Frontend to (ifup iwconfig dhclient) -- easy WLAN connection manager - Networking

This is a discussion on Frontend to (ifup iwconfig dhclient) -- easy WLAN connection manager - Networking ; Hi, I was wondering wether there's a nice frontend to manage WLAN connection (let's say like the many ones in windows(r) ...). I live in a place where there are many networks available. Running simply "ifup device" will choose the ...

  1. Frontend to (ifup iwconfig dhclient) -- easy WLAN connection manager

    Hi,

    I was wondering wether there's a nice frontend to manage WLAN
    connection (let's say like the many ones in windows(r) ...).

    I live in a place where there are many networks available. Running
    simply "ifup device" will choose the strongest network available, even
    if it's not the one I want to use. So I have to do it manually with
    iwlist iwconfig and dhclient.

    Isn't there some nice gui, where I may click on the SSID and have the
    connection be established?

    Regards,
    Matthias

  2. Re: Frontend to (ifup iwconfig dhclient) -- easy WLAN connection manager

    2007-01-12, 08:44(-08), Matthias:
    [...]
    > I was wondering wether there's a nice frontend to manage WLAN
    > connection (let's say like the many ones in windows(r) ...).
    >
    > I live in a place where there are many networks available. Running
    > simply "ifup device" will choose the strongest network available, even
    > if it's not the one I want to use. So I have to do it manually with
    > iwlist iwconfig and dhclient.
    >
    > Isn't there some nice gui, where I may click on the SSID and have the
    > connection be established?

    [...]

    aptitude suggests a few:

    $ aptitude -w80 -F%0p%d search '~dwireless ~Ddependskde|gtk)'
    kwavecontrol Wireless device monitoring application for KDE
    kwifimanager wireless lan manager for KDE
    kwirelessmonitor wireless interface monitor for KDE systray
    kwlan wpasupplicant frontend for KDE
    netapplet User-friendly network interface control applet
    netspeed Traffic monitor applet for GNOME
    prismstumbler Wireless network sniffer
    procmeter3 graphical system status monitor
    swscanner Simple Wireless Scanner
    wifi-radar graphical utility for managing Wi-Fi profiles
    wlassistant User friendly KDE frontend for wireless network connection

    --
    Stéphane

+ Reply to Thread