Setup question: svr 2003 w/xp pro - Network

This is a discussion on Setup question: svr 2003 w/xp pro - Network ; here's current setup: 1 win 2003 ent server (domain is "test" 2 xp pro sp2 boxes 1 linksys router (dhcp enabled) 1 linksys pap router for vonage dig phone I want to setup win 2003 ent svr so i can ...

  1. Setup question: svr 2003 w/xp pro

    here's current setup:

    1 win 2003 ent server (domain is "test"
    2 xp pro sp2 boxes
    1 linksys router (dhcp enabled)
    1 linksys pap router for vonage dig phone

    I want to setup win 2003 ent svr so i can learn more about it by using it.
    I need the svr and the xp boxes to have web access. And I want to setup the
    xp boxes as client computers for the svr ("test" domain).

    What's the best way to set this up?

    Must I setup static ip's on one or all of the boxes?

    Am I right to think that I can't enable dhcp on the svr because it'll
    interfere with ip's assigned by dhcp on linksys router?

    And I can't setup dns on the svr because the xp boxes are getting dns info
    now from my broadband provider?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Setup question: svr 2003 w/xp pro

    Your question does not have anything to do about using ipsec as far as I can
    tell but yes you can set it up to work correctly.

    --- Make the W2003 server domain controller and DHCP server. Configure it to
    forward to the ISP DNS server for internet name resolution for the domain
    clients. Disable DHCP on the router device but it's IP will be the default
    gateway for all your computers. The domain controller must have a static IP
    and point only to itself by it's static IP address for preferred DNS server
    and all computers you want to join to the domain must point ONLY to the
    domain controller as their preferred DNS server. The link below explains
    almost everything you need to know about using DNS in an Active Directory
    domain. As you learn how to troubleshoot become very familiar with ipconfig,
    ping, tracert, and the support tools netdiag, dcdiag, gpresult, and gpotool.
    Also make it a habit of using Event Viewer quite a bit to check on the
    health of your computers. --- Steve

    http://support.microsoft.com/default...en-us%3B291382 --- DNS
    for AD
    http://labmice.techtarget.com/windows2003/default.htm --- Labmice link.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...deploykit.mspx
    --- Windows 2003 Server Deployment Kit

    "Flying J" wrote in message
    > here's current setup:
    >
    > 1 win 2003 ent server (domain is "test"
    > 2 xp pro sp2 boxes
    > 1 linksys router (dhcp enabled)
    > 1 linksys pap router for vonage dig phone
    >
    > I want to setup win 2003 ent svr so i can learn more about it by using it.
    > I need the svr and the xp boxes to have web access. And I want to setup
    > the
    > xp boxes as client computers for the svr ("test" domain).
    >
    > What's the best way to set this up?
    >
    > Must I setup static ip's on one or all of the boxes?
    >
    > Am I right to think that I can't enable dhcp on the svr because it'll
    > interfere with ip's assigned by dhcp on linksys router?
    >
    > And I can't setup dns on the svr because the xp boxes are getting dns info
    > now from my broadband provider?
    >
    > Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread