dns pb - Networking

This is a discussion on dns pb - Networking ; hello, I've created a new intranet server on ubuntu server 6.10. the server is fully functionnal. Of course he has a fixed IP address. However we have Two dns servers and theses servers are not updated with the ip address ...

  1. dns pb

    hello,

    I've created a new intranet server on ubuntu server 6.10. the server is
    fully functionnal. Of course he has a fixed IP address. However we have Two
    dns servers and theses servers are not updated with the ip address and the
    name of the intranet server. When the server was under mandrake it was done
    automaticaly. Do I need to install something ???

    Christophe

  2. Re: dns pb

    Christophe Rousselle wrote:
    > hello,
    >
    > I've created a new intranet server on ubuntu server 6.10. the server is
    > fully functionnal. Of course he has a fixed IP address. However we have Two
    > dns servers and theses servers are not updated with the ip address and the
    > name of the intranet server. When the server was under mandrake it was done
    > automaticaly. Do I need to install something ???

    You need to edit the DNS server's zone files to add the new host.

  3. Re: dns pb

    normally it is done automatically, with a mandrake linux the dns was updated
    automatically

    "Allen Kistler" a écrit dans le message de news:
    PPBnh.25382$QU1.23902@newssvr22.news.prodigy.net.. .
    > Christophe Rousselle wrote:
    >> hello,
    >>
    >> I've created a new intranet server on ubuntu server 6.10. the server is
    >> fully functionnal. Of course he has a fixed IP address. However we have
    >> Two
    >> dns servers and theses servers are not updated with the ip address and
    >> the
    >> name of the intranet server. When the server was under mandrake it was
    >> done
    >> automaticaly. Do I need to install something ???

    > You need to edit the DNS server's zone files to add the new host.

  4. Re: dns pb

    On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 11:20:22 +0100, Christophe Rousselle wrote:

    > normally it is done automatically, with a mandrake linux the dns was
    > updated automatically

    Hardly...

    None of my MDK boxes have ever done this automaticly, out of the box. Can
    U please elaborate?

    When running a fixed address; why are you so unwilling to add the zone
    file manually - this is done once? Where and what are your DNS servers?
    Where are your DHCP server(s)? Are U sure that this isn't a WINS
    question? What kind of IP addresses do you have in your network,
    (private?)? Does this new Ubuntu server use the MDK box's old IP address?
    IMHO, the best question of them all: What are you trying to accomplish,
    why and what are your current limitations?

    Normally, when DNS is updated automaticly, this is done by the DHCP
    server. How did the old MDK box communicate it's hostname and IP address,
    and to whom? (This is the retrospective question that once answered, will
    solve your little puzzle, and prove you wrong).

    --
    Regards/mvh Joachim Mæland

    If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.
    -Mario Andretti.

  5. Re: dns pb

    Wins ??? it is a very good idea. Dns servers are not managed by me, maybe
    they 're under windows. I will install something like winbind... Thanks a
    lot

    "Joachim Mæland" a écrit dans le message de news:
    pan.2007.01.06.15.23.42.324817@profine.net...
    > On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 11:20:22 +0100, Christophe Rousselle wrote:
    >
    >> normally it is done automatically, with a mandrake linux the dns was
    >> updated automatically

    > Hardly...
    >
    > None of my MDK boxes have ever done this automaticly, out of the box. Can
    > U please elaborate?
    >
    > When running a fixed address; why are you so unwilling to add the zone
    > file manually - this is done once? Where and what are your DNS servers?
    > Where are your DHCP server(s)? Are U sure that this isn't a WINS
    > question? What kind of IP addresses do you have in your network,
    > (private?)? Does this new Ubuntu server use the MDK box's old IP address?
    > IMHO, the best question of them all: What are you trying to accomplish,
    > why and what are your current limitations?
    >
    > Normally, when DNS is updated automaticly, this is done by the DHCP
    > server. How did the old MDK box communicate it's hostname and IP address,
    > and to whom? (This is the retrospective question that once answered, will
    > solve your little puzzle, and prove you wrong).
    >
    > --
    > Regards/mvh Joachim Mæland
    >
    > If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.
    > -Mario Andretti.

  6. Re: dns pb

    Christophe Rousselle wrote:
    > Wins ??? it is a very good idea. Dns servers are not managed by me, maybe
    > they 're under windows. I will install something like winbind... Thanks a
    > lot
    >

    > "Joachim Mæland" a écrit dans le message de news:
    > pan.2007.01.06.15.23.42.324817@profine.net...
    >> On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 11:20:22 +0100, Christophe Rousselle wrote:
    >>
    >>> normally it is done automatically, with a mandrake linux the dns was
    >>> updated automatically

    >> Hardly...
    >>
    >> None of my MDK boxes have ever done this automaticly, out of the box. Can
    >> U please elaborate?
    >>
    >> When running a fixed address; why are you so unwilling to add the zone
    >> file manually - this is done once? Where and what are your DNS servers?
    >> Where are your DHCP server(s)? Are U sure that this isn't a WINS
    >> question? What kind of IP addresses do you have in your network,
    >> (private?)? Does this new Ubuntu server use the MDK box's old IP address?
    >> IMHO, the best question of them all: What are you trying to accomplish,
    >> why and what are your current limitations?
    >>
    >> Normally, when DNS is updated automaticly, this is done by the DHCP
    >> server. How did the old MDK box communicate it's hostname and IP address,
    >> and to whom? (This is the retrospective question that once answered, will
    >> solve your little puzzle, and prove you wrong).
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards/mvh Joachim Mæland
    >>
    >> If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.
    >> -Mario Andretti.

    I think what you are looking for are dynamic dns zone transfers. First,
    zone transfers must be enabled on the DNS servers and the DHCP server
    added to the allowed hosts list. Then, you must configure the DHCP
    server to be authoritative for the IP block it serves. I don't remember
    exactly how to configure DHCPD, but I think this site describes it
    pretty well. http://www.semicomplete.com/articles...dns-with-dhcp/
    Good luck!

    Michael

+ Reply to Thread