VPN NAT Transparency - Network

This is a discussion on VPN NAT Transparency - Network ; Hi, I have set up a Windows 2003 VPN server. I'm using L2TP/IPSEC. VPN is funcioning well. But I have one specific problem. NAT-T is also working but only one in time. When several clients behind the same NAT device ...

  1. VPN NAT Transparency

    Hi,

    I have set up a Windows 2003 VPN server. I'm using L2TP/IPSEC. VPN is
    funcioning well. But I have one specific problem.
    NAT-T is also working but only one in time. When several clients behind the
    same NAT device try to connect to VPN server, only one connection to VPN
    server is made and working. The other clients gets "Error: the remote
    computer did not respond".
    Can Windows 2003 VPN server serv also multiple L2TP/IPSEC connections behind
    one NAT device ?
    The scenario :

    3 VPN Clients - > NAT -> internet -> Win2003 VPN Server

    The only working scenario now is following :

    1 VPN Clients - > NAT -> internet -> Win2003 VPN Server

    Thanks.

  2. Re: VPN NAT Transparency

    Hi Richard,

    I think you should have a look at this KB article from Microsoft (912213)

    More details here : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912213

    This seems to be due to a mulfunction in the IPSEC driver, an update
    exists..

    Hope that helps.

    -RD-

    "Richard Hrubizna" a écrit dans le message de
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have set up a Windows 2003 VPN server. I'm using L2TP/IPSEC. VPN is
    > funcioning well. But I have one specific problem.
    > NAT-T is also working but only one in time. When several clients behind
    > the same NAT device try to connect to VPN server, only one connection to
    > VPN server is made and working. The other clients gets "Error: the remote
    > computer did not respond".
    > Can Windows 2003 VPN server serv also multiple L2TP/IPSEC connections
    > behind one NAT device ?
    > The scenario :
    >
    > 3 VPN Clients - > NAT -> internet -> Win2003 VPN Server
    >
    > The only working scenario now is following :
    >
    > 1 VPN Clients - > NAT -> internet -> Win2003 VPN Server
    >
    > Thanks.

  3. Re: VPN NAT Transparency

    Thank you very much for your answer Rudy. But we just buy Cisco 3005 VPN
    Concentrator and the problem is gone.
    So no more problems connecting more that 5 users behind 1 NAT device to
    Cisco VPN Concentrator. I think that Cisco's VPN solution is more stable
    than Microsoft VPN.
    But the article you mentioned can maybe be the solution to problem that we
    have had with Ms VPN Server.

    Thanks again Rudy.

    "Rudy Doster" wrote in message
    > Hi Richard,
    >
    > I think you should have a look at this KB article from Microsoft (912213)
    >
    > More details here : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912213
    >
    > This seems to be due to a mulfunction in the IPSEC driver, an update
    > exists..
    >
    > Hope that helps.
    >
    > -RD-
    >
    > "Richard Hrubizna" a écrit dans le message de
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have set up a Windows 2003 VPN server. I'm using L2TP/IPSEC. VPN is
    >> funcioning well. But I have one specific problem.
    >> NAT-T is also working but only one in time. When several clients behind
    >> the same NAT device try to connect to VPN server, only one connection to
    >> VPN server is made and working. The other clients gets "Error: the remote
    >> computer did not respond".
    >> Can Windows 2003 VPN server serv also multiple L2TP/IPSEC connections
    >> behind one NAT device ?
    >> The scenario :
    >>
    >> 3 VPN Clients - > NAT -> internet -> Win2003 VPN Server
    >>
    >> The only working scenario now is following :
    >>
    >> 1 VPN Clients - > NAT -> internet -> Win2003 VPN Server
    >>
    >> Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread