SQL Server named instance problem with Windows Server 2003 - Network

This is a discussion on SQL Server named instance problem with Windows Server 2003 - Network ; Hi, I have installed SQL Server 2000 on a Windows Server 2003 machine with an instance name of "TestDB". But I cannot connect to this instance from another machines. It doen't even show up in the Enterprise Manager's "Register SQL ...

  1. SQL Server named instance problem with Windows Server 2003

    Hi,

    I have installed SQL Server 2000 on a Windows Server 2003 machine with an
    instance name of "TestDB".
    But I cannot connect to this instance from another machines. It doen't even
    show up in the Enterprise Manager's
    "Register SQL Server" window.

    But if I use the default instance, it works. Windows 2000 servers do not
    have this problem either.

    Thanks in advance,
    Soheil

  2. Re: SQL Server named instance problem with Windows Server 2003

    Hi
    Pls take a look at sp_addlinkedserver stored procedure in the BOL. You are
    going to create a linked server to the instance

    "Soheil" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have installed SQL Server 2000 on a Windows Server 2003 machine with an
    > instance name of "TestDB".
    > But I cannot connect to this instance from another machines. It doen't
    > even show up in the Enterprise Manager's
    > "Register SQL Server" window.
    >
    > But if I use the default instance, it works. Windows 2000 servers do not
    > have this problem either.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Soheil

  3. Re: SQL Server named instance problem with Windows Server 2003

    I do not want to link servers, I just want to connect to this server from a
    windows application.

    Regards,
    Soheil

    "Uri Dimant" wrote in message
    > Hi
    > Pls take a look at sp_addlinkedserver stored procedure in the BOL. You are
    > going to create a linked server to the instance
    >

    > "Soheil" wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have installed SQL Server 2000 on a Windows Server 2003 machine with an
    >> instance name of "TestDB".
    >> But I cannot connect to this instance from another machines. It doen't
    >> even show up in the Enterprise Manager's
    >> "Register SQL Server" window.
    >>
    >> But if I use the default instance, it works. Windows 2000 servers do not
    >> have this problem either.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance,
    >> Soheil

  4. Re: SQL Server named instance problem with Windows Server 2003

    Ok, then just type the full name and register , despite it is not showing up
    in the window's list

    "Soheil" wrote in message
    >I do not want to link servers, I just want to connect to this server from a
    >windows application.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Soheil
    >
    > "Uri Dimant" wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >> Pls take a look at sp_addlinkedserver stored procedure in the BOL. You
    >> are going to create a linked server to the instance
    >>

    >> "Soheil" wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I have installed SQL Server 2000 on a Windows Server 2003 machine with
    >>> an instance name of "TestDB".
    >>> But I cannot connect to this instance from another machines. It doen't
    >>> even show up in the Enterprise Manager's
    >>> "Register SQL Server" window.
    >>>
    >>> But if I use the default instance, it works. Windows 2000 servers do not
    >>> have this problem either.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance,
    >>> Soheil

  5. Re: SQL Server named instance problem with Windows Server 2003

    Doesn't work. I get the "SQL Server doesn't exist or access denied".

    "Uri Dimant" wrote in message
    > Ok, then just type the full name and register , despite it is not showing
    > up in the window's list
    >

    > "Soheil" wrote in message
    >>I do not want to link servers, I just want to connect to this server from
    >>a windows application.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Soheil
    >>
    >> "Uri Dimant" wrote in message
    >>> Hi
    >>> Pls take a look at sp_addlinkedserver stored procedure in the BOL. You
    >>> are going to create a linked server to the instance
    >>>

    >>> "Soheil" wrote in message

  6. Re: SQL Server named instance problem with Windows Server 2003

    How do you connect to the instance ? With Windows Authentication or Mixed
    one?

    Did you get the same error when you connect via Windows Authentication?

    "Soheil" wrote in message
    > Doesn't work. I get the "SQL Server doesn't exist or access denied".
    >
    > "Uri Dimant" wrote in message
    >> Ok, then just type the full name and register , despite it is not showing
    >> up in the window's list
    >>

    >> "Soheil" wrote in message
    >>>I do not want to link servers, I just want to connect to this server from
    >>>a windows application.
    >>>
    >>> Regards,
    >>> Soheil
    >>>
    >>> "Uri Dimant" wrote in message

  7. Re: SQL Server named instance problem with Windows Server 2003

    I use Mixed mode.
    Using Windows Authentication alone doesnt work neither.

    "Uri Dimant" wrote in message
    > How do you connect to the instance ? With Windows Authentication or Mixed
    > one?
    >
    > Did you get the same error when you connect via Windows Authentication?
    >

    > "Soheil" wrote in message
    >> Doesn't work. I get the "SQL Server doesn't exist or access denied".
    >>
    >> "Uri Dimant" wrote in message
    >>> Ok, then just type the full name and register , despite it is not
    >>> showing up in the window's list
    >>>

    >>> "Soheil" wrote in message

  8. Re: SQL Server named instance problem with Windows Server 2003

    Did you start the instance?
    sqlservr.exe -c -s {instancename}

    "Soheil" wrote in message
    >I use Mixed mode.
    > Using Windows Authentication alone doesnt work neither.
    >
    > "Uri Dimant" wrote in message
    >> How do you connect to the instance ? With Windows Authentication or Mixed
    >> one?
    >>
    >> Did you get the same error when you connect via Windows Authentication?
    >>

    >> "Soheil" wrote in message
    >>> Doesn't work. I get the "SQL Server doesn't exist or access denied".
    >>>
    >>> "Uri Dimant" wrote in message

  9. Re: SQL Server named instance problem with Windows Server 2003

    Yes, its started.

    "Uri Dimant" wrote in message
    > Did you start the instance?
    > sqlservr.exe -c -s {instancename}
    >

    > "Soheil" wrote in message
    >>I use Mixed mode.
    >> Using Windows Authentication alone doesnt work neither.
    >>
    >> "Uri Dimant" wrote in message
    >>> How do you connect to the instance ? With Windows Authentication or
    >>> Mixed
    >>> one?
    >>>
    >>> Did you get the same error when you connect via Windows Authentication?
    >>>

    >>> "Soheil" wrote in message

  10. Re: SQL Server named instance problem with Windows Server 2003

    Hi

    Do you really install the instance as it described in "How to install a
    named instance of SQL Server 2000 (Setup)"?

    If you do , I have no idea what is going on , sorry.

    I did just some testing on my machine and it worked fine.

    "Soheil" wrote in message
    > Yes, its started.
    >
    > "Uri Dimant" wrote in message
    >> Did you start the instance?
    >> sqlservr.exe -c -s {instancename}
    >>

    >> "Soheil" wrote in message
    >>>I use Mixed mode.
    >>> Using Windows Authentication alone doesnt work neither.
    >>>
    >>> "Uri Dimant" wrote in message

  11. Re: SQL Server named instance problem with Windows Server 2003

    hi,
    Soheil wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have installed SQL Server 2000 on a Windows Server 2003 machine
    > with an instance name of "TestDB".
    > But I cannot connect to this instance from another machines. It
    > doen't even show up in the Enterprise Manager's
    > "Register SQL Server" window.
    >
    > But if I use the default instance, it works. Windows 2000 servers do
    > not have this problem either.

    can you please chek, using the Server Network Utility (svrnetcn.exe), the
    desired network protocols are enabled?
    --
    Andrea Montanari (Microsoft MVP - SQL Server)
    http://www.asql.biz/DbaMgr.shtm http://italy.mvps.org

  12. Re: SQL Server named instance problem with Windows Server 2003

    Please don't cross-post like this. I see about 9 groups that are on the
    list that have *nothing* to do with SQL or this problem. (such as IPsec)

    "Andrea Montanari" wrote in message
    > hi,
    > Soheil wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have installed SQL Server 2000 on a Windows Server 2003 machine
    >> with an instance name of "TestDB".
    >> But I cannot connect to this instance from another machines. It
    >> doen't even show up in the Enterprise Manager's
    >> "Register SQL Server" window.
    >>
    >> But if I use the default instance, it works. Windows 2000 servers do
    >> not have this problem either.

    > can you please chek, using the Server Network Utility (svrnetcn.exe), the
    > desired network protocols are enabled?
    > --
    > Andrea Montanari (Microsoft MVP - SQL Server)
    > http://www.asql.biz/DbaMgr.shtm http://italy.mvps.org
    > DbaMgr2k ver 0.16.0 - DbaMgr ver 0.61.0
    > (my vb6+sql-dmo little try to provide MS MSDE 1.0 and MSDE 2000 a visual
    > interface)
    > --------- remove DMO to reply

  13. Re: SQL Server named instance problem with Windows Server 2003

    apoligise..
    --

    Steve Clark [MSFT] wrote:
    > Please don't cross-post like this. I see about 9 groups that are on
    > the list that have *nothing* to do with SQL or this problem. (such
    > as IPsec)
    > "Andrea Montanari" wrote in message
    >> hi,
    >> Soheil wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I have installed SQL Server 2000 on a Windows Server 2003 machine
    >>> with an instance name of "TestDB".
    >>> But I cannot connect to this instance from another machines. It
    >>> doen't even show up in the Enterprise Manager's
    >>> "Register SQL Server" window.
    >>>
    >>> But if I use the default instance, it works. Windows 2000 servers do
    >>> not have this problem either.

    >> can you please chek, using the Server Network Utility
    >> (svrnetcn.exe), the desired network protocols are enabled?
    >> --
    >> Andrea Montanari (Microsoft MVP - SQL Server)
    >> http://www.asql.biz/DbaMgr.shtm http://italy.mvps.org
    >> DbaMgr2k ver 0.16.0 - DbaMgr ver 0.61.0
    >> (my vb6+sql-dmo little try to provide MS MSDE 1.0 and MSDE 2000 a
    >> visual interface)
    >> --------- remove DMO to reply

+ Reply to Thread