Netscreen 100 + - Network

This is a discussion on Netscreen 100 + - Network ; I've got the opportunity to purchase a Netscreen 100 from a friend who works for a company who no longer is using it, at a very good price. I've been looking at a decent hardware firewall for a while now ...

  1. Netscreen 100 +

    I've got the opportunity to purchase a Netscreen 100
    from a friend who works for a company who no longer is using it,
    at a very good price.

    I've been looking at a decent hardware firewall for a while now
    and this looks like it will fit the bill nicely.

    My current config consists of a basic ADSL router, and I'm making
    use of the firewall on it. It's in a flatting environment, so
    at this stage, I've managed to hit the wall for the amount of
    port ranges that I can open (10).

    What I would like to know is, in a NAT situation, how many ports
    (or port ranges) can I open to allow access to computers
    from the untrusted side to the trusted side?

    Obviously I'm going to be needing more than 10 to make it worth
    considering buying for me.

    The other question is, how many custom services can I create?
    Obviously this is equally as important, as I'm going to have
    several custom ones to cover the service double ups between myself
    and the flatmates.

    I've also got the opportunity to buy a Zyxel Zywall 10 from the
    same person. The above two questions apply, and does anyone have
    experience with both to be able to give a comparison (or even if
    you only have experience with one of the devices, could you do a
    quick write up on why I should buy it).

    Thanks,

    Vinnie.

  2. Re: Netscreen 100 + Zyxel Zywall 10

    Ooops, title wrong...

    Vinnie wrote:

    > I've got the opportunity to purchase a Netscreen 100
    > from a friend who works for a company who no longer is using it,
    > at a very good price.
    >
    > I've been looking at a decent hardware firewall for a while now
    > and this looks like it will fit the bill nicely.
    >
    > My current config consists of a basic ADSL router, and I'm making
    > use of the firewall on it. It's in a flatting environment, so
    > at this stage, I've managed to hit the wall for the amount of
    > port ranges that I can open (10).
    >
    > What I would like to know is, in a NAT situation, how many ports
    > (or port ranges) can I open to allow access to computers
    > from the untrusted side to the trusted side?
    >
    > Obviously I'm going to be needing more than 10 to make it worth
    > considering buying for me.
    >
    > The other question is, how many custom services can I create?
    > Obviously this is equally as important, as I'm going to have
    > several custom ones to cover the service double ups between myself
    > and the flatmates.
    >

    > I've also got the opportunity to buy a Zyxel Zywall 10 from the
    > same person. The above two questions apply, and does anyone have
    > experience with both to be able to give a comparison (or even if
    > you only have experience with one of the devices, could you do a
    > quick write up on why I should buy it).
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Vinnie.

  3. Re: Netscreen 100 + Zyxel Zywall 10