Static Arp Entry for Multicast -- Cisco Environment - Network

This is a discussion on Static Arp Entry for Multicast -- Cisco Environment - Network ; Hello All, I continually read that in a cisco environment when using nlb, static arp settings must be entered into the switch / router to prevent the port flooding we are currently experiencing. Can anyone confirm or deny that this ...

  1. Static Arp Entry for Multicast -- Cisco Environment

    Hello All,

    I continually read that in a cisco environment when using nlb, static arp
    settings must be entered into the switch / router to prevent the port
    flooding we are currently experiencing. Can anyone confirm or deny that this
    can successfully be setup when connecting directly to a cisco 6509 to
    properly run NLB in multicast mode? Our network guy is simply shooting it
    down, and I don't know enough specifics in that gear to differ. If anyone
    can provide exactly what needs to be set I would very much appreciate it.

    --
    Tobias

  2. Re: Static Arp Entry for Multicast -- Cisco Environment

    See

    for example. It says:

    Cisco routers require a static ARP entry because they do not support the
    resolution of unicast IP addresses to multicast MAC addresses.

    wrote in message
    > Hello All,
    >
    > I continually read that in a cisco environment when using nlb, static arp
    > settings must be entered into the switch / router to prevent the port
    > flooding we are currently experiencing. Can anyone confirm or deny that
    > this
    > can successfully be setup when connecting directly to a cisco 6509 to
    > properly run NLB in multicast mode? Our network guy is simply shooting it
    > down, and I don't know enough specifics in that gear to differ. If anyone
    > can provide exactly what needs to be set I would very much appreciate it.
    >

    > --
    > Tobias

+ Reply to Thread