IPv6: When will we start using it? - Network

This is a discussion on IPv6: When will we start using it? - Network ; Those of you that are technical people probably know that IPv6 has existed for several years now (I'd have to check for the exact amount). But none of the Internet Service Providers that I have used or looked at since ...

  1. IPv6: When will we start using it?

    Those of you that are technical people probably know that IPv6 has existed
    for several years now (I'd have to check for the exact amount). But none of
    the Internet Service Providers that I have used or looked at since then are
    offering to use it with their customers yet. I realize that it is a major
    change because of the fact that older software might not be capable of
    everything, all those people that refuse to upgrade their operating systems
    (my dad still uses Windows 98, even though we have an extra XP system
    sitting around) may have some problems, and all those companies with static
    IP addresses will need to take care of some stuff. Even though it has some
    backward compatibilities (It's been a while since I looked over the specs
    for it, and even though I'm a developer, networking isn't my concentration),
    it will be a big project for everyone. But I stopped hearing about it a
    while ago, and with all the updates that have been going on lately (IE7 and
    the increase in broadband usage, for example), I'm wondering when the
    project will begin. Does anybody have any information on when the big
    companies (Microsoft, Verizon, etc.) will start pushing this, and what some
    of the next steps might be?
    --
    Nathan Sokalski
    njsokalski@hotmail.com

  2. Re: IPv6: When will we start using it?

    On Fri, 26 May 2006 01:29:02 -0400, "Nathan Sokalski"
    wrote:

    >Those of you that are technical people probably know that IPv6 has existed
    >for several years now (I'd have to check for the exact amount). But none of
    >the Internet Service Providers that I have used or looked at since then are
    >offering to use it with their customers yet. I realize that it is a major
    >change because of the fact that older software might not be capable of
    >everything, all those people that refuse to upgrade their operating systems
    >(my dad still uses Windows 98, even though we have an extra XP system
    >sitting around) may have some problems, and all those companies with static
    >IP addresses will need to take care of some stuff. Even though it has some
    >backward compatibilities (It's been a while since I looked over the specs
    >for it, and even though I'm a developer, networking isn't my concentration),
    >it will be a big project for everyone. But I stopped hearing about it a
    >while ago, and with all the updates that have been going on lately (IE7 and
    >the increase in broadband usage, for example), I'm wondering when the
    >project will begin. Does anybody have any information on when the big
    >companies (Microsoft, Verizon, etc.) will start pushing this, and what some
    >of the next steps might be?

    Nathan,

    Many folks have been asking that question. One of the problems is that there
    are not a lot of folks using it, because there are not a lot of websites using
    it. And vice-versa. The fact that Windows Networking under XP doesn't work
    well with it probably doesn't help either.

    IPV6 will be a native part of the network stack in Vista. But will Vista drive
    its popularity?

    http://nitecruzrnews.blogspot.com/20...ve-future.html

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]

  3. Re: When will we start using it?

    The IP v6 stack is already alive and kicking in Vista (just look at your
    connection's properties). What you need is an IP v6 network to connect to.
    That means IP v6 router(s) and server(s), and these aren't very widespread
    yet. In fact, I haven't yet seen any consumer IP v6 routers or switches yet,
    and professional ones are *way* out of my budget.
    --
    Pierre Szwarc
    Paris, France

    "Nathan Sokalski" a écrit dans le message de news:
    O7egMVIgGHA.2032@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
    | Those of you that are technical people probably know that IPv6 has existed
    | for several years now (I'd have to check for the exact amount). But none
    of
    | the Internet Service Providers that I have used or looked at since then
    are
    | offering to use it with their customers yet. I realize that it is a major
    | change because of the fact that older software might not be capable of
    | everything, all those people that refuse to upgrade their operating
    systems
    | (my dad still uses Windows 98, even though we have an extra XP system
    | sitting around) may have some problems, and all those companies with
    static
    | IP addresses will need to take care of some stuff. Even though it has some
    | backward compatibilities (It's been a while since I looked over the specs
    | for it, and even though I'm a developer, networking isn't my
    concentration),
    | it will be a big project for everyone. But I stopped hearing about it a
    | while ago, and with all the updates that have been going on lately (IE7
    and
    | the increase in broadband usage, for example), I'm wondering when the
    | project will begin. Does anybody have any information on when the big
    | companies (Microsoft, Verizon, etc.) will start pushing this, and what
    some
    | of the next steps might be?
    | --
    | Nathan Sokalski
    | njsokalski@hotmail.com
    | http://www.nathansokalski.com/

  4. Re: IPv6: When will we start using it?

    It will probably be a sensible choice I guess if your entire network is
    using Longhorn Server/Vista.
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    "Chuck" wrote in message
    > On Fri, 26 May 2006 01:29:02 -0400, "Nathan Sokalski"
    >
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Those of you that are technical people probably know that IPv6 has existed
    >>for several years now (I'd have to check for the exact amount). But none
    >>of
    >>the Internet Service Providers that I have used or looked at since then
    >>are
    >>offering to use it with their customers yet. I realize that it is a major
    >>change because of the fact that older software might not be capable of
    >>everything, all those people that refuse to upgrade their operating
    >>systems
    >>(my dad still uses Windows 98, even though we have an extra XP system
    >>sitting around) may have some problems, and all those companies with
    >>static
    >>IP addresses will need to take care of some stuff. Even though it has some
    >>backward compatibilities (It's been a while since I looked over the specs
    >>for it, and even though I'm a developer, networking isn't my
    >>concentration),
    >>it will be a big project for everyone. But I stopped hearing about it a
    >>while ago, and with all the updates that have been going on lately (IE7
    >>and
    >>the increase in broadband usage, for example), I'm wondering when the
    >>project will begin. Does anybody have any information on when the big
    >>companies (Microsoft, Verizon, etc.) will start pushing this, and what
    >>some
    >>of the next steps might be?

    > Nathan,
    >
    > Many folks have been asking that question. One of the problems is that
    > there
    > are not a lot of folks using it, because there are not a lot of websites
    > using
    > it. And vice-versa. The fact that Windows Networking under XP doesn't
    > work
    > well with it probably doesn't help either.
    >
    > IPV6 will be a native part of the network stack in Vista. But will Vista
    > drive
    > its popularity?
    >
    > http://nitecruzrnews.blogspot.com/20...ve-future.html
    >
    > --
    > Cheers,
    > Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
    > http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
    > My email is AT DOT
    > actual address pchuck mvps org.

  5. Re: IPv6: When will we start using it?

    On Fri, 26 May 2006 07:03:13 -0700, "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]"
    wrote:

    >It will probably be a sensible choice I guess if your entire network is
    >using Longhorn Server/Vista.

    Right.

    So what will get an entire network using Longhorn / Vista? Is there really a
    business case for that?

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
    My email is AT DOT
    actual address pchuck mvps org.

  6. Re: IPv6: When will we start using it?

    No, but Siemens did do a massive roll out of Server 2003 on 8,000 Servers
    and XP on 400,000 desktops, plus Office and XP supports IPv6, so its not
    like the transition would be PITA.

    "Chuck" wrote in message
    > On Fri, 26 May 2006 07:03:13 -0700, "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>It will probably be a sensible choice I guess if your entire network is
    >>using Longhorn Server/Vista.

    > Right.
    >
    > So what will get an entire network using Longhorn / Vista? Is there
    > really a
    > business case for that?
    >
    > --
    > Cheers,
    > Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
    > http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
    > My email is AT DOT
    > actual address pchuck mvps org.

  7. Re: IPv6: When will we start using it?

    "Nathan Sokalski" wrote in

    > Does anybody have any information on when the big
    > companies (Microsoft, Verizon, etc.) will start pushing this, and
    > what some of the next steps might be?

    Look at computing history for your answer. Our company is still
    running some 16-bit GUI MS-Windows applications. 16-bit GUI MS-Windows
    applications first appeared in Windows 3.0 back in 1990. Now 17 years
    later, Microsoft is finally dropping support for them in the operating
    system. It's even worst for MS-DOS applications: you can run some MS-
    DOS programs from 1981 on existing Windows XP machines. That's _25
    years_ of compatibility!

    IPV6 also yields little to no benefit for most companies. Why drop
    Benjamins on something that doesn't produce immediate results?

    Adam
    --
    Visit my PC Tech blog at www.leinss.com/blog

  8. Re: IPv6: When will we start using it?

    It may not have any immediate benefits, but neither did websites when the
    first couple companies made them because not a large percentage of people
    were using the internet, but look at how much that helped them. Do you
    really want to try to do everything at once? If you never plan for the
    future, when the future does come, you'll be in the past.
    --

    "Adam Leinss" wrote in message
    > "Nathan Sokalski" wrote in
    >
    >> Does anybody have any information on when the big
    >> companies (Microsoft, Verizon, etc.) will start pushing this, and
    >> what some of the next steps might be?

    > Look at computing history for your answer. Our company is still
    > running some 16-bit GUI MS-Windows applications. 16-bit GUI MS-Windows
    > applications first appeared in Windows 3.0 back in 1990. Now 17 years
    > later, Microsoft is finally dropping support for them in the operating
    > system. It's even worst for MS-DOS applications: you can run some MS-
    > DOS programs from 1981 on existing Windows XP machines. That's _25
    > years_ of compatibility!
    >
    > IPV6 also yields little to no benefit for most companies. Why drop
    > Benjamins on something that doesn't produce immediate results?
    >
    > Adam
    > --
    > Visit my PC Tech blog at www.leinss.com/blog

  9. Re: IPv6: When will we start using it?

    Adam Leinss wrote:
    > "Nathan Sokalski" wrote in
    >
    >> Does anybody have any information on when the big
    >> companies (Microsoft, Verizon, etc.) will start pushing this, and
    >> what some of the next steps might be?

    > Look at computing history for your answer. Our company is still
    > running some 16-bit GUI MS-Windows applications. 16-bit GUI
    > MS-Windows applications first appeared in Windows 3.0 back in 1990.
    > Now 17 years later, Microsoft is finally dropping support for them in
    > the operating system. It's even worst for MS-DOS applications: you
    > can run some MS- DOS programs from 1981 on existing Windows XP
    > machines. That's _25 years_ of compatibility!
    >
    > IPV6 also yields little to no benefit for most companies. Why drop
    > Benjamins on something that doesn't produce immediate results?

    I'd second this point of view. I know some people who do regard it as
    important for their needs and hence are already using it.

    For the vast majority, what they currently have works well enough and they
    don't want to make changes to their currently working setup for little
    bottom line return on the balance sheet. "Because it's a theoretically
    better architecture" doesn't play well outside of the laboratory.

    Rob Moir, Microsoft MVP
    Blog Site - http://www.robertmoir.com
    Virtual PC 2004 FAQ - http://www.robertmoir.co.uk/win/VirtualPC2004FAQ.html
    I'm always surprised at "professionals" who STILL have to be asked "Have you
    checked (event viewer / syslog)".

+ Reply to Thread