Re: xp as VPN Server? - Network

This is a discussion on Re: xp as VPN Server? - Network ; Hi there, I've heard something about VPN not working with XP Pro with SP2.... Is this true? And if so, would there be a workaround? Thanks, Gordon "Jens Baier" wrote in message news:ewKZB$XgFHA.2840@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > > How can ...

  1. Re: xp as VPN Server?

    http://www.zdnetasia.com/insight/net...0223c-1,00.htm

    > regards Jens
    > www.nt-faq.de

  2. Re: xp as VPN Server?

    Not true. I have several XP Sp2 machines connecting via VPN. Typically
    people don't realize that Sp2 enables the firewall and that typically blocks
    the needed ports. Simply configuring the firewall for VPN connections should
    get you around any issues.

    --
    Scott Harding
    MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

    "Gordon J. Rattray" wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I've heard something about VPN not working with XP Pro with SP2....
    >
    > Is this true? And if so, would there be a workaround?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Gordon
    >

    > "Jens Baier" wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> > How can I set up Windows XP as a VPN Server?

    >> only one concurrent icoming VPN connection at the same time.
    >> http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networ...vpn_server.htm
    >>

    > http://www.zdnetasia.com/insight/net...0223c-1,00.htm
    >>
    >> regards Jens
    >> www.nt-faq.de

  3. Re: xp as VPN Server?

    It works fine - at least as a client. There was a configuration change with
    the way it handles NAT-T as a client. --- Steve

    "Gordon J. Rattray" wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I've heard something about VPN not working with XP Pro with SP2....
    >
    > Is this true? And if so, would there be a workaround?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Gordon
    >

    > "Jens Baier" wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> > How can I set up Windows XP as a VPN Server?

    >> only one concurrent icoming VPN connection at the same time.
    >> http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networ...vpn_server.htm
    >>

    > http://www.zdnetasia.com/insight/net...0223c-1,00.htm
    >>
    >> regards Jens
    >> www.nt-faq.de

  4. Re: xp as VPN Server?

    Hmm, currently I have it test set up between 2 machines with a crossover and
    both machines are static IPs.

    They can ping each other and one is the server as an IP address of 192.0.0.2
    and the client is 192.0.0.1 and firewalls are off on both machines.

    But I still can't make a go of a VPN connection....

    Any ideas?

    Thanks,

    Gordon

    "Scott Harding" wrote in message
    > Not true. I have several XP Sp2 machines connecting via VPN. Typically
    > people don't realize that Sp2 enables the firewall and that typically

    blocks
    > the needed ports. Simply configuring the firewall for VPN connections

    should
    > get you around any issues.
    >
    > --
    > Scott Harding
    > MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+
    > Microsoft MVP - Windows Server Networking
    >
    > "Gordon J. Rattray" wrote in message
    > > Hi there,
    > >
    > > I've heard something about VPN not working with XP Pro with SP2....
    > >
    > > Is this true? And if so, would there be a workaround?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Gordon
    > >

    > > "Jens Baier" wrote in message
    > >> Hi,

    > >> only one concurrent icoming VPN connection at the same time.
    > >> http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networ...vpn_server.htm

    http://www.zdnetasia.com/insight/net...0223c-1,00.htm

    > >> regards Jens
    > >> www.nt-faq.de

  5. Re: xp as VPN Server?

    Hi Scott,

    Thanks for the input.

    I've got as far as trying to get through a LinkSys BEFSR81 router with a
    message that keeps coming up "verifying username and password".

    It seems stuck at the router for this. I have enabled port 1723 forwarding
    to the server in the network.

    One note.....when I have a VPN client on the same network, it goes right
    through and logs right in without any problem.

    It's only with the router in the way that it stops at that "verifying
    username and password" message, so even though both client and server
    firewalls are turned off, it's not them that's causing the problem, but
    rather the router.....

    Any ideas?

    Thanks,

    Gordon
    "Scott Harding" wrote in message
    > Not true. I have several XP Sp2 machines connecting via VPN. Typically
    > people don't realize that Sp2 enables the firewall and that typically

    blocks
    > the needed ports. Simply configuring the firewall for VPN connections

    should
    > get you around any issues.
    >
    > --
    > Scott Harding
    > MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+
    > Microsoft MVP - Windows Server Networking
    >
    > "Gordon J. Rattray" wrote in message
    > > Hi there,
    > >
    > > I've heard something about VPN not working with XP Pro with SP2....
    > >
    > > Is this true? And if so, would there be a workaround?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Gordon
    > >

    > > "Jens Baier" wrote in message
    > >> Hi,

    > >> only one concurrent icoming VPN connection at the same time.
    > >> http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networ...vpn_server.htm

    http://www.zdnetasia.com/insight/net...0223c-1,00.htm

    > >> regards Jens
    > >> www.nt-faq.de

  6. Re: xp as VPN Server?

    After sticking his head out from his XP firewall, Gordon J. Rattray had this
    to say:

    > Hi Scott,
    >
    > Thanks for the input.
    >
    > I've got as far as trying to get through a LinkSys BEFSR81 router with a
    > message that keeps coming up "verifying username and password".
    >
    > It seems stuck at the router for this. I have enabled port 1723 forwarding
    > to the server in the network.
    >
    > One note.....when I have a VPN client on the same network, it goes right
    > through and logs right in without any problem.
    >
    > It's only with the router in the way that it stops at that "verifying
    > username and password" message, so even though both client and server
    > firewalls are turned off, it's not them that's causing the problem, but
    > rather the router.....
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Will this help ...

    http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sectio...le49-page1.php

    --
    Still running XP (The Toy Operating System eXPerience)?
    Kiddies, don't forget to defrag your hard drive & update your virus

  7. Re: xp as VPN Server?

    I seem to recall that on Linksys router (without built-in VPN) usually also
    have a setting where you have to "enable PPTP" pass-thru.

    > Hi Scott,
    >
    > Thanks for the input.
    >
    > I've got as far as trying to get through a LinkSys BEFSR81 router with a
    > message that keeps coming up "verifying username and password".
    >
    > It seems stuck at the router for this. I have enabled port 1723 forwarding
    > to the server in the network.
    >
    > One note.....when I have a VPN client on the same network, it goes right
    > through and logs right in without any problem.
    >
    > It's only with the router in the way that it stops at that "verifying
    > username and password" message, so even though both client and server
    > firewalls are turned off, it's not them that's causing the problem, but
    > rather the router.....
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Gordon
    > "Scott Harding" wrote in message
    >> Not true. I have several XP Sp2 machines connecting via VPN. Typically
    >> people don't realize that Sp2 enables the firewall and that typically

    > blocks
    >> the needed ports. Simply configuring the firewall for VPN connections

    > should
    >> get you around any issues.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Scott Harding
    >> MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+
    >> Microsoft MVP - Windows Server Networking
    >>
    >> "Gordon J. Rattray" wrote in message
    >> > Hi there,
    >> >
    >> > I've heard something about VPN not working with XP Pro with SP2....
    >> >
    >> > Is this true? And if so, would there be a workaround?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks,
    >> >
    >> > Gordon
    >> >

    >> > "Jens Baier" wrote in message

    > http://www.zdnetasia.com/insight/net...0223c-1,00.htm

  8. Re: xp as VPN Server?

    1723 is only for Microsoft PPTP VPN

    "Gordon J. Rattray" wrote in message
    > Hi Scott,
    >
    > Thanks for the input.
    >
    > I've got as far as trying to get through a LinkSys BEFSR81 router with a
    > message that keeps coming up "verifying username and password".
    >
    > It seems stuck at the router for this. I have enabled port 1723 forwarding
    > to the server in the network.
    >
    > One note.....when I have a VPN client on the same network, it goes right
    > through and logs right in without any problem.
    >
    > It's only with the router in the way that it stops at that "verifying
    > username and password" message, so even though both client and server
    > firewalls are turned off, it's not them that's causing the problem, but
    > rather the router.....
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Gordon
    > "Scott Harding" wrote in message
    >> Not true. I have several XP Sp2 machines connecting via VPN. Typically
    >> people don't realize that Sp2 enables the firewall and that typically

    > blocks
    >> the needed ports. Simply configuring the firewall for VPN connections

    > should
    >> get you around any issues.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Scott Harding
    >> MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+
    >> Microsoft MVP - Windows Server Networking
    >>
    >> "Gordon J. Rattray" wrote in message
    >> > Hi there,
    >> >
    >> > I've heard something about VPN not working with XP Pro with SP2....
    >> >
    >> > Is this true? And if so, would there be a workaround?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks,
    >> >
    >> > Gordon
    >> >

    >> > "Jens Baier" wrote in message

    > http://www.zdnetasia.com/insight/net...0223c-1,00.htm