Clear definition of main mode and quick mode - Network

This is a discussion on Clear definition of main mode and quick mode - Network ; I have been reading as much as I can about them, but I have not seen any information explaining the CLEAR difference. I see main mode as the initial conversation between to computers and quick mode any subsequent connections. But ...

  1. Clear definition of main mode and quick mode

    I have been reading as much as I can about them, but I have not seen any
    information explaining the CLEAR difference. I see main mode as the initial
    conversation between to computers and quick mode any subsequent connections.
    But I would like to find out more detail.

    This question also includes how to read the ipsec security monitor which is
    broken up into two parts: main mode and quick mode. I would like to know the
    differences between what information is displayed in each area.

  2. Re: Clear definition of main mode and quick mode

    Have you seen the link below from the Cable Guy [love his stuff] ? It gives
    a pretty understandable explanation.

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...spx?frame=true

    Basically main mode is where the initial SA is established, where computers
    authenticate to each other, and the master shared secret keys are created.
    Diffie-Hellman exchange and computer authentication is only done in main
    mode.

    Quick mode is in addition to main mode and is where the specific "filters
    lists" for the ipsec policy are implemented. The secure channel is
    established between the two computers to protect data that is specified
    within the filters and ipsec SA's are created for each direction of
    traffic - inbound and outbound each with their own SPI. --- Steve

    "MGM" wrote in message
    >I have been reading as much as I can about them, but I have not seen any
    > information explaining the CLEAR difference. I see main mode as the
    > initial
    > conversation between to computers and quick mode any subsequent
    > connections.
    > But I would like to find out more detail.
    >
    > This question also includes how to read the ipsec security monitor which
    > is
    > broken up into two parts: main mode and quick mode. I would like to know
    > the
    > differences between what information is displayed in each area.

+ Reply to Thread