Get rid of IPv6? - Networking

This is a discussion on Get rid of IPv6? - Networking ; The Linux boxes I'm herding around all give themselves IPv6 addresses. I added IPV6INIT=no to all ifcfg files, but that isn't stopping them. Yes, I'm aware that, in the grand scheme of things, this really isn't that big of a ...

  1. Get rid of IPv6?

    The Linux boxes I'm herding around all give themselves IPv6 addresses.
    I added IPV6INIT=no to all ifcfg files, but that isn't stopping them.

    Yes, I'm aware that, in the grand scheme of things, this really isn't
    that big of a deal, but I am a minimalist. I prefer to not have things
    that I'm not using configured or installed. I'm just silly that way.

  2. Re: Get rid of IPv6?

    disable IPv6 in the kernel config.

    John Oliver wrote:
    > The Linux boxes I'm herding around all give themselves IPv6 addresses.
    > I added IPV6INIT=no to all ifcfg files, but that isn't stopping them.
    >
    > Yes, I'm aware that, in the grand scheme of things, this really isn't
    > that big of a deal, but I am a minimalist. I prefer to not have things
    > that I'm not using configured or installed. I'm just silly that way.

  3. Re: Get rid of IPv6?

    On 01/19/2007 06:53 AM, John Oliver wrote:
    > The Linux boxes I'm herding around all give themselves IPv6 addresses.
    > I added IPV6INIT=no to all ifcfg files, but that isn't stopping them.
    >
    > Yes, I'm aware that, in the grand scheme of things, this really isn't
    > that big of a deal, but I am a minimalist. I prefer to not have things
    > that I'm not using configured or installed. I'm just silly that way.

    BTW, Is not it possible you also tell us your distro and kernel version?

    No problem, looking at my crystal ball, I see that in your
    /etc/modprobe.d/aliases, the following should be:

    alias net-pf-10 off #ipv6

    Plz note the 'off' word and ipv6 is commented out. Restart the machine
    and enjoy!

    Hope that helps,
    Anu's Linux@HOME Machines: #168573, 170593, 259192
    Chandigarh, UT, 160062, India Distros: Ubuntu, Fedora, Knoppix

  4. Re: Get rid of IPv6?

    On 2007-01-19 10:33, Balwinder S "bsd" Dheeman wrote:
    > On 01/19/2007 06:53 AM, John Oliver wrote:
    >> The Linux boxes I'm herding around all give themselves IPv6 addresses.
    >> I added IPV6INIT=no to all ifcfg files, but that isn't stopping them.
    >>
    >> Yes, I'm aware that, in the grand scheme of things, this really isn't
    >> that big of a deal, but I am a minimalist. I prefer to not have things
    >> that I'm not using configured or installed. I'm just silly that way.

    > BTW, Is not it possible you also tell us your distro and kernel version?
    >
    > No problem, looking at my crystal ball, I see that in your
    > /etc/modprobe.d/aliases, the following should be:
    >
    > alias net-pf-10 off #ipv6
    >
    > Plz note the 'off' word and ipv6 is commented out. Restart the machine
    > and enjoy!
    >
    > Hope that helps,

    On some distro's the file is /etc/modprobe.conf

    I have a script that fix up things I don't like after install,
    here is the line for fixing ipv6 :

    perl -pi -e 's,(^alias net-pf-10\s+)(ipv6),\1off #\2,' /etc/modprobe.conf

    It was not needed i the latest opensuse (10.2) since there was a new option
    to disable ipv6 in the install gui.

    /birre

+ Reply to Thread