
    to get an IP. What do ifconfig and iwconfig
    show?

    Stef

  4. Re: How to start wireless connection w/Linux?

    Rarpy wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I got my wireless driver working, and I used iwconfig
    > to set the network essid and key. However then,
    > nothing happens and my distro came with no other
    > tools that I know of to get a connection going and/or
    > see what wireless networks are available.
    >
    > Can someone provide me with a clue on how to
    > get this working?
    >
    > Thanks.

    I would check out the ndiswrapper we pages on installation etc.

    Ken D.

+ Reply to Thread