Restrict internet access of a user to VPN connection - Network

This is a discussion on Restrict internet access of a user to VPN connection - Network ; Dear newsgroup! I am not sure, whether my problem has a simple solution (hope so), but I am convinced that you can help me... I would like to force that a certain user can access the internet only via a ...

  1. Restrict internet access of a user to VPN connection

    Dear newsgroup!
    I am not sure, whether my problem has a simple solution (hope so), but I
    am convinced that you can help me...

    I would like to force that a certain user can access the internet only
    via a certain VPN connection. As an established VPN connection presents
    itself as a new network adapter this question breaks down to the problem
    (in my opinion) of restricting a user's access to a certain network adapter.
    At the same time - if possible - it should be possible to access the
    machine (for remote control purposes) from inside the local network.

    I tried some firewalls but none of them were able to distinguish between
    "access through a VPN adapter" and "normal internet access".

    Any hints where I could find some help?

    Best regards,
    Dominik

  2. Re: Restrict internet access of a user to VPN connection

    You don't give much information on your setup but if you are using Windows
    Server you might be able to configure Remote Access Policies to do what you
    want using input/output filters. You could also make sure that it is only
    allowed via L2TP which would mean that the computer needs a trusted
    certificate on it.

    Steve

    "Dominik Lübbers" wrote in message
    > Dear newsgroup!
    > I am not sure, whether my problem has a simple solution (hope so), but I
    > am convinced that you can help me...
    >
    > I would like to force that a certain user can access the internet only via
    > a certain VPN connection. As an established VPN connection presents itself
    > as a new network adapter this question breaks down to the problem (in my
    > opinion) of restricting a user's access to a certain network adapter.
    > At the same time - if possible - it should be possible to access the
    > machine (for remote control purposes) from inside the local network.
    >
    > I tried some firewalls but none of them were able to distinguish between
    > "access through a VPN adapter" and "normal internet access".
    >
    > Any hints where I could find some help?
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Dominik

+ Reply to Thread