newbie networking problem - Networking

This is a discussion on newbie networking problem - Networking ; I'm new to Linux, know relatively little about networking, and am having problems setting up my home network. We have three machines: 192.168.2.3 herdesk #Win XP Home 192.168.2.4 mydesk #Linux Fedora 6 192.168.2.5 laptop #Linux Fedora 6 They're connected to ...

  1. newbie networking problem

    I'm new to Linux, know relatively little about networking, and
    am having problems setting up my home network.

    We have three machines:

    192.168.2.3 herdesk #Win XP Home
    192.168.2.4 mydesk #Linux Fedora 6
    192.168.2.5 laptop #Linux Fedora 6

    They're connected to a Belkin router, which connects to a
    satellite modem.

    All three machines can reach the Internet with no problems.

    Any one of the machines can successfully ping the other two
    using either the 192.168.2.x addresses or the machine names.

    Using konqueror on either Linux machine with smb:/ shows the
    workgroup, balcony, to which all three machines belong.
    Expanding balcony shows the herdesk machine and its file
    structure, and I can read and write files from/to herdesk.

    However, smb://balcony does not show either mydesk or laptop.
    Also, on herdesk, the WinXP machine, neither mydesk or laptop
    is shown in balcony there, so I can't access the file systems
    on either of the Linux machines from either of the other two
    machines. On both Linux machines /etc/samba/smb.conf has
    workgroup=balcony.

    Our printer is on the XP machine. Attempting to add it to
    either of the Linux machines using kaddprinterwizard results
    in "Error returning browse list: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED" if I
    use the Scan button, and an "Unable to create temporary printer"
    if I fill in the path and printer name and then use the Test
    button.

    I'm guessing that there's something in /etc/samba/smb.conf that
    I need to add or change, but for the life of me I can't figure
    out what it is. Any suggestions or guidance as to where to
    start reading will be much appreciated.

    Terry L

  2. Re: newbie networking problem

    On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 11:20:06 -0800, Terry Liittschwager wrote:

    > I'm new to Linux, know relatively little about networking, and
    > am having problems setting up my home network.
    >
    > We have three machines:
    >
    > 192.168.2.3 herdesk #Win XP Home
    > 192.168.2.4 mydesk #Linux Fedora 6
    > 192.168.2.5 laptop #Linux Fedora 6
    >
    > They're connected to a Belkin router, which connects to a
    > satellite modem.
    >
    > All three machines can reach the Internet with no problems.
    >
    > Any one of the machines can successfully ping the other two
    > using either the 192.168.2.x addresses or the machine names.
    >
    > Using konqueror on either Linux machine with smb:/ shows the
    > workgroup, balcony, to which all three machines belong.
    > Expanding balcony shows the herdesk machine and its file
    > structure, and I can read and write files from/to herdesk.
    >
    > However, smb://balcony does not show either mydesk or laptop.
    > Also, on herdesk, the WinXP machine, neither mydesk or laptop
    > is shown in balcony there, so I can't access the file systems
    > on either of the Linux machines from either of the other two
    > machines. On both Linux machines /etc/samba/smb.conf has
    > workgroup=balcony.
    >
    > Our printer is on the XP machine. Attempting to add it to
    > either of the Linux machines using kaddprinterwizard results
    > in "Error returning browse list: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED" if I
    > use the Scan button, and an "Unable to create temporary printer"
    > if I fill in the path and printer name and then use the Test
    > button.
    >
    > I'm guessing that there's something in /etc/samba/smb.conf that
    > I need to add or change, but for the life of me I can't figure
    > out what it is. Any suggestions or guidance as to where to
    > start reading will be much appreciated.
    >
    > Terry L

    I've never had a lot of luck getting linux and windows to 'see'
    each other. You can always do ( on windows )
    net use z: \\mydesk\resource /user:username
    ( you need to use /user:username if you don't have the same login id's )
    and access files off of your linux box using your z: drive. If it's a
    printer, you can just
    net use \\mydesk\printer /user:username
    and access it that way.

    The linux box can do mount.cifs ( or mount.smb ) to mount the windows
    shares.

    jack

    --
    D.A.M. - Mothers Against Dyslexia

    see http://www.jacksnodgrass.com for my contact info.

    jack - Grapevine/Richardson

  3. Re: newbie networking problem

    Terry Liittschwager wrote:
    > I'm new to Linux, know relatively little about networking, and
    > am having problems setting up my home network.
    >
    > We have three machines:
    >
    > 192.168.2.3 herdesk #Win XP Home
    > 192.168.2.4 mydesk #Linux Fedora 6
    > 192.168.2.5 laptop #Linux Fedora 6
    >
    > They're connected to a Belkin router, which connects to a
    > satellite modem.
    >
    > All three machines can reach the Internet with no problems.
    >
    > Any one of the machines can successfully ping the other two
    > using either the 192.168.2.x addresses or the machine names.
    >
    > Using konqueror on either Linux machine with smb:/ shows the
    > workgroup, balcony, to which all three machines belong.
    > Expanding balcony shows the herdesk machine and its file
    > structure, and I can read and write files from/to herdesk.
    >
    > However, smb://balcony does not show either mydesk or laptop.
    > Also, on herdesk, the WinXP machine, neither mydesk or laptop
    > is shown in balcony there, so I can't access the file systems
    > on either of the Linux machines from either of the other two
    > machines. On both Linux machines /etc/samba/smb.conf has
    > workgroup=balcony.
    >
    > Our printer is on the XP machine. Attempting to add it to
    > either of the Linux machines using kaddprinterwizard results
    > in "Error returning browse list: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED" if I
    > use the Scan button, and an "Unable to create temporary printer"
    > if I fill in the path and printer name and then use the Test
    > button.
    >
    > I'm guessing that there's something in /etc/samba/smb.conf that
    > I need to add or change, but for the life of me I can't figure
    > out what it is. Any suggestions or guidance as to where to
    > start reading will be much appreciated.
    >
    > Terry L

    Hi Terry,

    A few suggestions:
    - show us your /etc/samba/smb.conf file.
    - check the log files - you might find interesting messages there
    ("/var/log/syslog" and the files in "/var/log/samba/").
    - post your question to linux.samba or another *.samba newsgroup. I see
    you don't have much luck here (and personally I am no samba guru).

    Mihai

  4. Re: newbie networking problem

    Mihai Osian wrote:
    > Terry Liittschwager wrote:
    > > I'm new to Linux, know relatively little about networking, and
    > > am having problems setting up my home network.
    > >
    > > We have three machines:
    > >
    > > 192.168.2.3 herdesk #Win XP Home
    > > 192.168.2.4 mydesk #Linux Fedora 6
    > > 192.168.2.5 laptop #Linux Fedora 6
    > >
    > > They're connected to a Belkin router, which connects to a
    > > satellite modem.
    > >
    > > All three machines can reach the Internet with no problems.
    > >
    > > Any one of the machines can successfully ping the other two
    > > using either the 192.168.2.x addresses or the machine names.
    > >
    > > Using konqueror on either Linux machine with smb:/ shows the
    > > workgroup, balcony, to which all three machines belong.
    > > Expanding balcony shows the herdesk machine and its file
    > > structure, and I can read and write files from/to herdesk.
    > >
    > > However, smb://balcony does not show either mydesk or laptop.
    > > Also, on herdesk, the WinXP machine, neither mydesk or laptop
    > > is shown in balcony there, so I can't access the file systems
    > > on either of the Linux machines from either of the other two
    > > machines. On both Linux machines /etc/samba/smb.conf has
    > > workgroup=balcony.
    > >
    > > Our printer is on the XP machine. Attempting to add it to
    > > either of the Linux machines using kaddprinterwizard results
    > > in "Error returning browse list: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED" if I
    > > use the Scan button, and an "Unable to create temporary printer"
    > > if I fill in the path and printer name and then use the Test
    > > button.
    > >
    > > I'm guessing that there's something in /etc/samba/smb.conf that
    > > I need to add or change, but for the life of me I can't figure
    > > out what it is. Any suggestions or guidance as to where to
    > > start reading will be much appreciated.
    > >
    > > Terry L
    > >

    > Hi Terry,
    >
    > A few suggestions:
    > - show us your /etc/samba/smb.conf file.
    > - check the log files - you might find interesting messages there
    > ("/var/log/syslog" and the files in "/var/log/samba/").
    > - post your question to linux.samba or another *.samba newsgroup. I see
    > you don't have much luck here (and personally I am no samba guru).
    >
    > Mihai

    Determine which machine is the worjgroup Master Browser. Make sure its
    one of the Linux machines. Check the firewall settings on the XP
    machine and the iptables on the Linux machines. You could be bocking
    ports 445 or 139. I forced my Samba server to play only on port 139
    port for SMB/microsoft-ssn.

+ Reply to Thread