Proxy with Authentication - Networking

This is a discussion on Proxy with Authentication - Networking ; Hi there, I need to set up a basic proxy server which requires users to put username/password. If I am using Apache, how could I set up the authentication? Do I have to use Squid? Thanks, Ross...

  1. Proxy with Authentication

    Hi there,
    I need to set up a basic proxy server which requires users to put
    username/password.
    If I am using Apache, how could I set up the authentication? Do I have to
    use Squid?
    Thanks,
    Ross

  2. Re: Proxy with Authentication

    Ross wrote:
    > Hi there,
    > I need to set up a basic proxy server which requires users to put
    > username/password.
    > If I am using Apache, how could I set up the authentication? Do I have to
    > use Squid?
    > Thanks,
    > Ross

    Do you HAVE to use Squid? You WANT to use Squid. Specially if you got a
    package manager; apt, yum, urpmi, etc - it's a snap to setup and use!
    Btw, Apache has nothing to do with Squid.
    -Mike

  3. Re: Proxy with Authentication

    Apache or Squid -- which one is easier to configure username/password for
    Proxy, and how?
    Thanks,
    Ross

    "Ross" wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    > I need to set up a basic proxy server which requires users to put
    > username/password.
    > If I am using Apache, how could I set up the authentication? Do I have to
    > use Squid?
    > Thanks,
    > Ross

  4. Re: Proxy with Authentication

    Thanks Mike, but what I want is a proxy with authentication.
    I could set up a proxy with Apache or Squid. The question is which one is
    availabe to set up user authentication, and how?
    Thanks again,
    Ross

    "ponga" wrote in message
    news:1168461924.645602.166230@77g2000hsv.googlegro ups.com...
    > Ross wrote:
    >> Hi there,
    >> I need to set up a basic proxy server which requires users to put
    >> username/password.
    >> If I am using Apache, how could I set up the authentication? Do I have to
    >> use Squid?
    >> Thanks,
    >> Ross

    > Do you HAVE to use Squid? You WANT to use Squid. Specially if you got a
    > package manager; apt, yum, urpmi, etc - it's a snap to setup and use!
    > Btw, Apache has nothing to do with Squid.
    > -Mike

  5. Re: Proxy with Authentication

    Ross wrote:
    > Apache or Squid -- which one is easier to configure username/password for
    > Proxy, and how?

    Never used Squid, but Apache has a gos documentation at:
    http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/howto/auth.html (for release 1.3) or
    http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/howto/auth.html (for release 2.0)

    Ciao
    Giovanni
    --
    A computer is like an air conditioner,
    it stops working when you open Windows.

  6. Re: Proxy with Authentication

    Ross wrote:
    > Thanks Mike, but what I want is a proxy with authentication.
    > I could set up a proxy with Apache or Squid. The question is which one is
    > availabe to set up user authentication, and how?
    > Thanks again,
    > Ross

    Gotcha. Squid. It comes already ready to do auth.
    If you use Webmin (and you should), get the Webmin Squid module. So
    easy to setup!
    Allows you to change every aspect of Squid including managing users.

    Using Squid right now
    -Mike

+ Reply to Thread