WAN Miniport (PPTP) missing from RRAS - Network

This is a discussion on WAN Miniport (PPTP) missing from RRAS - Network ; Server: Windows 2003 SBS Updated with Service Pack 2 Problem: Can no logner create VPN Connections WAN Miniport (PPTP) is not in the RRAS ports list any longer. RRAS was working fine until some error happened with a program found ...

  1. WAN Miniport (PPTP) missing from RRAS

    Server: Windows 2003 SBS
    Updated with Service Pack 2

    Problem: Can no logner create VPN Connections

    WAN Miniport (PPTP) is not in the RRAS ports list any longer. RRAS was
    working fine until some error happened with a program found in the temp
    directory. Cleaned server and everything is fine with the exception of RRAS
    WAN Miniports missing. The WAN Miniport (PPPoE), Direct Parallel (LPT1) and
    WAN Miniport (L2TP) are still present.

    Under Routing and Remote Access (RRAS) in the PORTS section the three above
    mentioned devices are listed. When you choose properties of the PORT
    section, WAN Miniport (PPTP) is still listed and said to be used by
    RAS/Routing.

    WAN Miniport (PPTP) has 128, the default, ports available and is configure
    to receive both inbound and outbound connections. Not one of these port show
    up in the ports list when displayed.

    Attempted Solutions:
    1. Reconfigured RRAS on server.
    2. Deleted Miniport. Completed by changing the device in Device Manager to
    Mac Bridge Port. Uninstalled the device. Restarted the server. Installed
    WAN Miniport (PPTP) using Devcon. Reconfigured RRAS on Server.
    3. Even tried removing the RRAS all together and using the Incoming
    Connections setup that has worked before when moving things around. I know
    that Incoming Connections uses PPTP so I wanted to test the outcome.

    All of these attempts failed. Any information on this problem would be
    greatly appreciated. Again the VPN was working fine. The problem that took
    place did not seem to have anything to do with networking. The server has a
    file in the recycler bin that could not start, Firedaemon.exe, and so the
    service itself was not working. I could not imagine Microsoft using this
    file in conjuction with WAN Miniport (PPTP), but I figure I would include it
    so that it was clear what happened before hand. I do not feel that they are
    related being that the problem is already gone and the miniport is still not
    visible.

    Thank you in advanced.

  2. Re: WAN Miniport (PPTP) missing from RRAS

    try to re-install it. These search results may help,

    RESOLVED: Network Wizard only ...The solution involved reinstalling the WAN Miniport (PPTP) driver. Here's how I did it: 1. Go to device manager and select "Show Hidden Devices" under the ...
    http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...0160d994ee7523 -

    chicagotech.net :: View topic - Setting up VPN and missing L2TP ports
    The solution involved reinstalling the WAN Miniport (PPTP) driver. .... new 'MAC Bridge Miniport." 4. Now that it's gone, lets reinstall it. ....
    http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...606cb29f964c81 -

    VPN Issues
    Missing WAN Miniport L2TP and PPTP One VPN user disconnects LAN connection Routing & Remote access service was unable was to start ...
    http://www.chicagotech.net/vpn.htm

    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    "JGi" wrote in message news:BB7DE0D8-FA8C-488C-AB58-122D312121AF@microsoft.com...
[...]

  3. Re: WAN Miniport (PPTP) missing from RRAS

    Thank you for the reply. The items listed in my attempted solutions section
    are exactly what you suggested. When searching the internet I got a hold of
    that website and attempted everything again after using the switch and
    uninstall method. That is why I cannot understand it. When I looked at RRAS
    with the miniport uninstalled from the server it still was listed in the
    ports selection, but not showing in the ports list.

    If there is anything else you can think of, please do not hesitate to
    respond. Thank you again.

    JG

    "Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> [...]
    > WAN Miniport (PPTP) using Devcon. Reconfigured RRAS on Server.
    > 3. Even tried removing the RRAS all together and using the Incoming
    > Connections setup that has worked before when moving things around. I know
    > that Incoming Connections uses PPTP so I wanted to test the outcome.
    >
    > All of these attempts failed. Any information on this problem would be
    > greatly appreciated. Again the VPN was working fine. The problem that took
    > place did not seem to have anything to do with networking. The server has a
    > file in the recycler bin that could not start, Firedaemon.exe, and so the
    > service itself was not working. I could not imagine Microsoft using this
    > file in conjuction with WAN Miniport (PPTP), but I figure I would include it
    > so that it was clear what happened before hand. I do not feel that they are
    > related being that the problem is already gone and the miniport is still not

  4. RE: WAN Miniport (PPTP) missing from RRAS

    JGi,

    I was wondering if you have found a resolution to your problem. I have the
    same issue. My VPN using PPTP has been working great for over a year, then
    recently it did what you mentioned. The PPTP miniports are missing, but
    obviously installed correctly and configured correctly. I have done the
    re-install, re-config, hotfix MS06-041, even Bob Lin's suggestion with
    uninstalling the PPTP miniport from device manager and reinstalling....
    NOTHING! I even had it resolved (so I thought) for over two weeks - I
    manually disabled the Telephony Service in Windows 2003 server. But ISA's
    Firewall service/RRAS depends on the Telephony service so the next reboot
    gave me hell until I reenabled it. Any other ideas? Anyone?

    "JGi" wrote:

    > Server: Windows 2003 SBS
    > Updated with Service Pack 2
    >
    > Problem: Can no logner create VPN Connections
    >
    > WAN Miniport (PPTP) is not in the RRAS ports list any longer. RRAS was
    > working fine until some error happened with a program found in the temp
    > directory. Cleaned server and everything is fine with the exception of RRAS
    > WAN Miniports missing. The WAN Miniport (PPPoE), Direct Parallel (LPT1) and
    > WAN Miniport (L2TP) are still present.
    >
    > Under Routing and Remote Access (RRAS) in the PORTS section the three above
    > mentioned devices are listed. When you choose properties of the PORT
    > section, WAN Miniport (PPTP) is still listed and said to be used by
    > RAS/Routing.
    >
    > WAN Miniport (PPTP) has 128, the default, ports available and is configure
    > to receive both inbound and outbound connections. Not one of these port show
    > up in the ports list when displayed.
    >
    > Attempted Solutions:
    > 1. Reconfigured RRAS on server.
    > 2. Deleted Miniport. Completed by changing the device in Device Manager to
    > Mac Bridge Port. Uninstalled the device. Restarted the server. Installed
    > WAN Miniport (PPTP) using Devcon. Reconfigured RRAS on Server.
    > 3. Even tried removing the RRAS all together and using the Incoming
    > Connections setup that has worked before when moving things around. I know
    > that Incoming Connections uses PPTP so I wanted to test the outcome.
    >
    > All of these attempts failed. Any information on this problem would be
    > greatly appreciated. Again the VPN was working fine. The problem that took
    > place did not seem to have anything to do with networking. The server has a
    > file in the recycler bin that could not start, Firedaemon.exe, and so the
    > service itself was not working. I could not imagine Microsoft using this
    > file in conjuction with WAN Miniport (PPTP), but I figure I would include it
    > so that it was clear what happened before hand. I do not feel that they are
    > related being that the problem is already gone and the miniport is still not
    > visible.
    >
    > Thank you in advanced.

  5. RE: WAN Miniport (PPTP) missing from RRAS

    You may have just helped me.

    I have not resolved the issue at this time. I am scheduled to go on site to
    my clients office on 17-18 or May. If you find anything before this time
    please let me know. I will also do the same. I am searching for a solution
    everyday. I cannot do some of the things that I need to do without the help
    of the client, and being that I had them try everything that I listed the
    rest is going to be a backup and possible reinstall of some things until I
    find the problem.

    I do however have a knack for troubleshooting and you may have just given me
    a clue to the mystery. If disabling the telephony service actually got it to
    work for a little while then there has to be a connection or setting that is
    turned on/off because of it that is effecting our overall happiness. I will
    be looking into this tomorrow and will let you know what I find.

    Keep you posted,
    JGi

+ Reply to Thread