Port Forwarding -All ports shown as "Stealth" - Networking

This is a discussion on Port Forwarding -All ports shown as "Stealth" - Networking ; I am unable to get ourtside services to see my computer. I have an ADSL modem/router configured as a "bridge" feeding into a wireless+4xethernet router, with one ethernet port going to my computer, and the wireless port going to my ...

  1. Port Forwarding -All ports shown as "Stealth"

    I am unable to get ourtside services to see my computer. I have an ADSL
    modem/router configured as a "bridge" feeding into a wireless+4xethernet
    router, with one ethernet port going to my computer, and the wireless port
    going to my wife's laptop. We have never had full networking, since her
    intersts and mine don't overlap.

    I have port forwarding for Ports 80 (Web server) 25 (Mail Server) P2P and
    VOIP. According to a scan at "Shields Up!", all the first 1056 ports come
    up as stealth. My servers are not visible. EchoLink (a Ham program using
    VOIP) can receive a station list, but can't connect to the test server (the
    necessary ports have been forwarded.)

    Any suggestions please? I rather suspect that it is due to having the modem
    in two stages.

    Doug.
    --
    How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to
    improve the world.

  2. Re: Port Forwarding -All ports shown as "Stealth"

    On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 16:06:55 +1100, Doug Laidlaw rearranged some electrons
    to form:

    > I am unable to get ourtside services to see my computer. I have an ADSL
    > modem/router configured as a "bridge" feeding into a wireless+4xethernet
    > router, with one ethernet port going to my computer, and the wireless port
    > going to my wife's laptop. We have never had full networking, since her
    > intersts and mine don't overlap.
    >
    > I have port forwarding for Ports 80 (Web server) 25 (Mail Server) P2P and
    > VOIP. According to a scan at "Shields Up!", all the first 1056 ports come
    > up as stealth. My servers are not visible. EchoLink (a Ham program using
    > VOIP) can receive a station list, but can't connect to the test server (the
    > necessary ports have been forwarded.)
    >
    > Any suggestions please? I rather suspect that it is due to having the modem
    > in two stages.
    >
    > Doug.

    Your ISP may be blocking them.

    --
    David M (dmacchiarolo)
    http://home.triad.rr.com/redsled

  3. Re: Port Forwarding -All ports shown as "Stealth"

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    >I am unable to get ourtside services to see my computer. I have an ADSL
    >modem/router configured as a "bridge" feeding into a wireless+4xethernet
    >router, with one ethernet port going to my computer, and the wireless port
    >going to my wife's laptop. We have never had full networking, since her
    >intersts and mine don't overlap.
    >
    >I have port forwarding for Ports 80 (Web server) 25 (Mail Server) P2P and
    >VOIP. According to a scan at "Shields Up!", all the first 1056 ports come
    >up as stealth. My servers are not visible. EchoLink (a Ham program using
    >VOIP) can receive a station list, but can't connect to the test server (the
    >necessary ports have been forwarded.)
    >
    >Any suggestions please? I rather suspect that it is due to having the modem
    >in two stages.
    >
    >Doug.

    There is a work around for Echolink ... a public proxy:
    http://www.echolink.org/proxy.htm

    You didn't provide a lot of detail about your configuration BUT
    consider:

    - You set up port forwarding in your router but is the firewall on
    your linux machine blocking the traffic?

    - Does your Linux machine get a static IP address from the router, so
    that it is always the correct destination of the router forwarding
    rules?

    - In your router forwarding rules did you forward TCP as well as UDP
    traffic?

    Good luck!

  4. Re: Port Forwarding -All ports shown as "Stealth"

    David M wrote:

    > On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 16:06:55 +1100, Doug Laidlaw rearranged some electrons
    > to form:
    >
    >> I am unable to get ourtside services to see my computer. I have an ADSL
    >> modem/router configured as a "bridge" feeding into a wireless+4xethernet
    >> router, with one ethernet port going to my computer, and the wireless
    >> port
    >> going to my wife's laptop. We have never had full networking, since her
    >> intersts and mine don't overlap.
    >>
    >> I have port forwarding for Ports 80 (Web server) 25 (Mail Server) P2P and
    >> VOIP. According to a scan at "Shields Up!", all the first 1056 ports
    >> come
    >> up as stealth. My servers are not visible. EchoLink (a Ham program
    >> using VOIP) can receive a station list, but can't connect to the test
    >> server (the necessary ports have been forwarded.)
    >>
    >> Any suggestions please? I rather suspect that it is due to having the
    >> modem in two stages.
    >>
    >> Doug.

    > Your ISP may be blocking them.

    Thanks. That may be so. They used to work on this setup but only for a
    while.

    Doug.
    --
    Imagine all the people living for today.
    - John Lennon.

  5. Re: Port Forwarding -All ports shown as "Stealth"

    On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 16:06:55 +1100, Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > Any suggestions please? I rather suspect that it is due to having the modem
    > in two stages.

    Can you see the web server from your wife's computer? That's a good
    starting point. If you can't see it from your local network then you
    won't be able to see it from outside. What about from the host computer?
    Make sure that things are actually running (netstat -tl). You also need
    to make sure that you don't have any firewall settings on the host
    blocking ports. Wireshark and tcpdump are good networking diagnostic
    tool, also nmap.

    Dan

+ Reply to Thread