IPSec & VPN & RRAS - Network

This is a discussion on IPSec & VPN & RRAS - Network ; Hello, I have no idea whether or not I'm in the right forum but I'm getting desperate. We mistakenly installed VPN on a Windows 2003 Server running Exchange Server 2003 using the wizard. It was quickly removed and after that ...

  1. IPSec & VPN & RRAS

    Hello,
    I have no idea whether or not I'm in the right forum but I'm getting
    desperate. We mistakenly installed VPN on a Windows 2003 Server running
    Exchange Server 2003 using the wizard. It was quickly removed and after that
    our Outlook clients could not connect to Exchange. After turning on RRAS
    they could connect but the server could not see the network and the network
    could not see the server in question. My question is, when we removed the
    VPN did we miss something in the IPSec or security area that caused the
    users/clients to not be able to connect to the Exchange server? And we
    indirectly solved the Exchange connection problem by turning on RRAS? We
    would like to turn RRAS off because we think we would be able to then see
    the server from the network and the network from the server. However, we're
    afraid too because the users/clients may not be able to connect to Exchange.
    Riley

  2. Re: IPSec & VPN & RRAS

    This is embarrassing. We've solved the problem. Somehow during the VPN
    effort back in May the "Disable NetBios over TCP/IP" was set to disable. I
    had focused all my efforts around the VPN/RRAS and only when I was looking
    at the WINS panel did everything click. Not only was NetBios disabled but
    the WINS address was pointing to itself. I assume the VPN wizard had
    something to do with these settings. That area hasn't been opened since we
    built the machine early last year. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions and
    help. Riley

    "riley" wrote in message
    > Hello,
    > I have no idea whether or not I'm in the right forum but I'm getting
    > desperate. We mistakenly installed VPN on a Windows 2003 Server running
    > Exchange Server 2003 using the wizard. It was quickly removed and after

    that
    > our Outlook clients could not connect to Exchange. After turning on RRAS
    > they could connect but the server could not see the network and the

    network
    > could not see the server in question. My question is, when we removed the
    > VPN did we miss something in the IPSec or security area that caused the
    > users/clients to not be able to connect to the Exchange server? And we
    > indirectly solved the Exchange connection problem by turning on RRAS? We
    > would like to turn RRAS off because we think we would be able to then see
    > the server from the network and the network from the server. However,

    we're
    > afraid too because the users/clients may not be able to connect to

    Exchange.
    > Riley

+ Reply to Thread