WinModem in 2.6.8 (Mandrake) - Networking

This is a discussion on WinModem in 2.6.8 (Mandrake) - Networking ; Hello all, I have been victorious in every aspect of setting up Linux on this notebook, except this damned modem. News is my last ditch effort, I certainly hope someone here can help me. I have a Toshiba Tecra 8000 ...

  1. WinModem in 2.6.8 (Mandrake)

    Hello all, I have been victorious in every aspect of setting up Linux
    on this notebook, except this damned modem. News is my last ditch
    effort, I certainly hope someone here can help me.
    I have a Toshiba Tecra 8000 notebook (yup, pretty old); the modem
    identifies itself as a "Toshiba Internal V.90 modem" under Windoze with
    the "LT" driver.
    I have searched and scoured the 'net - and looked at nearly every page
    related to this device, but can find nothing to get it working. The
    closest I got was drivers from the ltmodem project, I used
    ltmodem-2.6.8-alk6, but ltserial does not load, modprobe complaining
    "No such device".
    At any rate, I have tried damn near everything, but Linux does not even
    see this modem, lspci nor pnpdump detects anything - but I have
    verified it works in Windoze.
    There are some related documents on the web about this, but nothing
    specific to my situation (i.e., a 2.4 kernel was used whereas I have
    2.6, etc.) - always something that is just enough to make it NOT apply
    to my system, ARRG!
    So, I may have to accept defeat here unless someone can offer some
    wisdom, which I hope is the case. Anyone have any advice about this?
    Thanks for any help,
    -Mike

  2. Re: WinModem in 2.6.8 (Mandrake)

    ponga wrote:
    > Hello all, I have been victorious in every aspect of setting up Linux
    > on this notebook, except this damned modem. News is my last ditch
    > effort, I certainly hope someone here can help me.
    > I have a Toshiba Tecra 8000 notebook (yup, pretty old); the modem
    > identifies itself as a "Toshiba Internal V.90 modem" under Windoze with
    > the "LT" driver.
    > I have searched and scoured the 'net - and looked at nearly every page
    > related to this device, but can find nothing to get it working. The
    > closest I got was drivers from the ltmodem project, I used
    > ltmodem-2.6.8-alk6, but ltserial does not load, modprobe complaining
    > "No such device".
    > At any rate, I have tried damn near everything, but Linux does not even
    > see this modem, lspci nor pnpdump detects anything - but I have
    > verified it works in Windoze.
    > There are some related documents on the web about this, but nothing
    > specific to my situation (i.e., a 2.4 kernel was used whereas I have
    > 2.6, etc.) - always something that is just enough to make it NOT apply
    > to my system, ARRG!
    > So, I may have to accept defeat here unless someone can offer some
    > wisdom, which I hope is the case. Anyone have any advice about this?
    > Thanks for any help,
    > -Mike

    Mike, my post from Jan 4 may entail the solution:

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....23842d01b0d8/#

    (as i said then, the ltmodem package has apparently branched off for
    later kernels, and has been renamed to "martian" or "martian_dev".
    Also, BTW, since that post, i have successfully run a second
    Lucent/Agere winmodem, at a nice, full speed)

    Andrew

  3. Re: WinModem in 2.6.8 (Mandrake)

    > Mike, my post from Jan 4 may entail the solution:
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/group/comp....23842d01b0d8/#
    >
    > (as i said then, the ltmodem package has apparently branched off for
    > later kernels, and has been renamed to "martian" or "martian_dev".
    > Also, BTW, since that post, i have successfully run a second
    > Lucent/Agere winmodem, at a nice, full speed)
    >
    > Andrew

    Huh! I have not tried that driver (I've tried every other driver, it
    seems) so I will try that one and let you know! I hope it works, I
    don't really use the modem at all, but it's the principle of the matter
    - getting Linux 100% working on this machine.
    Btw, is that modem you describe, is it PCI or ISA? Because NOTHING
    shows up under `lspci` nor `isapnp` for me, though I know the modem is
    there, and there should be no resource conflict...

    Thanks,
    -Mike

  4. Re: WinModem in 2.6.8 (Mandrake)

    > Mike, my post from Jan 4 may entail the solution:
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/group/comp....23842d01b0d8/#
    >
    > (as i said then, the ltmodem package has apparently branched off for
    > later kernels, and has been renamed to "martian" or "martian_dev".
    > Also, BTW, since that post, i have successfully run a second
    > Lucent/Agere winmodem, at a nice, full speed)
    >
    > Andrew

    Nope. I get this trying to load martian_modem

    martian: error: open: No such file or directory
    martian: info: Mars DSP164x device is not detected

  5. Re: WinModem in 2.6.8 (Mandrake)

    GOT IT!
    Specs: Toshiba Tecra 8000 notebook
    Modem: "Toshiba Internal V.90 Modem"
    This is an LT (Lucent, Luna or Apollo) Winmodem. I used this driver
    ltmodem-8.31a10 from here:

    I'm running 2.6.8, but this driver (initially) appears to work.
    Anyway, my problem was, this is an ISA modem, non-PNP, therefore
    pnpdump nor lspci were of any help. After compiling the above modules,
    I had to insert with these parameters (which my be different for you)

    options lt_modem Forced=4,0x130,0x3E8,0

    lt_serial and lt_modem both load. I fired up minicom and got an AT
    response, BAM! (only took me a week :/ )

    Enjoy,
    -Mike

    ponga wrote:

  6. Re: WinModem in 2.6.8 (Mandrake)

    ponga wrote:
    > GOT IT!
    > Specs: Toshiba Tecra 8000 notebook
    > Modem: "Toshiba Internal V.90 Modem"
    > This is an LT (Lucent, Luna or Apollo) Winmodem. I used this driver
    > ltmodem-8.31a10 from here:
    >
    > I'm running 2.6.8, but this driver (initially) appears to work.
    > Anyway, my problem was, this is an ISA modem, non-PNP, therefore
    > pnpdump nor lspci were of any help. After compiling the above modules,
    > I had to insert with these parameters (which my be different for you)
    >
    > options lt_modem Forced=4,0x130,0x3E8,0
    >
    > lt_serial and lt_modem both load. I fired up minicom and got an AT
    > response, BAM! (only took me a week :/ )

    Great! Just to address your earlier question about the martian driver -
    the website says it's for a *PCI* (Lucent/Agere) winmodem series (Mars
    DSP164x, in particular);
    thus, i'm assuming it's not for ISA modems then. I browsed the source
    and found "include/config/isa.h" therein, but, most likely, that is not
    an indication to the contrary. (?)

    (Also, FWIW, it wasn't accurate on my part to characterize it as a
    "branch" of the ltmodem development -- it drives a particular subset of
    L/A chips).

    thanks
    Andrew

+ Reply to Thread