vsftpd not working - Networking

This is a discussion on vsftpd not working - Networking ; I have a debian system running vsftpd stand alone. My problem is that I can't accees my web server or ftp service. I had everything working at my old residence for about a year, but have since moved and now ...

  1. vsftpd not working

    I have a debian system running vsftpd stand alone.

    My problem is that I can't accees my web server or ftp service. I had
    everything working at my old residence for about a year, but have since
    moved and now have a different ISP (I now have Cox). When I try to
    access the ftp through a command line with a remote windows machine and
    the linux machine plugged directly to the modem (i.e. no router, hub,
    etc. involved) I get:

    ftp 70.189.xxx.xxx
    connected to 70.189.xxx.xxx
    connection closed by remote host

    >From the same windows machine I can putty (ssh) and ping the linux

    machine.

    Also if I do use a router (with the linux ports 20,21,and 80
    forwarded), then I can get access to the web server and ftp service
    with a local machine, but still there is no remote access happening.

    I haven't changed any configuration files since it last worked,
    although it has been awhile since I last successfully installed all of
    the above (at my last place the linux box was running continuously for
    nearly a year and never crashed despite heavy use!)

  2. Re: vsftpd not working

    On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 21:05:31 -0800, bob rearranged some electrons to form:

    > I have a debian system running vsftpd stand alone.
    >
    > My problem is that I can't accees my web server or ftp service. I had
    > everything working at my old residence for about a year, but have since
    > moved and now have a different ISP (I now have Cox). When I try to
    > access the ftp through a command line with a remote windows machine and
    > the linux machine plugged directly to the modem (i.e. no router, hub,
    > etc. involved) I get:
    >
    > ftp 70.189.xxx.xxx
    > connected to 70.189.xxx.xxx
    > connection closed by remote host
    >
    >>From the same windows machine I can putty (ssh) and ping the linux

    > machine.
    >
    > Also if I do use a router (with the linux ports 20,21,and 80
    > forwarded), then I can get access to the web server and ftp service
    > with a local machine, but still there is no remote access happening.
    >
    > I haven't changed any configuration files since it last worked,
    > although it has been awhile since I last successfully installed all of
    > the above (at my last place the linux box was running continuously for
    > nearly a year and never crashed despite heavy use!)

    If you're using passive mode, you need to specify the port range that
    vsftpd uses, and open that port range on the WAN side of the router as
    well.

    in /etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf:
    pasv_max_port=
    pasv_min_port=

    and forward the same port range on your router.

    You also need to make sure your ISP is not blocking ports 20 & 21. Some do.

    --
    David M (dmacchiarolo)
    http://home.triad.rr.com/redsled

  3. Re: vsftpd not working

    I found out that cox blocks port 80
    (http://www.changeip.com/at/kb-print/27.html) to inbound requests so
    that explains why I can't access my web server, but it doesn't appear
    cox it blocking 20 or 21, I guess I should call customer service to
    verify.

  4. Re: vsftpd not working

    I added this to my configuration file, and reloaded - restarted

    pasv_enable=yes
    pasv_max_port=1050
    pasv_min_port=1000
    pasv_address= (without the <>) (external ip of my modem)

    but it didn't work, I still get what I stated above. Any more
    suggestions? please

  5. Re: vsftpd not working

    Hi Bob -

    On 11 Jan 2007 18:05:32 -0800, "bob" wrote:

    >I found out that cox blocks port 80
    >(http://www.changeip.com/at/kb-print/27.html) to inbound requests so
    >that explains why I can't access my web server, but it doesn't appear
    >cox it blocking 20 or 21, I guess I should call customer service to
    >verify.

    If you go to the Cox support website and dig down into
    Home >> High Speed Internet >> Online Safety >> Abuse Information
    there is a link to a page about what ports they block and why.
    Unfortunately with the sucky javascript stuff I can't give a direct
    link to the page.

    Beyond that, if you're a residential customer you're not supposed to
    be running a server. If you're a business customer, inbound port 80
    won't be blocked. They have a reasonably priced SOHO business package
    which I have as one of the two broadband connections on which I run my
    server.

    --
    Ken
    http://www.kensims.net/

  6. Re: vsftpd not working

    On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 19:09:51 -0800, bob rearranged some electrons to form:

    > I added this to my configuration file, and reloaded - restarted
    >
    > pasv_enable=yes
    > pasv_max_port=1050
    > pasv_min_port=1000
    > pasv_address= (without the <>) (external ip of my modem)
    >
    > but it didn't work, I still get what I stated above. Any more
    > suggestions? please

    http://vsftpd.beasts.org/
    http://www.vsftpdrocks.org/

    Google is your friend.

    --
    David M (dmacchiarolo)
    http://home.triad.rr.com/redsled
    T/S 53
    sled351 Linux 2.4.18-14 has been up 1 day 18:13

+ Reply to Thread