Hacking ideas? - Networking

This is a discussion on Hacking ideas? - Networking ; Hi there! I have thought of a very nice game that is perfectly suited for a hacking game. It's an abstract hacking game, so it will not teach how to hack. It will teach what hackers can do to get ...

  1. Hacking ideas?

    Hi there!
    I have thought of a very nice game that is perfectly suited for a
    hacking game. It's an abstract hacking game, so it will not teach how
    to hack. It will teach what hackers can do to get inside a host (such
    as brute-forcing SSH, etc...).

    I don't want to tell about the game more than that because it's
    really original. I'm sure people of all levels of knowledge would have
    some fun with it (10 mins at least!).

    I used to really be into computer security and I could have made the
    list of ideas myself, but that was 2-3 years ago, now I'm way behind and
    that's why I might need the help of somebody here.

    Currently the game development team consist of me (C++, OpenGL,
    Networking), and graphics will be done by a friend of mine. I'm willing
    to put contributions in the credit page fo'sho! And at last the game
    may be freeware or shareware and I wouldn't ask for more than 5-15$us.

    The principle I wish to follow is to compromise a host, penetrate
    inside. There is no magic wand to do so and sometimes, some things
    needs to be done by hand and after you can use your exploit
    successfully, etc... Here's the current strategy:

    1) Portscan host completely
    2) Dig into a given port to examine it (ie port 80, searching for
    bugs, login-prompts, etc...)
    3) Engage an exploit (think about the exploits as automated scripts,
    like for script kiddies, in the game you will be developing your own (or
    upgrading existing ones))
    4) Once inside (have i skipped steps here??), attack the security
    processes (anti-virus, intrusion detection systems, the human's eyes:
    top, ps, ls, etc...)
    5) Make yourself home (backdoors, etc), the host is owned!

    I'm sure I skipped a couple steps in this list, that's why I need your
    help, there is also the fact that I didn't want to send a huge "wall of
    text" to the group! I'll try to setup a wiki on a host I "own" (hehe)
    so any of you will be able to add, correct, etc...

    One last thing: some people might say: "We've seen that game already,
    it's called Uplink". Well, yea, again, I don't want to spoil the game
    too much, but in uplink you play a human trying to work for an
    association. In the game I'm thinking about, you are not a human (not
    really an AI either... and hehe, not an alien don't worry!).

    Here, I'll setup the page now and reply to this thread once I have a link.

    Thanks,
    Turner

  2. Re: Hacking ideas?

    > Here, I'll setup the page now and reply to this thread once I have a link.

    There we go:
    http://turners.stikipad.com/dev/

    I turned off the page edition on the wiki for now. You need to become
    an author to do that, so if you want to, just send me an email privately
    and I'll set that up for you. In the meantime, there is a discussion
    place at the bottom you can use to post new ideas or critic some ideas
    already there.

    Thanks in advance,
    Turner

+ Reply to Thread