Networking Trouble in RH 7.3 - Networking

This is a discussion on Networking Trouble in RH 7.3 - Networking ; I am a Linux newbie so pardon my naive question. I have not used this linux partition since last 2.5 years and trying to resurrect it so that I can hopefully switch over to Linux completely. I have RH 7.3 ...

  1. Networking Trouble in RH 7.3

    I am a Linux newbie so pardon my naive question. I have not used this
    linux partition since last 2.5 years and trying to resurrect it so
    that I can hopefully switch over to Linux completely.

    I have RH 7.3 and I am unable to have internet connectivity in it. I
    have a D-Link wireless router and all I am trying at this point is to
    connect the Linux machine through an ethernet cable(when I connect my
    windows machine, there is connectivity, so no problems in router port
    or cable).

    I tried configuring the network through redhat-control-network. I have
    the devices eth0, eth1, eth2, tr0 and tr2 listed in redhat-control-
    network. But I am not able to activate any of the devices. I get a
    warning window that says "Cannot activate network device eth0". When I
    go to hardware tab in Network Configuration, I have "3Com 3c501"
    associated with eth0.

    I have "alias etho 3c501"(without quotes ocourse) in modules.conf in
    the /etc folder. Is this defaulting to 3c501 and is that why I am not
    able to activate the eth0 device?

  2. Re: Networking Trouble in RH 7.3

    On Feb 3, 10:53 pm, arun0...@gmail.com wrote:
    > I am a Linux newbie so pardon my naive question. I have not used this
    > linux partition since last 2.5 years and trying to resurrect it so
    > that I can hopefully switch over to Linux completely.
    >
    > I have RH 7.3 and I am unable to have internet connectivity in it. I
    > have a D-Link wireless router and all I am trying at this point is to
    > connect the Linux machine through an ethernet cable(when I connect my
    > windows machine, there is connectivity, so no problems in router port
    > or cable).
    >
    > I tried configuring the network through redhat-control-network. I have
    > the devices eth0, eth1, eth2, tr0 and tr2 listed in redhat-control-
    > network. But I am not able to activate any of the devices. I get a
    > warning window that says "Cannot activate network device eth0". When I
    > go to hardware tab in Network Configuration, I have "3Com 3c501"
    > associated with eth0.
    >
    > I have "alias etho 3c501"(without quotes ocourse) in modules.conf in
    > the /etc folder. Is this defaulting to 3c501 and is that why I am not
    > able to activate the eth0 device?

    Having an ethernet interface is not equal with having na internet
    access.
    At the begining run 'ifconfig' and look at the result.
    If the only one interface shown is LO, none of your real I/Fs is up.
    If all of then are downed they doesn't work at all.
    At first U have to start the I/F. -> 'ifconfig eth0 up'
    Now let's check it all is ok. Rerun 'ifconfig'.
    Now U should see at least LO and ETH0 I/Fs.
    At the first line for each I/F is some status notes.
    For normal work of ETH0 U should see that status
    codes -> 'UP BROADCAST RUNNING'

    Now it depends on if U configure IP/GATE by your own
    or if it's given by router.
    In first situation run
    'ip a a / dev eth0'
    as enter your IP, as enter your net mask.
    than run
    'ip r a nexthop via dev eth0'
    as enter yours gateway IP

    in second situation

    run 'pump -i eth0'

    Of course a assume that ethernet cabel is connected
    to eth0 interface (I/F)

    On problems write here, we will try to help U.

    BRGDS
    M4teK

  3. Re: Networking Trouble in RH 7.3

    On 3 Feb 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.networking, in article
    <1170539607.996638.305400@a34g2000cwb.googlegroups. com>, arun0217@gmail.com
    wrote:

    >I am a Linux newbie so pardon my naive question. I have not used this
    >linux partition since last 2.5 years and trying to resurrect it so
    >that I can hopefully switch over to Linux completely.

    Two and a half years ago, did you have it running this hardware - all of it?

    >I have RH 7.3 and I am unable to have internet connectivity in it. I
    >have a D-Link wireless router and all I am trying at this point is to
    >connect the Linux machine through an ethernet cable(when I connect my
    >windows machine, there is connectivity, so no problems in router port
    >or cable).

    RH 7.3 is pretty old. But what is the exact brand and model of the network
    card you have installed?

    >I tried configuring the network through redhat-control-network. I have
    >the devices eth0, eth1, eth2, tr0 and tr2 listed in redhat-control-
    >network.

    'eth0' through 'eth3' are the first through the fourth Ethernet interface
    while 'tr0' and 'tr2' are the first and third Token Ring interface - and I
    really doubt that you have one of those - they're an old and very uncommon
    interface.

    >But I am not able to activate any of the devices. I get a
    >warning window that says "Cannot activate network device eth0". When I
    >go to hardware tab in Network Configuration, I have "3Com 3c501"
    >associated with eth0.

    3c501 is almost certain to be the first card in an alphabetical listing.
    It was obsolete in 1991 when Linux was developed. It's an eight bit ISA
    card developed for the _original_ IBM PC. Few modern computers even have
    a slot to plug it in. You need to identify the actual card you have.

    >I have "alias etho 3c501"(without quotes ocourse) in modules.conf in
    >the /etc folder. Is this defaulting to 3c501 and is that why I am not
    >able to activate the eth0 device?

    I'm guessing you just clicked OK on what-ever was there, telling the
    install program that you knew that this was the type of card you had,
    and this is the reason you can't connect.

    You may be able to determine the card by looking at the contents of
    /var/log/messages. Otherwise, you'll have to open up the computer and
    look at the card to identify it. Note that a current distribution has
    a much better chance of 'auto-detecting' the card that you have. There
    are over eighty different drivers, so you really do need to know which
    one to use.

    Old guy

  4. Re: Networking Trouble in RH 7.3

    > You may be able to determine the card by looking at the contents of
    > /var/log/messages. Otherwise, you'll have to open up the computer and
    > look at the card to identify it. Note that a current distribution has
    > a much better chance of 'auto-detecting' the card that you have. There
    > are over eighty different drivers, so you really do need to know which
    > one to use.

    There's also 'lspci', assuming the NIC isn't ISA.

+ Reply to Thread