l2tp/ipsec help! - Network

This is a discussion on l2tp/ipsec help! - Network ; I have a 2003 std server configured with RAS on a DMZ port. I'm trying to secure my vpn since were using pptp without any problems. I have a CA server and obtain certificates on both end with preshare key. ...

  1. l2tp/ipsec help!

    I have a 2003 std server configured with RAS on a DMZ port. I'm trying to
    secure my vpn since were using pptp without any problems. I have a CA server
    and obtain certificates on both end with preshare key. Client is Winxp sp2
    and I followed the step by step instructions and not sure where to go next.
    The error I'm getting is 741 "local computer does not support the required
    data encryption type". If I set the server authentication method to none,
    then it connects. I'm sure its my authentication settings. Please help
    since I'm stuck with this problem for a week now... Thanks in advance!

  2. Re: l2tp/ipsec help!

    The link below may help get you started.

    You need to make sure that you have compatible settings for the VPN server,
    the VPN client, and in the Remote Access Policy. I would start by checking
    the Remote Access Policy using edit profile to make sure that high and
    highest are selected for encryption strength. Also check all three to make
    sure compatible authentication methods are being used. MschapV2 should be
    used by default unless you are using smart card or certificate or user
    authentication. The logs on the VPN server may also have helpful info. Once
    you have computer certificates on the VPN server and the VPN client you want
    to disable PSK on both VPN server and VPN client. PSK is best used for
    testing . --- Steve

    "chris" wrote in message
    >I have a 2003 std server configured with RAS on a DMZ port. I'm trying to
    > secure my vpn since were using pptp without any problems. I have a CA
    > server
    > and obtain certificates on both end with preshare key. Client is Winxp sp2
    > and I followed the step by step instructions and not sure where to go
    > next.
    > The error I'm getting is 741 "local computer does not support the required
    > data encryption type". If I set the server authentication method to none,
    > then it connects. I'm sure its my authentication settings. Please help
    > since I'm stuck with this problem for a week now... Thanks in advance!

+ Reply to Thread