wierd internet problem - Networking

This is a discussion on wierd internet problem - Networking ; Hi, I am having a weird problem. I have a dual boot computer. Windows xp and ubuntu are installed. I have static ip address and also mac filtering on my network. on xp, internet works just fine. on Ubuntu, internet ...

  1. wierd internet problem

    Hi,

    I am having a weird problem. I have a dual boot computer. Windows xp
    and ubuntu are installed. I have static ip address and also mac
    filtering on my network. on xp, internet works just fine. on Ubuntu,
    internet doesn't work even i did the same settings as i did on windows
    xp. then I wanted to try ubuntu live cd. I booted from live cd, i set
    up my ip address, dns servers, gateway and stuff, and internet worked!!
    but then again I did the SAME THING on installed ubuntu, it didn't
    work! it's really weird. I have CNET PRO200 ethernet card.

    does anyone have a idea about this? what's the problem?

    thanks for your help..

    i can send configuration files if it would help to solve the problem.

  2. Re: wierd internet problem

    The relevant configuration files I can figure (on fedora Core 6, don't
    know in Ubuntu) are:

    /etc/sysconfig/network
    /etc/resolv.conf

    and, for a cable connection (say, eth0)

    or, for a wireless connection (say, eth1)

    /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/keys-eth1

    Compare them in both distributions...

    --
    Maurizio Loreti ROT13:ybergv@cq.vasa.vg | (@_
    Un. of Padova, Dept. of Physics, Padova, Italy | //\

  3. Re: wierd internet problem

    On 10 Jan 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.networking, in article
    <1168432965.041689.33140@77g2000hsv.googlegroups.co m>, soparko@gmail.com wrote:

    >I am having a weird problem. I have a dual boot computer. Windows xp
    >and ubuntu are installed. I have static ip address and also mac
    >filtering on my network.

    Minor comment: MAC filtering is often of little uie, because it is so
    easy to set/spoof the MAC address. We do _monitor_ the MAC and IP
    addresses, but being a secure facility, our reaction to an unknown
    MAC address or a MAC/IP relationship that doesn't match our records is
    to send in the security guards.

    >on xp, internet works just fine. on Ubuntu, internet doesn't work even
    >i did the same settings as i did on windows xp.

    All this tells us is that things are not the same. No indication what may
    be different, because there is no indication of what you tried to do.

    >then I wanted to try ubuntu live cd. I booted from live cd, i set up my
    >ip address, dns servers, gateway and stuff, and internet worked!! but
    >then again I did the SAME THING on installed ubuntu, it didn't work!

    "it didn't work"... What happened? Did the computer catch on fire? What
    were the exact error messgaes. What did you try to do? How did that fail?

    >does anyone have a idea about this? what's the problem?

    Not enough information.

    >i can send configuration files if it would help to solve the problem.

    What would be more useful to you is to compare the outputs of the
    following commands between the working, and non-working Linux systems:

    /sbin/ifconfig -a
    /sbin/route -n
    /sbin/iptables -L

    Also look at the contents of

    /etc/resolv.conf
    /etc/host.conf
    /etc/nsswitch.conf

    The assumption is that you are ONLY trying to use these systems as clients
    and not as servers (if you are running servers, which ones - how are they
    configured, what is the contents of /etc/hosts.allow, /etc/hosts.deny, and
    /etc/hosts).

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread