VPN Connection - Network

This is a discussion on VPN Connection - Network ; I setup Routing and Remote Access server on Win 2003 server. I opened pptp and gre on the firewall. I connect fine when I connect from a pc on the LAN but when I try to connect from off-site it ...

  1. VPN Connection

    I setup Routing and Remote Access server on Win 2003 server. I opened pptp
    and gre on the firewall. I connect fine when I connect from a pc on the LAN
    but when I try to connect from off-site it hangs on verifying username and
    password and never connects. My VPN logs recognize the outside IP so I know I
    am getting through the firewall. Any ideas? It used to work...

  2. Re: VPN Connection

    Make sure that port 1723 TCP is open to the external adapter on the VPN
    server or port forwarded to it if using a NAT device. It is possible the
    problem is the firewall/internet router or host firewall in front of the VPN
    client. Usually they have an option to enable GRE or it is called pptp pass
    through so make sure that is enabled and check the logs on the firewalls for
    any helpful information such as dropped traffic at the time on the
    connection attempt. Also check the logs via Event Viewer on your VPN server
    that may have events that may help resolve the problem. The user of course
    needs too be allowed to dial in their user account and your Remote Access
    Policies could also be causing access denied if the user does not meet at
    least one Remote Access Policy rule/condition or is not using
    authentication, etc compatible with the server and Remote Access Policy
    --- Steve

    "Matthew Brewer" wrote in message
    >I setup Routing and Remote Access server on Win 2003 server. I opened pptp
    > and gre on the firewall. I connect fine when I connect from a pc on the
    > LAN
    > but when I try to connect from off-site it hangs on verifying username and
    > password and never connects. My VPN logs recognize the outside IP so I
    > know I
    > am getting through the firewall. Any ideas? It used to work...

+ Reply to Thread