Building a wireless router... - Networking

This is a discussion on Building a wireless router... - Networking ; Hey, my heads about to explode from to much information and need help quick! I have two wireless routers, ones hooked up to the internet, the other is going to be used and il explain in a minute.. ive got ...

  1. Building a wireless router...

    Hey, my heads about to explode from to much information and need help
    quick! I have two wireless routers, ones hooked up to the internet, the
    other is going to be used and il explain in a minute.. ive got together
    a computer, in this computer i have 2 ethernet ports and a wireless
    rangemax adapter card. The idea is that i recieve the signal from my
    hooked up router from my wireless card and it is then distributed to
    both ethernet ports, one of which will have the other wireless router
    attached.

    The reason for doing this is to increase the span of wireless coverage
    within my house. I have tried multiple floppy disk distros of linux
    (ie-sisela) but the wireless support is minimal.

    Id like to have it working from a cd or floppy as it will work much
    quicker that having to boot up windows each time i want to use the net!

    If anyone knows of how i can solve this problem please help me!

    Thanks

  2. Re: Building a wireless router...

    You're re-inventing the wheel, provisions are already in place in the
    wireless world to do what you want without having to use your PC to bridge
    the two.

    On your Linux machine, connect eth0 going to the Internet, eth1 to a
    switch. Into that switch, plug both of your wireless routers. Configure
    your wireless routers to act as access points, not routers. Give them both
    the same SSID, and assign them channels that are at least 7 or 8 channels
    apart.

    If you want even more security, use an OpenVPN connection from your
    machine to the Linux router, and *only* allow incoming traffic on eth1 to
    the VPN server. That way, it doesn't matter if someone cracks your wireless
    security, or you could even leave your wireless completely unsecured and
    unencrypted, as the only traffic you'll pass will have already been
    encrypted with stronger encryption than the 802.x equipment allows.

    steve

    "nEiL" wrote in message
    news:1168549213.375577.141460@i39g2000hsf.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hey, my heads about to explode from to much information and need help
    > quick! I have two wireless routers, ones hooked up to the internet, the
    > other is going to be used and il explain in a minute.. ive got together
    > a computer, in this computer i have 2 ethernet ports and a wireless
    > rangemax adapter card. The idea is that i recieve the signal from my
    > hooked up router from my wireless card and it is then distributed to
    > both ethernet ports, one of which will have the other wireless router
    > attached.
    >
    > The reason for doing this is to increase the span of wireless coverage
    > within my house. I have tried multiple floppy disk distros of linux
    > (ie-sisela) but the wireless support is minimal.
    >
    > Id like to have it working from a cd or floppy as it will work much
    > quicker that having to boot up windows each time i want to use the net!
    >
    > If anyone knows of how i can solve this problem please help me!
    >
    > Thanks

  3. Re: Building a wireless router...

    Hi steve, thanks for the quick reply!!

    The problem was that im a fair distance away from the router set up
    downstairs. so i need to connect wirelessly. My router however doesnt
    support acting as a wireless access point.

    This is how im after the set out to be, just to make sure u understand
    how im after it!!...

    net->wireless router (downstairs)-> * *<-wireless router (upstairs)

    Thanks agen!

  4. Re: Building a wireless router...

    A simple solution is to get an extender antenna on your wireless router
    downstairs and see if it will reach your computer's wireless card (if it has
    one) upstairs.

    It sounds like what you want though is a wireless bridge, different than a
    wireless router, ie:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/Linksys_WET5...-30460920.html

    David

    nEiL wrote:
    > Hi steve, thanks for the quick reply!!
    >
    > The problem was that im a fair distance away from the router set up
    > downstairs. so i need to connect wirelessly. My router however doesnt
    > support acting as a wireless access point.
    >
    > This is how im after the set out to be, just to make sure u understand
    > how im after it!!...
    >
    > net->wireless router (downstairs)-> * *<-wireless router (upstairs)
    >

    > Thanks agen!

+ Reply to Thread