Error 1747 when startin IPSec Service - Network

This is a discussion on Error 1747 when startin IPSec Service - Network ; Hi, My computer has WinXP Pro. I was trying to configure a VPN access to my university, but got a message from IPSec manager (secpol.msc) that the IPSec Service (Policy Agent) was not running. When I try to start the ...

  1. Error 1747 when startin IPSec Service

    Hi,

    My computer has WinXP Pro. I was trying to configure a VPN
    access to my university, but got a message from IPSec manager (secpol.msc)
    that the IPSec Service (Policy Agent) was not running.
    When I try to start the service I receive the following
    error message "Could not start the IPSEC Services service
    on Local Computer. Error 1747: The authentication service
    is unknown." Any thoughts?

    Thanks in advance for all help.

  2. Re: Error 1747 when startin IPSec Service

    "AngeloCL" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > My computer has WinXP Pro. I was trying to configure a VPN
    > access to my university, but got a message from IPSec manager (secpol.msc)

    What VPN software? RRAS? Did you create any RRAS filters?

    Domain machine or stand-alone (workgroup)?

    Are any IPSec policies enabled (LGPO or domain GPOs)?

    > that the IPSec Service (Policy Agent) was not running.
    > When I try to start the service I receive the following
    > error message "Could not start the IPSEC Services service
    > on Local Computer. Error 1747: The authentication service
    > is unknown."

    If it is a Domain machine, perhaps it is directly related to what
    it says "authentication". IPSec requires secure authentication
    (Kerberos, Certificates, or Pre-shared secrets) -- Have you
    been disabling any other services -- perhaps one of those is a
    dependency....

    > Any thoughts?

    Are you running any firewalls? Which ones? Have you tried
    disabling these?

    What about virus checkers?

    Try running NetDiag on the machine (capture output and repair
    any errors, netdiag /fix may help as well, or post errors here.)

    --
    Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
    Accelerated MCSE

    > Thanks in advance for all help.

  3. RE: Error 1747 when startin IPSec Service

    I think I got it. I kept searching the internet for more information and found
    a suggestion to check if microsoft network client was installed. I did so, but
    disabled for my network interface, restarted my computer and it worked.
    Thanks anyway.

    AngeloCL

    "AngeloCL" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > My computer has WinXP Pro. I was trying to configure a VPN
    > access to my university, but got a message from IPSec manager (secpol.msc)
    > that the IPSec Service (Policy Agent) was not running.
    > When I try to start the service I receive the following
    > error message "Could not start the IPSEC Services service
    > on Local Computer. Error 1747: The authentication service
    > is unknown." Any thoughts?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for all help.

+ Reply to Thread