firewall blocking ports - Networking

This is a discussion on firewall blocking ports - Networking ; Hello to everybody and happy new year :-) I have a problem with my Lan and in particular with my DI-624 (D-link) router: its firewall probably blocks some ports that are needed by some applications I use on my Laptop. ...

  1. firewall blocking ports

    Hello to everybody and happy new year :-)

    I have a problem with my Lan and in particular with my DI-624 (D-link)
    router: its firewall probably blocks some ports that are needed by some
    applications I use on my Laptop.
    In particular I can't read my hotmail account (ok, it's winzozz stuff, but
    i still have to use that for a while) and on the other side if I connect
    to the internet without the router (directly by the adsl modem) everything
    is ok.
    I tried all the possibile configurations of the router but I can't get the
    solution :-(
    Does anybody have a suggestion?

    Thank you in advance :-)

    --
    flood

  2. Re: firewall blocking ports

    Flood wrote:
    > Hello to everybody and happy new year :-)
    >
    > I have a problem with my Lan and in particular with my DI-624 (D-link)
    > router: its firewall probably blocks some ports that are needed by some
    > applications I use on my Laptop.
    > In particular I can't read my hotmail account (ok, it's winzozz stuff, but
    > i still have to use that for a while) and on the other side if I connect
    > to the internet without the router (directly by the adsl modem) everything
    > is ok.
    > I tried all the possibile configurations of the router but I can't get the
    > solution :-(
    > Does anybody have a suggestion?
    >
    > Thank you in advance :-)

    1) State a few very precise examples of things that do work in the same
    network configuration as the one in which things don't work.

    2) State a few very precise examples of things that don't work. "I
    can't read my hotmail account" is meaningless. For example, it doesn't
    specify if you were using a browser or a mail client, and if a mail
    client, what protocol the client was configured to use.

    3) For things that don't work, state clearly what happened and what you
    expected to happen. There are many different ways something can "not
    work".

    DS

  3. Re: firewall blocking ports

    First of all , thank you for your reply David :-)

    Well, I think I have been not so precise in my questions, so please excuse
    me...

    Now, some things that do work in the same network configuration (using the
    router) :
    - receiving mail of my other e-mail accounts using the browser (gmail for
    example), but not sending mail.
    - internet browsing
    - Norton antivirus update.

    Things that do NOT work in the same network configuration (using the
    router) :
    - sending mail using any of my e-mail accounts (gmail for example)
    I thought that the problem was with the port 25 so I tried to open it
    on the router's firewall configuration, but no way :-(
    - accessing my hotmail account using outlook express
    the error showed
    "Server: http://services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp
    Protocol : HTTPMail
    Port: 0
    Protection (SSL): 0
    Code: 80004005"

    I have searched the internet for an answer to this problem for
    a long time, but no results
    If I could have disabled the router's firewall I would have done it
    (i have the firewall of my Norton antivirus on my pc) , but
    it's impossibile.

    Thank you for you help :-)

    --
    flood

  4. Re: firewall blocking ports

    On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 02:02:44 -0800, David Schwartz wrote:

    Hi, I just solved the problem, it was not a problem of firewall or closed
    ports but a setting of MTU in my router.
    It seems that it must be set to 1400 for hotmail (and AOL) users...

    http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.as...%2D624+hotmail

    thanks anyway for your politeness.

    --
    flood