Snap-In Creation Failed - Network

This is a discussion on Snap-In Creation Failed - Network ; Name: Group Policy Object Editor Dear all, does anyone know how to start the IPSec policy editor with this error message? I have modified those policies before an than I installed SP2 with an activated Firewall. Now I want to ...

  1. Snap-In Creation Failed

    Name: Group Policy Object Editor

    Dear all,

    does anyone know how to start the IPSec policy editor with this error
    message? I have modified those policies before an than I installed SP2 with
    an activated Firewall. Now I want to add some rules to activate SMB but I am
    not able to open the tool by secpol.msc.

    Sorry the broken english ....

    Patte

  2. Re: Snap-In Creation Failed

    "Patte" wrote in message
    > Name: Group Policy Object Editor
    >
    > Dear all,
    >
    > does anyone know how to start the IPSec policy editor with this error
    > message? I have modified those policies before an than I installed SP2
    > with
    > an activated Firewall. Now I want to add some rules to activate SMB but I
    > am
    > not able to open the tool by secpol.msc.

    You cannot easily run the firewall on the DC you wish to
    manage remotely -- without opening up (some) required
    ports.

    I don't know the answer but I would consider EITHER
    reinstalling AdminPak.MSI in case there are differences
    due to SP2 or maybe doing a REPAIR install.

    You SHOULD look for other (more specific) solutions first,
    i.e., before following my poor advice.

    > Sorry the broken english ....

    Your English is excellent; I wouldn't have notice if you
    hadn't apologized.

    Your English is clearly better than my [insert your native
    language here] and I TRY to speak several languages besides
    English.

    --
    Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
    Accelerated MCSE

    > Patte

  3. Re: Snap-In Creation Failed

    "You cannot easily run the firewall on the DC you wish to manage remotely --
    without opening up (some) required ports."

    Probably the best way to use Windows Firewall on a Domain Controller (on
    Windows Server 2003) is to install it using the Security Configuration
    Wizard (SCW). This will ensure that the correct ports are open and that
    other settings are configured correctly. It is also easier that doing it
    manually.

    You can find a Quick Start guide for the SCW at
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...0840aa70f.mspx

    I wasn't sure which OS you were talking about because you mentioned SP2
    (Windows XP) and then talked about a DC (which only installs on Windows
    Server), so I hope this info is useful.

    --
    =====================
    NOTE - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no

    "Herb Martin" wrote in message
    > "Patte" wrote in message
    >> Name: Group Policy Object Editor
    >>
    >> Dear all,
    >>
    >> does anyone know how to start the IPSec policy editor with this error
    >> message? I have modified those policies before an than I installed SP2
    >> with
    >> an activated Firewall. Now I want to add some rules to activate SMB but I
    >> am
    >> not able to open the tool by secpol.msc.

    > You cannot easily run the firewall on the DC you wish to
    > manage remotely -- without opening up (some) required
    > ports.
    >
    > I don't know the answer but I would consider EITHER
    > reinstalling AdminPak.MSI in case there are differences
    > due to SP2 or maybe doing a REPAIR install.
    >
    > You SHOULD look for other (more specific) solutions first,
    > i.e., before following my poor advice.
    >
    >> Sorry the broken english ....

    > Your English is excellent; I wouldn't have notice if you
    > hadn't apologized.
    >
    > Your English is clearly better than my [insert your native
    > language here] and I TRY to speak several languages besides
    > English.
    >

    > --
    > Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
    > Accelerated MCSE