Multiple Subnets - Network

This is a discussion on Multiple Subnets - Network ; I thought I had done it correctly but we are having some issues. I have 2 servers each with 2 network cards. I plug one card on each into the LAN and one card on each into the DMZ. I ...

  1. Multiple Subnets

    I thought I had done it correctly but we are having some issues. I have 2
    servers each with 2 network cards. I plug one card on each into the LAN and
    one card on each into the DMZ. I then configured the IP's on both. The LAN
    is 192.168.0.1 subnet and the DMZ is a 209.148.x.x / 40 subnet. I thought
    that by not allowing traffic to flow between the cards would allow each to
    exist on there seperate domains. However, we are having the issue where
    people on the LAN can connect to either IP fine. But people from the WAN are
    unable to connect to the DMZ card. LAN is of course forbidden. I am assume
    that LAN can connect because the server is accepting traffic on the DMZ card
    but then communicating from the LAN. Which is why WAN is having problems.
    What have I missed to seperate the two?

  2. Re: Multiple Subnets

    "Daniel Kaliel" wrote in message
    >I thought I had done it correctly but we are having some issues. I have 2
    > servers each with 2 network cards. I plug one card on each into the LAN
    > and
    > one card on each into the DMZ. I then configured the IP's on both. The
    > LAN
    > is 192.168.0.1 subnet and the DMZ is a 209.148.x.x / 40 subnet. I thought
    > that by not allowing traffic to flow between the cards would allow each to
    > exist on there seperate domains. However, we are having the issue where
    > people on the LAN can connect to either IP fine. But people from the WAN
    > are
    > unable to connect to the DMZ card. LAN is of course forbidden. I am
    > assume
    > that LAN can connect because the server is accepting traffic on the DMZ
    > card
    > but then communicating from the LAN. Which is why WAN is having problems.
    > What have I missed to seperate the two?

    Not enough info....(see below*)

    But guessing, you have managed to register the internal NICs with
    the DNS used by the DMZ (and external) machines and so they are
    resolving to the wrong side NICs.

    * You need to systematically use tools like NSLookup, ping, tracert,
    IPConfig etc. to figure out how this is happening.

    --
    Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
    Accelerated MCSE

+ Reply to Thread