Error:0x80090016 - Network

This is a discussion on Error:0x80090016 - Network ; I am attempting to install the certifcates needed for an L2TP client to connect to my Windows 2003 IPSEC VPN. On many machines, I am able to get all of the certificates installed properly, but on some machines that are ...

  1. Error:0x80090016

    I am attempting to install the certifcates needed for an L2TP client to
    connect to my Windows 2003 IPSEC VPN. On many machines, I am able to get
    all of the certificates installed properly, but on some machines that are
    not members of the domain, I get the error "Unable to install the
    certificate. Error:0x80090016"

    The specific machine that I am currently trying to solve this problem on is
    a Workgroup computer with SP2.

    Any ideas??

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: Error:0x80090016

    That error maps to NTE_BadKeySet which in the cases where I've seen it is
    generally caused by bad permissions on the MachineKeys directory.
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application
    Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys

    Default Permissions for the MachineKeys directory:

    Machine Cert can't be installed on WinXP :

    jason

    "BigV" wrote in message
    >I am attempting to install the certifcates needed for an L2TP client to
    >connect to my Windows 2003 IPSEC VPN. On many machines, I am able to get
    >all of the certificates installed properly, but on some machines that are
    >not members of the domain, I get the error "Unable to install the
    >certificate. Error:0x80090016"
    >
    > The specific machine that I am currently trying to solve this problem on
    > is a Workgroup computer with SP2.
    >
    > Any ideas??
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

  3. Re: Error:0x80090016

    Thanks Jason! I appreciate your help. You were correct that it was a
    permissions problem on the MachineKeys directory. We have automated our
    install to set the permissions on this directory and the problem went away!

    Vance

    "Jason Popp [MSFT]" wrote in message
    > That error maps to NTE_BadKeySet which in the cases where I've seen it is
    > generally caused by bad permissions on the MachineKeys directory.
    > C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application
    > Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys
    >
    > Default Permissions for the MachineKeys directory:
    >
    > Machine Cert can't be installed on WinXP :
    >
    > jason
    >

    > "BigV" wrote in message
    >>I am attempting to install the certifcates needed for an L2TP client to
    >>connect to my Windows 2003 IPSEC VPN. On many machines, I am able to get
    >>all of the certificates installed properly, but on some machines that are
    >>not members of the domain, I get the error "Unable to install the
    >>certificate. Error:0x80090016"
    >>
    >> The specific machine that I am currently trying to solve this problem on
    >> is a Workgroup computer with SP2.
    >>
    >> Any ideas??
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.

+ Reply to Thread