wireless, laptop, connect automatically - Networking

This is a discussion on wireless, laptop, connect automatically - Networking ; My laptop does not manage to connect anymore, while windows-xp just works (no flames, please). I acquired the laptop a month ago, and the first two weeks my connect script worked most of the time. I have no idea where ...

  1. wireless, laptop, connect automatically

    My laptop does not manage to connect anymore, while windows-xp just
    works (no flames, please).
    I acquired the laptop a month ago, and the first two weeks my connect
    script worked most of the time.
    I have no idea where to begin researching this. This is what I do in my
    script:

    ifconfig ath0 up
    dhclient atho

    There are two open networks where I sit, but one of them never responds
    to DHCP requests.
    I do not know what the network card actually does, why it succeeds when
    it does, and why not, when it doesn't. I have tried to read the
    wireless how-to but I have not found anything of relevance. What tools
    are there that could help debug the problem?

    I have wireshark, and it shows the dhcp discover requests, and some
    traffic involving other hosts (promiscuous mode), but it is just like
    my laptop's transmissions are not received in the other end.

    Today I tried "iwconfig ath0" a couple of times while dhclient was
    trying, and saw that it was using the essid of the network that never
    responds. I then tried "iwconfig ath0 essid blah-blah", and after that
    "iwconfig ath0" always report the essid I have set, but there is still
    no repsonse. I also observe that each time I run "iwconfig ath0" the
    frequency is different. It seems never to be what I get from "iwlist
    ath0 scan". I guess it means the software is trying various
    frequencies, but it does not quite make sense to me. Iwlist scan always
    report the same frequencies.

    I have debian, but this too is a new experiance for me. I used to
    install redhat/fedora on my computers. Hence I do not know what is the
    canonical way of setting up the network.

    I have also tried to find out how Windows XP does it, and installed
    wireshark in the windows partition too, but it seems it does not work
    with my wifi card - Atheros AR5005G. The card gets listed in the
    interfaces list, but there is never a single packet in the window. Yes,
    tried non-promiscuous mode too.

    Any ideas? Thanks

  2. Re: wireless, laptop, connect automatically

    "enrio@online.no" writes:

    > My laptop does not manage to connect anymore, while windows-xp just
    > works (no flames, please).

    I (fedora core-6) used the system configuration utility (under gnome,
    system -> administration -> network). Immediate and easy.

    --
    Maurizio Loreti ROT13:ybergv@cq.vasa.vg | (@_
    Un. of Padova, Dept. of Physics, Padova, Italy | //\

+ Reply to Thread