Network Cable Unplugged, nforce ethernet adapter crashed (Asus A8N Sli) - Network

This is a discussion on Network Cable Unplugged, nforce ethernet adapter crashed (Asus A8N Sli) - Network ; Hi, My nforce ethernet adapter 'crashes' during games like guild wars or warcraft 3. the connection suddenly gets lost and windows pops up with a little balloon saying 'network cable unplugged'. Whenever that happens, a simple reboot of the system ...

  1. Network Cable Unplugged, nforce ethernet adapter crashed (Asus A8N Sli)

    Hi,
    My nforce ethernet adapter 'crashes' during games like guild wars or
    warcraft 3.
    the connection suddenly gets lost and windows pops up with a little
    balloon saying 'network cable unplugged'.
    Whenever that happens, a simple reboot of the system won't help: i need
    to unplug the power cord for not less than 20 seconds to make the
    ethernet adapter work again.
    The problem doesn't occur when I'm just browsing the internet or using
    ICQ.
    I installed all current drivers (Ethernet NRM Driver 4.82 & 5.09, tried
    both; BIOS version 1014; Nforce Drivers 6.69.)
    I also bypassed the router and plugged the cable directly into the
    cable modem and deactivated all firewalls . The problem still persists.

    I'd appreciate any help.

    Greets Bojan

    __________________
    My System:
    AMD 2x 3800
    Asus A8N Sli
    Win XP 64
    2 Gb Kingston
    200 Gb Samsung Spinpoint

    Bojan

  2. Re: Network Cable Unplugged, nforce ethernet adapter crashed (Asus A8N Sli)

    Rabbit25 wrote:

    > Hi,
    > My nforce ethernet adapter 'crashes' during games like guild wars or
    > warcraft 3.
    > the connection suddenly gets lost and windows pops up with a little
    > balloon saying 'network cable unplugged'.
    > Whenever that happens, a simple reboot of the system won't help: i
    > need to unplug the power cord for not less than 20 seconds to make the
    > ethernet adapter work again.
    > The problem doesn't occur when I'm just browsing the internet or using
    > ICQ.
    > I installed all current drivers (Ethernet NRM Driver 4.82 & 5.09,
    > tried both; BIOS version 1014; Nforce Drivers 6.69.)
    > I also bypassed the router and plugged the cable directly into the
    > cable modem and deactivated all firewalls . The problem still
    > persists.

    > My System:
    > AMD 2x 3800
    > Asus A8N Sli
    > Win XP 64
    > 2 Gb Kingston
    > 200 Gb Samsung Spinpoint

    Things to try, doing only one thing at a time and testing after each
    change:

    1. Swap out your ethernet cable for a known-working one.
    2. Check the settings on your NIC. Is it set to automatic? Maybe you set
    it to half-duplex? I've got Asus boards with that NIC on two machines
    and never set anything special, but it doesn't hurt for you to check.
    3. Try a PCI network card. You can get a decent one for under $20usd.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers

  3. Re: Network Cable Unplugged, nforce ethernet adapter crashed (Asus A8N Sli)

    I had a similar problem like this half a year ago. I was on Road Runner
    cable service and my Internet would crash during online games. When surfing
    the web, my internet speed was down to a crawl. Every now and then, usually
    around an hour to an hour and a half, my cable modem would completely crash
    and I had to unplug it along with my Linksys router.
    Back to your problem. Some of the things I tried included:
    1. Updating the firmware of my router to its latest version. No luck.
    2. Tried using a new network cable. No luck.
    3. Used a different computer with different configurations. No luck.
    4. Called Road Runner to reset my modem. No luck.
    5. Bypassed my router and connected directly to cable modem. No luck.
    6. Had service technician come to check it out. Basically did all the other
    things I did and concluded that I basically had to deal wih the slow speed
    because he did not know what was going on (very knowledeable huh) No luck.
    7. Finally, I came to a conclusion that my cable modem was at fault and
    exchanged it for a new one. Voila....case solved.

    Basically you can try doing all those things I just mentioned along with the
    other solutions other techies post here. If none work, you can suspect the
    cable modem to be at fault and exchange it for a new one. Hopefully, they
    can give you a newer version of their modem in case your's is outdated.

    "Rabbit25" wrote in message
    news:1137325996.635974.126990@f14g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hi,
    > My nforce ethernet adapter 'crashes' during games like guild wars or
    > warcraft 3.
    > the connection suddenly gets lost and windows pops up with a little
    > balloon saying 'network cable unplugged'.
    > Whenever that happens, a simple reboot of the system won't help: i need
    > to unplug the power cord for not less than 20 seconds to make the
    > ethernet adapter work again.
    > The problem doesn't occur when I'm just browsing the internet or using
    > ICQ.
    > I installed all current drivers (Ethernet NRM Driver 4.82 & 5.09, tried
    > both; BIOS version 1014; Nforce Drivers 6.69.)
    > I also bypassed the router and plugged the cable directly into the
    > cable modem and deactivated all firewalls . The problem still persists.
    >
    > I'd appreciate any help.
    >
    > Greets Bojan
    >
    > __________________
    > My System:
    > AMD 2x 3800
    > Asus A8N Sli
    > Win XP 64
    > 2 Gb Kingston
    > 200 Gb Samsung Spinpoint
    >
    > Bojan

  4. Re: Network Cable Unplugged, nforce ethernet adapter crashed (Asus A8N Sli)

    My NForce ethernet drivers and applications I installed crashed all the
    time on my Windows 2003 x64, which is the same as Windows XP x64
    although I had the latest drivers. I had to disable the NVidia Firewall
    and uninstall the NForce Firewall application.

    I have the Deluxe motherboard so I have dual NICs and now I use the
    other Marvell Yukon Gigabit card instead. With the Marvell Yukon card I
    had problems sometimes that the Network stops, but I haven't
    experienced that since I upgraded to the latest Marvell x64 drivers.

+ Reply to Thread