List active NFS connections? - Networking

This is a discussion on List active NFS connections? - Networking ; I'm looking for a way to list all hosts that are mounting anything from a given server via NFS. netstat doesn't show any NFS connections, and rpcinfo seems to be too low-level for this. -- * John Oliver http://www.john-oliver.net/ *...

  1. List active NFS connections?

    I'm looking for a way to list all hosts that are mounting anything from
    a given server via NFS. netstat doesn't show any NFS connections, and
    rpcinfo seems to be too low-level for this.

  2. Re: List active NFS connections?

    John Oliver wrote:
    > I'm looking for a way to list all hosts that are mounting anything from
    > a given server via NFS. netstat doesn't show any NFS connections, and
    > rpcinfo seems to be too low-level for this.

    showmount

    Note that it may be in sbin which may not be in non-root PATHs.

  3. Re: List active NFS connections?

    On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 14:45:48 -0500, Joe Beanfish wrote:
    > John Oliver wrote:
    >> I'm looking for a way to list all hosts that are mounting anything from
    >> a given server via NFS. netstat doesn't show any NFS connections, and
    >> rpcinfo seems to be too low-level for this.
    >>

    > showmount
    >
    > Note that it may be in sbin which may not be in non-root PATHs.

    showmount winds up dumping the contents of /var/lib/nfs/rmtab That file
    appears to list every host that has ever made an NFS connection. Some
    Googling indicated that it would be a bad idea to null out that file for
    some reason. So, I'm wondering what is the "right" way to reset it, so
    I don't see records of hosts that haven't existed in years :-)

  4. Re: List active NFS connections?

    In news:slrnept8h5.d4r.joliver@ns.sdsitehosting.net,
    John Oliver wrote:

    > I'm looking for a way to list all hosts that are mounting anything
    > from a given server via NFS. netstat doesn't show any NFS
    > connections, and rpcinfo seems to be too low-level for this.

    mount -t nfs

  5. Re: List active NFS connections?

    John Oliver wrote:
    > On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 14:45:48 -0500, Joe Beanfish wrote:
    >> John Oliver wrote:
    >>> I'm looking for a way to list all hosts that are mounting anything from
    >>> a given server via NFS. netstat doesn't show any NFS connections, and
    >>> rpcinfo seems to be too low-level for this.
    >>>

    >> showmount
    >>
    >> Note that it may be in sbin which may not be in non-root PATHs.

    > showmount winds up dumping the contents of /var/lib/nfs/rmtab That file
    > appears to list every host that has ever made an NFS connection. Some
    > Googling indicated that it would be a bad idea to null out that file for
    > some reason. So, I'm wondering what is the "right" way to reset it, so
    > I don't see records of hosts that haven't existed in years :-)

    Never really used showmount much but I see the cruft you're describing.
    I would think it would be safe to truncate that file on startup before
    nfs services are started.

+ Reply to Thread