command to list assigned dhcp addresses - Networking

This is a discussion on command to list assigned dhcp addresses - Networking ; Is there a command I can use to ask the dhcp server which addresses have been assigned? Thanks!...

  1. command to list assigned dhcp addresses

    Is there a command I can use to ask the dhcp server which addresses
    have been assigned?

    Thanks!

  2. Re: command to list assigned dhcp addresses

    2007-01-6, 10:43(-08), anagnost68:
    > Is there a command I can use to ask the dhcp server which addresses
    > have been assigned?

    [...]

    Have a look at the lease database.

    Something like /var/lib/dhcp3/dhcpd.leases

    See dhcpd.leases(5) for details.

    --
    Stéphane

  3. Re: command to list assigned dhcp addresses

    Stephane CHAZELAS wrote:
    > 2007-01-6, 10:43(-08), anagnost68:
    > > Is there a command I can use to ask the dhcp server which addresses
    > > have been assigned?

    > [...]
    >
    > Have a look at the lease database.
    >
    > Something like /var/lib/dhcp3/dhcpd.leases
    >
    > See dhcpd.leases(5) for details.
    >
    > --
    > Stéphane

    Thanks.

    I don't seem to have those files. I only have these:

    dhclient-eth0.leases dhclient.leases

  4. Re: command to list assigned dhcp addresses

    2007-01-6, 12:48(-08), anagnost68:

    > Stephane CHAZELAS wrote:
    >> 2007-01-6, 10:43(-08), anagnost68:
    >> > Is there a command I can use to ask the dhcp server which addresses
    >> > have been assigned?

    >> [...]
    >>
    >> Have a look at the lease database.
    >>
    >> Something like /var/lib/dhcp3/dhcpd.leases
    >>
    >> See dhcpd.leases(5) for details.

    [...]
    > I don't seem to have those files. I only have these:
    >
    > dhclient-eth0.leases dhclient.leases

    Maybe I misunderstood what you asked. That solution I gave is,
    on the machine hosting the DHCP server, a way to get the IP
    addresses that the DHCP server has attributed to the clients that
    requested IP addresses to it so far (and have not expired).
    The full path of the lease database file should be given in the
    dhcpd.leases page in the section 5 of the manual (man 5
    dhcpd.lease), if not, then somewhere in your dhcp server
    documentation.

    If you want to know what IP addresses have been assigned to your
    (client) machine by some (remote) DHCP server, then those files
    (dhclientxxx) will probably do, but so will ifconfig.

    --
    Stéphane

  5. Re: command to list assigned dhcp addresses

    > If you want to know what IP addresses have been assigned to your
    > (client) machine by some (remote) DHCP server, then those files
    > (dhclientxxx) will probably do, but so will ifconfig.

    Thanks.

    Actually I want to know what IP addresses the DHCP server has given out
    for my whole network, not just my client machine...

  6. Re: command to list assigned dhcp addresses

    2007-01-6, 17:43(-08), anagnost68:

    >> If you want to know what IP addresses have been assigned to your
    >> (client) machine by some (remote) DHCP server, then those files
    >> (dhclientxxx) will probably do, but so will ifconfig.

    > Thanks.
    >
    > Actually I want to know what IP addresses the DHCP server has given out
    > for my whole network, not just my client machine...

    Then, as said, look up for its lease file.

    Again, look at your dhcpd server documentation and
    configuration. If it's not in the standard place for your dhcpd
    implementation, then its path may be specified by the
    configuration, look for lease-file-name in dhcpd.conf.

    --
    Stéphane

+ Reply to Thread