named problem? - Networking

This is a discussion on named problem? - Networking ; Fedora Core 5 kernel-smp-2.6.18-1.2239.fc5 bind-utils-9.3.3-0.2.rc2.fc5 bind-libs-9.3.3-0.2.rc2.fc5 bind-chroot-9.3.3-0.2.rc2.fc5 At some chaotic interval my box will hang to the extent that I cannot even 'ls -l /tmp' (may not pertain to anything). I cannot 'shutdown -fr now' the box until I kill ...

  1. named problem?

    Fedora Core 5
    kernel-smp-2.6.18-1.2239.fc5
    bind-utils-9.3.3-0.2.rc2.fc5
    bind-libs-9.3.3-0.2.rc2.fc5
    bind-chroot-9.3.3-0.2.rc2.fc5

    At some chaotic interval my box will hang to the extent
    that I cannot even 'ls -l /tmp' (may not pertain to anything).
    I cannot 'shutdown -fr now' the box until I kill named. Once
    I restart the box things are ok until the next time this happens.
    I am running 'top' and do not see named spinning. I am going to
    cause named to do more logging (named -d 3?) to see what's going
    on. Any suggestions to what might be causing the problems?

    Mike

  2. Re: named problem?

    > At some chaotic interval my box will hang to the extent
    > that I cannot even 'ls -l /tmp' (may not pertain to anything).
    > I cannot 'shutdown -fr now' the box until I kill named. Once

    What sort of networking might be involved in "ls -l"? I can think of a
    couple:
    - remote mounted filesystem in your search path
    - using NIS for passwd or group

  3. Re: named problem?

    On 2007-01-14, Allen McIntosh wrote:
    >> At some chaotic interval my box will hang to the extent
    >> that I cannot even 'ls -l /tmp' (may not pertain to anything).
    >> I cannot 'shutdown -fr now' the box until I kill named. Once

    > What sort of networking might be involved in "ls -l"? I can think of a
    > couple:
    > - remote mounted filesystem in your search path
    > - using NIS for passwd or group

    None that I can think of, the ls above is of /tmp. Yet, when I kill
    named the ls works again. No NIS, though I am moving to ldap (OpenLDAP).

    Mike

  4. Re: named problem?

    Mike wrote:
    > On 2007-01-14, Allen McIntosh wrote:
    >>> At some chaotic interval my box will hang to the extent
    >>> that I cannot even 'ls -l /tmp' (may not pertain to anything).
    >>> I cannot 'shutdown -fr now' the box until I kill named. Once

    >> What sort of networking might be involved in "ls -l"? I can think of a
    >> couple:
    >> - remote mounted filesystem in your search path
    >> - using NIS for passwd or group

    > None that I can think of, the ls above is of /tmp. Yet, when I kill
    > named the ls works again. No NIS, though I am moving to ldap (OpenLDAP).

    Anything weird in /etc/nsswitch.conf?
    I suppose you could use strace and see where the ls hangs. On my system
    (vanilla FC3) I see ls doing this:

    socket(PF_FILE, SOCK_STREAM, 0) = 3
    fcntl64(3, F_GETFL) = 0x2 (flags O_RDWR)
    fcntl64(3, F_SETFL, O_RDWR|O_NONBLOCK) = 0
    connect(3, {sa_family=AF_FILE, path="/var/run/nscd/socket"}, 110) = -1
    ENOENT (No such file or directory)
    close(3) = 0

    which looks like it might be related to your problem. I don't run
    named, so the connect fails. I have no idea why it is doing this, but I
    have a suspicion that YMMV on this one.

  5. Re: named problem?

    On 2007-01-14, Allen McIntosh wrote:
    > Mike wrote:
    >>> What sort of networking might be involved in "ls -l"? I can think of a
    >>> couple:
    >>> - remote mounted filesystem in your search path
    >>> - using NIS for passwd or group

    >> None that I can think of, the ls above is of /tmp. Yet, when I kill
    >> named the ls works again. No NIS, though I am moving to ldap (OpenLDAP).

    > Anything weird in /etc/nsswitch.conf?
    > I suppose you could use strace and see where the ls hangs. On my system
    > (vanilla FC3) I see ls doing this:
    >
    > socket(PF_FILE, SOCK_STREAM, 0) = 3
    > fcntl64(3, F_GETFL) = 0x2 (flags O_RDWR)
    > fcntl64(3, F_SETFL, O_RDWR|O_NONBLOCK) = 0
    > connect(3, {sa_family=AF_FILE, path="/var/run/nscd/socket"}, 110) = -1
    > ENOENT (No such file or directory)
    > close(3) = 0
    >

    > which looks like it might be related to your problem. I don't run
    > named, so the connect fails. I have no idea why it is doing this, but I
    > have a suspicion that YMMV on this one.

    Doh, running 'strace ls -l /tmp' to see where ls is failing is an excellent
    idea. I'll try that next time ls fails. I have the debugging increased on
    named for now.

    Mike

  6. Re: named problem?

    In news:5kCqh.72$uS3.4@newsfe06.lga,
    Mike wrote:

    > Doh, running 'strace ls -l /tmp' to see where ls is failing is an
    > excellent idea. I'll try that next time ls fails.

    What'w wrong with this picture?

  7. Re: named problem?

    On 2007-01-15, patrick wrote:

    >> Doh, running 'strace ls -l /tmp' to see where ls is failing is an
    >> excellent idea. I'll try that next time ls fails.

    > What'w wrong with this picture?

    If I knew maybe I could fix the problem sooner. I know when the
    event happens that 'ls -l /tmp' freezes and I can execute the same
    command after I kill named.

    Mike

+ Reply to Thread