Block all NIC outgoing traffic in Windows XP SP2?? - Network

This is a discussion on Block all NIC outgoing traffic in Windows XP SP2?? - Network ; Hi, Is there a software way to block all NIC outgoing traffic in Windows XP SP2 (hack NIC drivers, Windows prompt command...)? I don't want any outgoing packets (including DHCP, ARP, etc.) to leave my NIC. I want to do ...

  1. Block all NIC outgoing traffic in Windows XP SP2??

    Hi,

    Is there a software way to block all NIC outgoing traffic in Windows XP SP2
    (hack NIC drivers, Windows prompt command...)? I don't want any outgoing
    packets (including DHCP, ARP, etc.) to leave my NIC. I want to do this to
    monitor network traffic on a hub, without interferring with other packets. I
    want to be the most passive. I saw some suggestion to make a receive only
    cable but I don't have access to such cable making tools so I just want a
    software way to block all packets transmission on my NIC. I just want to
    receive packets. I have an Intel Pro 10/100 NIC adapter with a straight
    cable connected to a 100 Mbs hub .

    Yannick

  2. Re: Block all NIC outgoing traffic in Windows XP SP2??

    Yannick Drolet wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Is there a software way to block all NIC outgoing traffic in Windows XP
    > SP2 (hack NIC drivers, Windows prompt command...)? I don't want any
    > outgoing packets (including DHCP, ARP, etc.) to leave my NIC. I want to do
    > this to monitor network traffic on a hub, without interferring with other
    > packets. I want to be the most passive. I saw some suggestion to make a
    > receive only cable but I don't have access to such cable making tools so I
    > just want a software way to block all packets transmission on my NIC. I
    > just want to receive packets. I have an Intel Pro 10/100 NIC adapter with
    > a straight cable connected to a 100 Mbs hub .
    >
    > Yannick

    If it's your typical, run of the mill, straight through ethernet cable, just
    cut either pin 1 or pin 2 on one end of the cable. That would correspond to
    the green and green/white TX (transmit) pair. You would then have a
    "stealth cable" that you could use over and over again. I keep a short one
    in my briefcase, with a rj-45 female to female adapter. Works great if you
    are called upon to monitor a network and aren't allowed to be "on the
    wires".

    As for an XP software solution. Any of the commercial, third-party stuff
    would probably work ok. The XP included firewall can't be trusted to do
    what you want. It is, after all, a Microsoft creature that does the bidding
    of it's master.

    Cheers.

    --

    ************************************************** ****************************
    Registered Linux User Number 185956

  3. Re: Block all NIC outgoing traffic in Windows XP SP2??

    Jerry McBride wrote:
    > Yannick Drolet wrote:
    >

    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>Is there a software way to block all NIC outgoing traffic in Windows XP
    >>SP2 (hack NIC drivers, Windows prompt command...)? I don't want any
    >>outgoing packets (including DHCP, ARP, etc.) to leave my NIC. I want to do
    >>this to monitor network traffic on a hub, without interferring with other
    >>packets. I want to be the most passive. I saw some suggestion to make a
    >>receive only cable but I don't have access to such cable making tools so I
    >>just want a software way to block all packets transmission on my NIC. I
    >>just want to receive packets. I have an Intel Pro 10/100 NIC adapter with
    >>a straight cable connected to a 100 Mbs hub .
    >>
    >>Yannick

    > If it's your typical, run of the mill, straight through ethernet cable, just
    > cut either pin 1 or pin 2 on one end of the cable. That would correspond to
    > the green and green/white TX (transmit) pair. You would then have a
    > "stealth cable" that you could use over and over again. I keep a short one
    > in my briefcase, with a rj-45 female to female adapter. Works great if you
    > are called upon to monitor a network and aren't allowed to be "on the
    > wires".
    >
    > As for an XP software solution. Any of the commercial, third-party stuff
    > would probably work ok. The XP included firewall can't be trusted to do
    > what you want. It is, after all, a Microsoft creature that does the bidding
    > of it's master.
    >
    > Cheers.

    Is it really a hub or is it a switch? switches by default won't show you all traffic it's not meant for your MAC addresses. If
    you're using a Cisco managed switch you can create a mon port that will see all traffic for monitoring purposes. Most monitors also
    allow you to filter out specific traffic (like your own).

    Dennis

  4. Re: Block all NIC outgoing traffic in Windows XP SP2??

    When you said pin 1, you mean the 1st white wire? The 2 green wires were
    in the middle of my Ethernet cable.

    TIA

    Jerry McBride wrote:
    > Yannick Drolet wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Is there a software way to block all NIC outgoing traffic in Windows XP
    >> SP2 (hack NIC drivers, Windows prompt command...)? I don't want any
    >> outgoing packets (including DHCP, ARP, etc.) to leave my NIC. I want to do
    >> this to monitor network traffic on a hub, without interferring with other
    >> packets. I want to be the most passive. I saw some suggestion to make a
    >> receive only cable but I don't have access to such cable making tools so I
    >> just want a software way to block all packets transmission on my NIC. I
    >> just want to receive packets. I have an Intel Pro 10/100 NIC adapter with
    >> a straight cable connected to a 100 Mbs hub .
    >>
    >> Yannick

    > If it's your typical, run of the mill, straight through ethernet cable, just
    > cut either pin 1 or pin 2 on one end of the cable. That would correspond to
    > the green and green/white TX (transmit) pair. You would then have a
    > "stealth cable" that you could use over and over again. I keep a short one
    > in my briefcase, with a rj-45 female to female adapter. Works great if you
    > are called upon to monitor a network and aren't allowed to be "on the
    > wires".
    >
    > As for an XP software solution. Any of the commercial, third-party stuff
    > would probably work ok. The XP included firewall can't be trusted to do
    > what you want. It is, after all, a Microsoft creature that does the bidding
    > of it's master.
    >
    > Cheers.

+ Reply to Thread