Can't Connect to Network Share Over VPN - Network

This is a discussion on Can't Connect to Network Share Over VPN - Network ; I am connecting to my work network over a VPN. It connects fine and I can do many things as if I was plugged in at work including accessing my smtp server to send/reply to work email. I am connecting ...

  1. Can't Connect to Network Share Over VPN

    I am connecting to my work network over a VPN. It connects fine and I can do
    many things as if I was plugged in at work including accessing my smtp
    server to send/reply to work email. I am connecting to a domain. I have also
    tried using the "net use" command with the same results.

    When I try to map a network drive to a directory on one server it works, but
    doesn't on another. Both are defined in my hosts file. The one that maps can
    also be successfully pinged. The other cannot. It seems strange and related
    that I can see (and ping) one machine, but not the other, eventhough they
    are in the same subnet. When directly connected to the network all works
    fine.

    Here is some of the interaction:

    >net use * \\server\directory /user:domain\me

    System error 67 has occurred.
    The network name cannot be found.

    Start->Run: \\server

    Error dialog: No network provider accepted the given network path.

    I have seen some discussion of this on the web, but nothing that explains
    the problem or solution. Thanks for your help in advance.

    David

  2. Re: Can't Connect to Network Share Over VPN

    "DBB" wrote in message
    >I am connecting to my work network over a VPN. It connects fine and I can
    >do many things as if I was plugged in at work including accessing my smtp
    >server to send/reply to work email. I am connecting to a domain. I have
    >also tried using the "net use" command with the same results.
    >
    > When I try to map a network drive to a directory on one server it works,
    > but doesn't on another. Both are defined in my hosts file. The one that
    > maps can also be successfully pinged. The other cannot. It seems strange
    > and related that I can see (and ping) one machine, but not the other,
    > eventhough they are in the same subnet. When directly connected to the
    > network all works fine.
    >
    > Here is some of the interaction:
    >
    >>net use * \\server\directory /user:domain\me

    > System error 67 has occurred.
    > The network name cannot be found.

    "NAME cannot be found" generally implies a name resolution
    problem.

    Have you tried substitution the IP address for the name of
    the server:

    net use * \\ip.addr.of.server\directory /user:domain\me *

    > Start->Run: \\server
    >
    > Error dialog: No network provider accepted the given network path.
    >
    > I have seen some discussion of this on the web, but nothing that explains
    > the problem or solution. Thanks for your help in advance.

    Try your normal network troubleshooting methods when
    this happens, ping, tracert, as well as explicit SERVICE
    tests such as your "net use" with both NAME and IP
    ADDRESS.

    Prove you can route. Prove you can resolve names.

    Make sure (and prove) you are authenticated.

    --
    Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
    Accelerated MCSE

    > David

  3. Re: Can't Connect to Network Share Over VPN

    I agree with Herb as to always try using IP address instead of name as part
    of troubleshooting. If problems still persist check the filtering on the VPN
    server to make sure you are not restricted as to what IP addresses you can
    access via VPN which can be done in Remote Access Policies if you look in
    edit profile under tcp/ip input/output filters as one possible problem
    rea. --- Steve

    "Herb Martin" wrote in message
    > "DBB" wrote in message
    >>I am connecting to my work network over a VPN. It connects fine and I can
    >>do many things as if I was plugged in at work including accessing my smtp
    >>server to send/reply to work email. I am connecting to a domain. I have
    >>also tried using the "net use" command with the same results.
    >>
    >> When I try to map a network drive to a directory on one server it works,
    >> but doesn't on another. Both are defined in my hosts file. The one that
    >> maps can also be successfully pinged. The other cannot. It seems strange
    >> and related that I can see (and ping) one machine, but not the other,
    >> eventhough they are in the same subnet. When directly connected to the
    >> network all works fine.
    >>
    >> Here is some of the interaction:
    >>
    >>>net use * \\server\directory /user:domain\me

    >> System error 67 has occurred.
    >> The network name cannot be found.

    > "NAME cannot be found" generally implies a name resolution
    > problem.
    >
    > Have you tried substitution the IP address for the name of
    > the server:
    >
    > net use * \\ip.addr.of.server\directory /user:domain\me *
    >
    >> Start->Run: \\server
    >>
    >> Error dialog: No network provider accepted the given network path.
    >>
    >> I have seen some discussion of this on the web, but nothing that explains
    >> the problem or solution. Thanks for your help in advance.

    > Try your normal network troubleshooting methods when
    > this happens, ping, tracert, as well as explicit SERVICE
    > tests such as your "net use" with both NAME and IP
    > ADDRESS.
    >
    > Prove you can route. Prove you can resolve names.
    >
    > Make sure (and prove) you are authenticated.
    >
    > --
    > Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
    > Accelerated MCSE
    > http://www.LearnQuick.Com
    > [phone number on web site]
    >
    >> David

  4. Re: Can't Connect to Network Share Over VPN

    Thanks for the reply.

    The name is defined in my hosts file and seems to translate okay. I believe
    this because if I do a ping with the name it shows the IP address when
    trying to ping. Unfortunately the ping fails. It does work with other
    servers on the network.

    I will ask my admin guys to look at the remote access policies. Is there
    anything else you can think of that would allow some servers to be
    accessable and not others?

    Thanks again,
    David

+ Reply to Thread