sending init file / firmware to a network driver via kernel - Networking

This is a discussion on sending init file / firmware to a network driver via kernel - Networking ; Hi All, I need an advice. We have a network driver for a specific HW we manufacture. Upon our driver init we need to send 3 files to be able to initialize it completely. 2 files are binaries and one ...

  1. sending init file / firmware to a network driver via kernel

    Hi All,

    I need an advice.

    We have a network driver for a specific HW we manufacture.
    Upon our driver init we need to send 3 files to be able to initialize it
    completely.
    2 files are binaries and one is .ini file (txt file).
    Currently the advice I've got was not to try and open these files via kernel
    but to use IOCL to transfer these files from user application.(I did it and
    it is working)

    My question:
    Is there any Linux kernel way (no application) to open configuration
    files for drivers ?

    Thanks
    =========
    Benzy Gabay
    Texas Instruments

  2. Re: sending init file / firmware to a network driver via kernel

    Benzy Gabay wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >

    > I need an advice.
    >
    > We have a network driver for a specific HW we manufacture.
    > Upon our driver init we need to send 3 files to be able to initialize it
    > completely.
    > 2 files are binaries and one is .ini file (txt file).
    > Currently the advice I've got was not to try and open these files via kernel
    > but to use IOCL to transfer these files from user application.(I did it and
    > it is working)
    >
    > My question:
    > Is there any Linux kernel way (no application) to open configuration
    > files for drivers ?

    I didn't join the project until after all this was working - thus I'm not familiar with the details;
    however, the bcm43xx driver loads its firmware without using a userspace application. You can see
    the details in any kernel since 2.6.17.

    Larry

  3. Re: sending init file / firmware to a network driver via kernel

    I'll look for it.

    Thanks

    "Larry Finger" wrote in message
    > Benzy Gabay wrote:
    >> Hi All,
    >>

    >> I need an advice.
    >>
    >> We have a network driver for a specific HW we manufacture.
    >> Upon our driver init we need to send 3 files to be able to initialize it
    >> completely.
    >> 2 files are binaries and one is .ini file (txt file).
    >> Currently the advice I've got was not to try and open these files via
    >> kernel
    >> but to use IOCL to transfer these files from user application.(I did it
    >> and
    >> it is working)
    >>
    >> My question:
    >> Is there any Linux kernel way (no application) to open configuration
    >> files for drivers ?

    > I didn't join the project until after all this was working - thus I'm not
    > familiar with the details;
    > however, the bcm43xx driver loads its firmware without using a userspace
    > application. You can see
    > the details in any kernel since 2.6.17.
    >
    > Larry

+ Reply to Thread