weird behaviour with slackware 11, wrong arp-requests - Networking

This is a discussion on weird behaviour with slackware 11, wrong arp-requests - Networking ; greetings, i have a problem with my freshly installed slackware 11 box, which seems to be configured correctly, but produces some weird output. to be clear, pinging only works for the local ip-address, but when it comes to the local ...

  1. weird behaviour with slackware 11, wrong arp-requests

    greetings,

    i have a problem with my freshly installed slackware 11 box, which seems
    to be configured correctly, but produces some weird output.
    to be clear, pinging only works for the local ip-address, but when it
    comes to the local network, it says "destination host unreachable".
    routing seems fine, ifconfig is ok, module gets loaded correctly and at
    least the cabling and equipment is ok, too.

    when pinging from 192.168.100.205 to 192.168.100.113, tcpdump on
    the remote host shows constantly this one:
    #########
    14:04:29.184767 arp who-has 192.168._36_.113 tell _128_.168.100.205
    #########

    tcpdump on the pinging host itself reveals no anomaly.
    now, 36 is 100 minus 64 and 128 is 192 minus 64.
    it seems to me as if there are flipping some bits on their way...

    what i've done so far:
    - configured by hand instead of netconfig
    - added an additional route to destination host
    - checked and changed cabling/port on patchpanel/hub
    - reinstalled
    - used dhcp -> timed out
    - googled
    - scratched my head

    any hints before i kick the nic (which worked without problems for years)
    out of the window?

    regards
    axel

  2. Re: weird behaviour with slackware 11, wrong arp-requests

    axel fehrs wrote:
    > greetings,

    > i have a problem with my freshly installed slackware 11 box, which seems
    > to be configured correctly, but produces some weird output.
    > to be clear, pinging only works for the local ip-address, but when it
    > comes to the local network, it says "destination host unreachable".
    > routing seems fine, ifconfig is ok, module gets loaded correctly and at
    > least the cabling and equipment is ok, too.

    > when pinging from 192.168.100.205 to 192.168.100.113, tcpdump on
    > the remote host shows constantly this one:
    > #########
    > 14:04:29.184767 arp who-has 192.168._36_.113 tell _128_.168.100.205
    > #########

    > tcpdump on the pinging host itself reveals no anomaly.

    I take that to mean the who-has message on that host's NIC has the
    correct IP addresses.

    > now, 36 is 100 minus 64 and 128 is 192 minus 64.
    > it seems to me as if there are flipping some bits on their way...

    Yes, it does seem to be a bit of a problem... Have you ruled out a
    hardware problem at the remote host? Or is the remote the problem host?
    (I'm not sure which host is the one with the fresh install.)

    > what i've done so far:
    > - configured by hand instead of netconfig
    > - added an additional route to destination host
    > - checked and changed cabling/port on patchpanel/hub
    > - reinstalled
    > - used dhcp -> timed out
    > - googled
    > - scratched my head

    > any hints before i kick the nic (which worked without problems for years)
    > out of the window?

    FWIW, I can't think of any way a configuration error could cause those
    "flipped bits." It also seems very unlikely, but not impossible, that
    it could be something amiss in the kernel or the ping program.

    Although it's not on your list, you have probably tried removing and
    reinserting the NIC..

    --
    Clifford Kite
    /* The wealth of a nation is created by the productive labor of its

  3. Re: weird behaviour with slackware 11, wrong arp-requests

    i had a busy weekend, but here i go

    Am Fri, 02 Feb 2007 16:08:46 -0600 schrieb Clifford Kite:

    > axel fehrs wrote:
    >> greetings,

    >> i have a problem with my freshly installed slackware 11 box, which seems
    >> to be configured correctly, but produces some weird output.
    >> to be clear, pinging only works for the local ip-address, but when it
    >> comes to the local network, it says "destination host unreachable".
    >> routing seems fine, ifconfig is ok, module gets loaded correctly and at
    >> least the cabling and equipment is ok, too.

    >> when pinging from 192.168.100.205 to 192.168.100.113, tcpdump on
    >> the remote host shows constantly this one:
    >> #########
    >> 14:04:29.184767 arp who-has 192.168._36_.113 tell _128_.168.100.205
    >> #########

    >> tcpdump on the pinging host itself reveals no anomaly.

    > I take that to mean the who-has message on that host's NIC has the
    > correct IP addresses.

    exactly.

    >> now, 36 is 100 minus 64 and 128 is 192 minus 64.
    >> it seems to me as if there are flipping some bits on their way...

    > Yes, it does seem to be a bit of a problem... Have you ruled out a
    > hardware problem at the remote host? Or is the remote the problem host?
    > (I'm not sure which host is the one with the fresh install.)

    the problem host is the freshly installed host, the remote host is my
    workstation but it also failed on other hosts.

    >> what i've done so far:
    >> - configured by hand instead of netconfig - added an additional route
    >> to destination host - checked and changed cabling/port on
    >> patchpanel/hub - reinstalled
    >> - used dhcp -> timed out
    >> - googled
    >> - scratched my head

    >> any hints before i kick the nic (which worked without problems for
    >> years) out of the window?

    > FWIW, I can't think of any way a configuration error could cause those
    > "flipped bits." It also seems very unlikely, but not impossible, that
    > it could be something amiss in the kernel or the ping program.

    i think you are right. i loaded the slackware-dvd via bittorrent and the
    likeliness of a faulty iso which passes the tcp, crc, etc error-correction
    and installs and works correctly, but fails to ping, is very low =

    > Although it's not on your list, you have probably tried removing and
    > reinserting the NIC..

    yes, this is my next task. i give it a try and will change the nic today.
    the funny thing is, that it was a w2k-workstation before the
    slackware-upgrade and that the nic showed no problems at all.

    thank you so far

  4. Re: SOLVED weird behaviour with slackware 11, wrong arp-requests

    Am Fri, 02 Feb 2007 16:08:46 -0600 schrieb Clifford Kite:

    thank you for help, i hunted the problem down
    instead of changing the nic i stuck it in another slot and it works...
    i stuck it in the original slot and it works again...!

    what i have learned:
    you can insert a card in a slot in a way in which it works only "half"
    without complaining...

+ Reply to Thread