IPSec on XPpro clients - Network

This is a discussion on IPSec on XPpro clients - Network ; I enabled the Client (Respond Only) policy on my XPpro workstations and now I'm getting this error in my application event logs on every group policy refresh cycle: "The Group Policy client-side extension IP Security failed to execute. Please look ...

  1. IPSec on XPpro clients

    I enabled the Client (Respond Only) policy on my XPpro workstations and now
    I'm getting this error in my application event logs on every group policy
    refresh cycle:

    "The Group Policy client-side extension IP Security failed to execute.
    Please look for any errors reported earlier by that extension."

    There are no other errors reported by that extension and IPSec seems to be
    working but I don't want to ignore these errors. Has anyone else seen this?

  2. Re: IPSec on XPpro clients

    What method of authetication are you using (PSK, Kerberos or certificates)?

    Is it the same on both client and server?

    Are you in a domain with GPOs?

    Need more info to debug your issue.

    Edward W. Ray
    CCIE, CISSP, GCIA, GCIH, MCSE 2003+Security, PE

    "Mike Davis" wrote in message
    >I enabled the Client (Respond Only) policy on my XPpro workstations and now
    >I'm getting this error in my application event logs on every group policy
    >refresh cycle:
    >
    > "The Group Policy client-side extension IP Security failed to execute.
    > Please look for any errors reported earlier by that extension."
    >
    > There are no other errors reported by that extension and IPSec seems to be
    > working but I don't want to ignore these errors. Has anyone else seen
    > this?

  3. Re: IPSec on XPpro clients

    That error implies that there is a group policy processing failure on the
    system. Group policy is the system component used to deliver IPsec policy
    settings to systems in an AD environment. I'd probably start by going over
    any and all group policy events in the system's app and system logs, paying
    particular attention to USERENV issues. If that is not telling you enough,
    I'd then move on to enabling USERENV debug logging to get more information.

    jason

    "Mike Davis" wrote in message
    >I enabled the Client (Respond Only) policy on my XPpro workstations and now
    >I'm getting this error in my application event logs on every group policy
    >refresh cycle:
    >
    > "The Group Policy client-side extension IP Security failed to execute.
    > Please look for any errors reported earlier by that extension."
    >
    > There are no other errors reported by that extension and IPSec seems to be
    > working but I don't want to ignore these errors. Has anyone else seen
    > this?

+ Reply to Thread