My DLink 524 router started locking up randomly. All 5 wired and power
LEDs on. Happened from 2 min to 8 hrs or so. But I found that
constantly pinging the router keeps it up. Why?

A little more info; The 1 computer connecting wirelessly kept losing
connection when streaming mms: with mplayer (after 1-2 min). But not
when I used vnc to watch it. Pinging the router from it kept it going.
When not streaming, the router did its lockup tricks. So I started
pinging it always from the wired connection.

Oh, and no bittorrent running either 8-)

Brian