VPN Choices - Network

This is a discussion on VPN Choices - Network ; We are considering implementing VPN at my office The network is a peer network behind a rather old Sonicwall, SOHO/10. At this point our Sonicwall license does not provide for VPN. As of yet, I have not figured out how ...

  1. VPN Choices

    We are considering implementing VPN at my office The network is a peer
    network behind a rather old Sonicwall, SOHO/10. At this point our
    Sonicwall license does not provide for VPN. As of yet, I have not
    figured out how much it will cost to add VPN to our license. (not
    readily available on the SW website, I think I have to call) I assume
    however it will cost at least $100 to $200.

    For that kind of money, I could purchase a newer router / firewall with
    VPN such as the LinkSys RV042. I would have more user capacity.
    (Sonicwall is limited to 10 sounds like a lot for only five principles
    and staff, but with network printers, wireless devices and laptops
    accessing DHCP through that, we're could get "full")
    It also looks like the LinkSys VPN has a fairly simple to use client
    that goes with it.

    Any thoughts about whether I should stick with the SonicWall or go to
    some other solution?

  2. Re: VPN Choices

    John Hyde wrote:

    > We are considering implementing VPN at my office The network is a peer
    > network behind a rather old Sonicwall, SOHO/10. At this point our
    > Sonicwall license does not provide for VPN. As of yet, I have not
    > figured out how much it will cost to add VPN to our license. (not
    > readily available on the SW website, I think I have to call) I assume
    > however it will cost at least $100 to $200.
    >
    > For that kind of money, I could purchase a newer router / firewall with
    > VPN such as the LinkSys RV042. I would have more user capacity.
    > (Sonicwall is limited to 10 sounds like a lot for only five principles
    > and staff, but with network printers, wireless devices and laptops
    > accessing DHCP through that, we're could get "full")
    > It also looks like the LinkSys VPN has a fairly simple to use client
    > that goes with it.
    >
    > Any thoughts about whether I should stick with the SonicWall or go to
    > some other solution?

    I could be wrong, but it sounds like you want to get out from under the
    sonicwall "thumb"... so to speak. If so, dump them and upgrade to the
    Linksys solution... that offers more bang for the buck anyways....

    --

    ************************************************** ****************************
    Registered Linux User Number 185956

  3. Re: VPN Choices

    on 10/12/2005 4:20 PM Jerry McBride said the following:
    > John Hyde wrote:
    >

    >>We are considering implementing VPN at my office The network is a peer
    >>network behind a rather old Sonicwall, SOHO/10. At this point our
    >>Sonicwall license does not provide for VPN. As of yet, I have not
    >>figured out how much it will cost to add VPN to our license. (not
    >>readily available on the SW website, I think I have to call) I assume
    >>however it will cost at least $100 to $200.
    >>
    >>For that kind of money, I could purchase a newer router / firewall with
    >>VPN such as the LinkSys RV042. I would have more user capacity.
    >>(Sonicwall is limited to 10 sounds like a lot for only five principles
    >>and staff, but with network printers, wireless devices and laptops
    >>accessing DHCP through that, we're could get "full")
    >>It also looks like the LinkSys VPN has a fairly simple to use client
    >>that goes with it.
    >>
    >>Any thoughts about whether I should stick with the SonicWall or go to
    >>some other solution?

    > I could be wrong, but it sounds like you want to get out from under the
    > sonicwall "thumb"... so to speak. If so, dump them and upgrade to the
    > Linksys solution... that offers more bang for the buck anyways....

    Yeah, I have since found out that, not only do you have to pay for the
    VPN server software, you also have to pay for each license, apparently
    in groups of five for small units. Not cheap. It appears that the
    Linksys does not limit the number of connections, and the client
    software comes with. (This from the web, I wonder if that is correct?)

    It sort of begs the question, if Sonicwall is so muc more expensive,
    what have they got that LinkSys doesn't? Anyone with experience with
    these units have an idea?

  4. Re: VPN Choices

    "John Hyde" wrote in message
    > on 10/12/2005 4:20 PM Jerry McBride said the following:
    >> John Hyde wrote:
    >>

    >>>We are considering implementing VPN at my office The network is a peer
    >>>network behind a rather old Sonicwall, SOHO/10. At this point our
    >>>Sonicwall license does not provide for VPN. As of yet, I have not
    >>>figured out how much it will cost to add VPN to our license. (not
    >>>readily available on the SW website, I think I have to call) I assume
    >>>however it will cost at least $100 to $200.
    >>>
    >>>For that kind of money, I could purchase a newer router / firewall with
    >>>VPN such as the LinkSys RV042. I would have more user capacity.
    >>>(Sonicwall is limited to 10 sounds like a lot for only five principles
    >>>and staff, but with network printers, wireless devices and laptops
    >>>accessing DHCP through that, we're could get "full")
    >>>It also looks like the LinkSys VPN has a fairly simple to use client
    >>>that goes with it.
    >>>
    >>>Any thoughts about whether I should stick with the SonicWall or go to
    >>>some other solution?

    >> I could be wrong, but it sounds like you want to get out from under the
    >> sonicwall "thumb"... so to speak. If so, dump them and upgrade to the
    >> Linksys solution... that offers more bang for the buck anyways....
    >>

    > Yeah, I have since found out that, not only do you have to pay for the VPN
    > server software, you also have to pay for each license, apparently in
    > groups of five for small units. Not cheap. It appears that the Linksys
    > does not limit the number of connections, and the client software comes
    > with. (This from the web, I wonder if that is correct?)
    >
    > It sort of begs the question, if Sonicwall is so muc more expensive, what
    > have they got that LinkSys doesn't? Anyone with experience with these
    > units have an idea?

    Linksys boxes are improving but they're still toys compared to Sonicwalls or
    Fortigates. My ISP has tried again and again with all the Linksys and Dlink
    boxes to get one that would be consistantly reliable as a vpn server and
    only just recently has blessed one model of LinkSys (I'll have to check with
    him which) that is stable all the time when doing vpn work. It's in the
    $300 range IIRC.

    Those type of boxes are down on features, performance, and flexibility, but
    they are ok for small, limited scope deployments in many situations

    -Russ.

  5. Re: VPN Choices

    On 10/13/2005 4:58 AM, Somebody. wrote:
    > "John Hyde" wrote in message
    >
    >>on 10/12/2005 4:20 PM Jerry McBride said the following:

    >>>I could be wrong, but it sounds like you want to get out from under the
    >>>sonicwall "thumb"... so to speak. If so, dump them and upgrade to the
    >>>Linksys solution... that offers more bang for the buck anyways....
    >>>

    >>Yeah, I have since found out that, not only do you have to pay for the VPN
    >>server software, you also have to pay for each license, apparently in
    >>groups of five for small units. Not cheap. It appears that the Linksys
    >>does not limit the number of connections, and the client software comes
    >>with. (This from the web, I wonder if that is correct?)
    >>
    >>It sort of begs the question, if Sonicwall is so muc more expensive, what
    >>have they got that LinkSys doesn't? Anyone with experience with these
    >>units have an idea?

    > Linksys boxes are improving but they're still toys compared to Sonicwalls or
    > Fortigates.

    Is that because the hardware is different? Or is it their OS? Or
    something else?

    My ISP has tried again and again with all the Linksys and Dlink
    > boxes to get one that would be consistantly reliable as a vpn server and
    > only just recently has blessed one model of LinkSys (I'll have to check with
    > him which) that is stable all the time when doing vpn work. It's in the
    > $300 range IIRC.

    I'd be interested in knowing which one, thanks.

  6. Re: VPN Choices

    "John Hyde" wrote in message
    > On 10/13/2005 4:58 AM, Somebody. wrote:
    >> "John Hyde" wrote in message

    >>>Yeah, I have since found out that, not only do you have to pay for the
    >>>VPN server software, you also have to pay for each license, apparently in
    >>>groups of five for small units. Not cheap. It appears that the Linksys
    >>>does not limit the number of connections, and the client software comes
    >>>with. (This from the web, I wonder if that is correct?)
    >>>
    >>>It sort of begs the question, if Sonicwall is so muc more expensive, what
    >>>have they got that LinkSys doesn't? Anyone with experience with these
    >>>units have an idea?

    >> Linksys boxes are improving but they're still toys compared to Sonicwalls
    >> or Fortigates.

    > Is that because the hardware is different? Or is it their OS? Or
    > something else?
    >
    > My ISP has tried again and again with all the Linksys and Dlink
    >> boxes to get one that would be consistantly reliable as a vpn server and
    >> only just recently has blessed one model of LinkSys (I'll have to check
    >> with him which) that is stable all the time when doing vpn work. It's in
    >> the $300 range IIRC.
    >>

    > I'd be interested in knowing which one, thanks.

    I'll ask him -- drop me an email....

    -Russ.

  7. Re: VPN Choices

    "Somebody." wrote in message
    news:yaF3f.18877$p5.11997@nnrp.ca.mci.com!nnrp1.uu net.ca...

    > "John Hyde" wrote in message
    >> On 10/13/2005 4:58 AM, Somebody. wrote:
    >>> "John Hyde" wrote in message

    >>> Linksys boxes are improving but they're still toys compared to
    >>> Sonicwalls or Fortigates.

    >> Is that because the hardware is different? Or is it their OS? Or
    >> something else?
    >>
    >> My ISP has tried again and again with all the Linksys and Dlink
    >>> boxes to get one that would be consistantly reliable as a vpn server and
    >>> only just recently has blessed one model of LinkSys (I'll have to check
    >>> with him which) that is stable all the time when doing vpn work. It's
    >>> in the $300 range IIRC.
    >>>

    >> I'd be interested in knowing which one, thanks.

    > I'll ask him -- drop me an email....
    >
    > -Russ.

    He said it was the rv042.

    They seem to be reasonably well featured from the few times I went in the
    interface.

    -Russ.

  8. Re: VPN Choices

    On 10/15/2005 5:34 AM, Somebody. wrote:
    > "Somebody." wrote in message
    > news:yaF3f.18877$p5.11997@nnrp.ca.mci.com!nnrp1.uu net.ca...
    >
    >>"John Hyde" wrote in message

    >>>Is that because the hardware is different? Or is it their OS? Or
    >>>something else?
    >>>
    >>> My ISP has tried again and again with all the Linksys and Dlink

    >>>I'd be interested in knowing which one, thanks.

    >>I'll ask him -- drop me an email....
    >>
    >>-Russ.

    > He said it was the rv042.
    >
    > They seem to be reasonably well featured from the few times I went in the
    > interface.
    >
    > -Russ.

    Ok, Great. Thanks a lot.

    JH

  9. Re: VPN Choices

    "John Hyde" wrote in message
    news:iLOdnTtlq6l00szenZ2dnUVZ_tGdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > On 10/15/2005 5:34 AM, Somebody. wrote:
    >> "Somebody." wrote in message
    >> news:yaF3f.18877$p5.11997@nnrp.ca.mci.com!nnrp1.uu net.ca...
    >>
    >>>"John Hyde" wrote in message

    >>>I'll ask him -- drop me an email....
    >>>
    >>>-Russ.

    >> He said it was the rv042.
    >>
    >> They seem to be reasonably well featured from the few times I went in the
    >> interface.
    >>
    >> -Russ.
    >>

    > Ok, Great. Thanks a lot.
    >
    > JH

    No problem, good luck with your implementation. Let me know what kind of
    street price you end up getting them for wherever you are. Drop me a line
    if you ever decide you need some Fortigates instead. :-)

    -Russ.

  10. Re: VPN Choices

    In article ,
    somebody.@spamout.russdoucet.com says...
    > >> He said it was the rv042.

    If using the RV042, it's just a NAT Router with SPI and QOS, it's not a
    firewall.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

  11. Re: VPN Choices

    "Leythos" wrote in message
    news:%ys4f.129705$lI5.84103@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com ...
    > In article ,
    > somebody.@spamout.russdoucet.com says...

    > If using the RV042, it's just a NAT Router with SPI and QOS, it's not a
    > firewall.

    Actually, it is a firewall, it can be set to block incoming and /or outgoing
    ports / protocols in either direction.

    -Russ.

  12. Re: VPN Choices

    In article ,
    somebody.@spamout.russdoucet.com says...

    > "Leythos" wrote in message
    > news:%ys4f.129705$lI5.84103@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com ...
    > > In article ,
    > > somebody.@spamout.russdoucet.com says...

    > > If using the RV042, it's just a NAT Router with SPI and QOS, it's not a
    > > firewall.

    > Actually, it is a firewall, it can be set to block incoming and /or outgoing
    > ports / protocols in either direction.

    Not, it's not a firewall, it can't tell the difference between HTTP and
    anything else on port 80, and there are many other things it's not
    capable of doing that every firewall appliance on the market can.

    Don't get me wrong, I'm installing a RV042 in a sorority on Monday, but
    I would never confuse it with a firewall.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

  13. Re: VPN Choices

    Leythos wrote:
    > In article ,
    > somebody.@spamout.russdoucet.com says...
    >
    >>"Leythos" wrote in message
    >>news:%ys4f.129705$lI5.84103@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com ...
    >>
    >>>In article ,
    >>>somebody.@spamout.russdoucet.com says...

    >>>If using the RV042, it's just a NAT Router with SPI and QOS, it's not a
    >>>firewall.

    >>Actually, it is a firewall, it can be set to block incoming and /or outgoing
    >>ports / protocols in either direction.

    > Not, it's not a firewall, it can't tell the difference between HTTP and
    > anything else on port 80, and there are many other things it's not
    > capable of doing that every firewall appliance on the market can.
    >
    > Don't get me wrong, I'm installing a RV042 in a sorority on Monday, but
    > I would never confuse it with a firewall.

    First, your definition of a Firewall is off a bit. Basic firewalls only look at IP address/port combinations. Content firewalls can
    also look at what is in the traffic, although sometimes it can't (port 443 which is https and is encrypted, the content cannot be
    scanned also ssh on port 22, etc...). So while it may not do content filtering, it IS a basic firewall.

    Personally I use Cisco PIX, however that's a bit pricey for some. I believe routers and firewalls are someplace NOT to be cheap. How
    much money do you lose with someone hacks into your file servers? Even a few thousand dollars is cheap if it would prevent it. At
    HOME I have a T1 with a Cisco 4700-M router with the FW feature set doing basic filtering. Then I have a PIX 515-UR firewall and on
    the other side of that I have a Cisco 2621 doing VLANS to my Cisco 2924EN-XL switch. Here at work I run multiple PIX 520s with
    multiple router layers each running the FW feature set and even departments are isolated via ACLs. Our DMZ is probably more
    protected than most corporate internal networks. Network security is nothing to go short on. I have seen people say that they're
    only a small company and wouldn't be a target... until someone broke in and crashed their server with the accounting information on
    it. It cost them many thousands of dollars to get back where they were before the break in.

    Just something to think about.

    Dennis

  14. Re: VPN Choices

    In article <43A6CCD1.7030201@comcast.net>, ken@comcast.net says...
    > May I jump in here? I am a home user who is investigating firewalls,
    > having become deathly afraid of identity theft (a little paranoia is a
    > good thing, I hope). Presently I have just a router (Netgear RT314)
    > with ZoneAlarm Pro on each of 4 machines. My IT chief at work suggested
    > a Cisco Pix 501. I have not problem with the cost, but I am concernd
    > about having to learn how to install and maintain it, as I get lost
    > reading a lot of the threads just on this newsgroup!

    CISCO makes some really nice hardware, but a lot of their products are
    not easily configured for home/non-technical users, heck, even some non-
    CISCO people that are very technical have issues with the CISCO
    hardware.

    I personally don't spec PIX unless the customer requests it.

    > My goals would be: 1, excellent protection of my LAN, and 2, reliable
    > VPN access to my information as I will soon begin a job that may require
    > me to be away from home for long periods of time.

    On any SOHO unit, the protection of the lan is more than just a good
    firewall, it's about how you use the lan and how you interact with the
    Internet.

    A SOHO firewall will not FILTER attachments out of email, so you've got
    that threat still. Some SOHO firewalls will permit a Web Blocker service
    (some based on a subscription service) where you can restrict access to
    websites based on content rules...

    > Is there other equipment to consider? One person thinks that the Pix
    > would be like driving a Porsche to work. If there is something reliable
    > and easier to setup and maintain, that would be fine. If a Pix is the
    > way to go, I could conceivably purchase one on eBay; if so, are there
    > "extras" that must be purchased, like a license, software, anything else?

    I like the WatchGuard line of firewalls, I'm quite biased towards them
    as I've been using them for more than 6 years, only had one fail in all
    that time, find them easy to setup and work well with every firewall on
    the market, and I can explain enough to the end-users that they can at
    least think they understand it

    You might want to take a look at the WatchGuard Firebox X5 unit (they
    have a X5w for wireless needs).

    http://www.watchguard.com/products/edgex5.asp

    With this type of unit, you would install a VPN Client software
    application on your laptop and then connect to the Firewall from your
    remote location - this means you would not have to expose the computer
    inside your network at home to the Internet in order to VPN into it.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

+ Reply to Thread