Lightweight Bluetooth applications - Networking

This is a discussion on Lightweight Bluetooth applications - Networking ; I am using an USB bluetooth pen with my Gentoo Linux system, and when I want to exchange files between my cell phone and my computer, I use the KDE bluetooth server (kbluetoothd). But I've now switched to XFCE and ...

  1. Lightweight Bluetooth applications

    I am using an USB bluetooth pen with my Gentoo Linux system, and when I
    want to exchange files between my cell phone and my computer, I use the
    KDE bluetooth server (kbluetoothd).

    But I've now switched to XFCE and I'd like to use kde-based applications
    as less as possible, and I am looking for lightweight (maybe gtk+-based,
    or even ncurses based, e.g.) Bluetooth suites like the KDE one.

    Any suggestion?

    TIA
    --
    Nuno J. Silva
    Lisbon, Portugal

    Using Mozilla Thunderbird 1.5

    Gentoo Base System version 1.12.6
    Linux 2.6.17-gentoo-r7 i686 Pentium II (Deschutes)

    -=-=-
    ``Aquilo que guia e arrasta o mundo não são as máquinas, mas as ideias.''
    -- Victor Hugo

  2. Re: Lightweight Bluetooth applications

    Nuno J. Silva wrote:
    > I am using an USB bluetooth pen with my Gentoo Linux system, and when I
    > want to exchange files between my cell phone and my computer, I use the
    > KDE bluetooth server (kbluetoothd).
    >
    > But I've now switched to XFCE and I'd like to use kde-based applications
    > as less as possible, and I am looking for lightweight (maybe gtk+-based,
    > or even ncurses based, e.g.) Bluetooth suites like the KDE one.

    You have gnome-bluetooth, but it's not at all as good as kdebluetooth.

    --

    //Aho

  3. Re: Lightweight Bluetooth applications

    J.O. Aho wrote:
    > Nuno J. Silva wrote:
    >> I am using an USB bluetooth pen with my Gentoo Linux system, and when I
    >> want to exchange files between my cell phone and my computer, I use the
    >> KDE bluetooth server (kbluetoothd).
    >>
    >> But I've now switched to XFCE and I'd like to use kde-based applications
    >> as less as possible, and I am looking for lightweight (maybe gtk+-based,
    >> or even ncurses based, e.g.) Bluetooth suites like the KDE one.

    > You have gnome-bluetooth, but it's not at all as good as kdebluetooth.

    I would try it, but I don't like GNOME applications due to its
    philosophy of "removing options and features in order to avoid confusing
    the users".

    --
    Nuno J. Silva
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Homepage:
    Registered Linux User #402207 - http://counter.li.org

    Using Mozilla Thunderbird 1.5

    Gentoo Base System version 1.12.6
    Linux 2.6.17-gentoo-r7 i686 Pentium II (Deschutes)

    -=-=-
    Mathematics deals exclusively with the relations of concepts
    to each other without consideration of their relation to experience.
    -- Albert Einstein

  4. Re: Lightweight Bluetooth applications

    "J.O. Aho" writes:

    > Nuno J. Silva wrote:
    > > I am using an USB bluetooth pen with my Gentoo Linux system, and when I
    > > want to exchange files between my cell phone and my computer, I use the
    > > KDE bluetooth server (kbluetoothd).
    > > But I've now switched to XFCE and I'd like to use kde-based
    > > applications
    > > as less as possible, and I am looking for lightweight (maybe gtk+-based,
    > > or even ncurses based, e.g.) Bluetooth suites like the KDE one.

    > You have gnome-bluetooth, but it's not at all as good as kdebluetooth.

    Nothing involving gnome is lightweight...