group policy - Network

This is a discussion on group policy - Network ; I have a SBS 2003 server. I want to turn off windows firewall on my workstations, however, the check box is greyed out and it says that group policy will not allow it to be turned off. I'm the administrator, ...

  1. group policy

    I have a SBS 2003 server. I want to turn off windows firewall on my
    workstations, however, the check box is greyed out and it says that group
    policy will not allow it to be turned off. I'm the administrator, how do I
    configure goup policy on the server to allow this change. Keep in mind, this
    is a fresh install on the server. No configurations have been done to group
    policy accept the default settings when adding new users.
    --
    Thanks for your help.

    Kevin

  2. RE: group policy

    Kevin,

    Check the Group Policy under the following location:

    Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > > Network > Network
    Connections > Windows Firewall > Domain Profile

    Set the item “Windows Firewall: Protect all Network Connections” to disabled.

    This will turn off the firewall for machines with a live connection to the
    domain. Local users and admins will not able to turn it back on.

    If you want machines that are not connected to the domain to have the
    firewall off as well, you will need to disable the same setting under the
    "Standard Profile" section. This setting affects domain member machines when
    they are off of the network, such as laptops that users have taken home or
    are running from a remote location. I do not recommend disabling this one for
    obvious security reasons.

    Devin

    "Kevin" wrote:

    > I have a SBS 2003 server. I want to turn off windows firewall on my
    > workstations, however, the check box is greyed out and it says that group
    > policy will not allow it to be turned off. I'm the administrator, how do I
    > configure goup policy on the server to allow this change. Keep in mind, this
    > is a fresh install on the server. No configurations have been done to group
    > policy accept the default settings when adding new users.
    > --
    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > Kevin

+ Reply to Thread