networking technologies - Networking

This is a discussion on networking technologies - Networking ; Hi I am studying this book with its goal is to educate readers about Cisco-supported networking technologies, my question is, is this technology the most common out there? how many technologies are there, do I need to study others as ...

  1. networking technologies

    Hi

    I am studying this book with its goal is to educate readers about
    Cisco-supported networking technologies,
    my question is, is this technology the most common out there? how many
    technologies are there, do I need to study others as well? I am very
    novice to networking.

    thanks

  2. Re: networking technologies

    On 06 Jan 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.networking, in article
    , Gary Wessle wrote:

    >I am studying this book with its goal is to educate readers about
    >Cisco-supported networking technologies,

    [compton ~]$ zgrep cisco big.8.list.12.15.06.gz
    comp.dcom.sys.cisco Info on Cisco routers and bridges.
    [compton ~]$

    "big.8.list" is an article posted to news.announce.newgroups, news.groups,
    and news.lists.misc on the 15th of every month.

    >my question is, is this technology the most common out there?

    Um... which technology? Ethernet? Token Ring? FDDI? ATM? Wet string?

    >how many technologies are there, do I need to study others as well? I
    >am very novice to networking.

    Your question is a bit vague, because I'm not sure which technology you
    are referring to. Cisco is a company that builds networking stuff - but
    they are far from being the only one. Then too, we have no no idea what
    your goal is. System Administrator? Network Administrator? Hardware
    guy? See if you can find this HOWTO on your system (or use any search
    engine):

    -rw-rw-r-- 1 gferg ldp 45604 Apr 18 2006 Networking-Overview-HOWTO

    There are a lot of facets to networking. Just talking about Ethernet which
    is the most common type used, there are at least four fundamental types
    (coax, twisted pairs, fiber, and wireless), with multiple data speeds
    (twisted pair can be 10, 100 or 1000 megabits/second) and there are over
    180 different data formats (or protocols) that can be found on Ethernet,
    such as AppleTalk, IP, IPX, NetBEUI, and so on. Within _those_ protocols
    or data formats are others - IP can carry over 130 protocols, such as TCP,
    UDP, ICMP, IGMP, and so on. Note that we're not dealing with the content
    of those protocols - TCP might be carrying mail, news, web pages, or who
    knows what else.

    Do you need to know about all of them? Probably not. But again, what are
    you trying to learn?

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread