Looking for an upgrade, Need Advice - Network

This is a discussion on Looking for an upgrade, Need Advice - Network ; I work at home a lot, and have a complete development environment. I have a single machine running W2K which acts as a firewall using winproxy to share the Internet connection with all PC's on the network, and BlackIce Defender ...

  1. Looking for an upgrade, Need Advice

    I work at home a lot, and have a complete development environment. I have a
    single machine running W2K which acts as a firewall using winproxy to share
    the Internet connection with all PC's on the network, and BlackIce Defender
    to keep out unwanted traffic.

    To date this solution has been great. We've had no problems with attacks,
    etc. Our two big complaints are cost...Running a server simply to have a
    firewall is a lot of wasted heat and electricity, we're trying to be green.
    And configurability...for example, we have difficulty getting advanced
    features of IM clients to work, like MSN Whiteboard. We should be able to
    make that stuff work for off-site meetings, etc.

    I've been thinking of dumping this configuration for a hardware
    firewall/proxy solution. I was hoping for some recommendations.

    BV.

  2. Re: Looking for an upgrade, Need Advice

    "BenignVanilla" wrote in message
    >I work at home a lot, and have a complete development environment. I have a
    >single machine running W2K which acts as a firewall using winproxy to share
    >the Internet connection with all PC's on the network, and BlackIce Defender
    >to keep out unwanted traffic.
    >
    > To date this solution has been great. We've had no problems with attacks,
    > etc. Our two big complaints are cost...Running a server simply to have a
    > firewall is a lot of wasted heat and electricity, we're trying to be
    > green. And configurability...for example, we have difficulty getting
    > advanced features of IM clients to work, like MSN Whiteboard. We should be
    > able to make that stuff work for off-site meetings, etc.
    >
    > I've been thinking of dumping this configuration for a hardware
    > firewall/proxy solution. I was hoping for some recommendations.
    >
    > BV.

    I forgot to give you the url for the reseller I bought my sonicwall from.
    www.sonicguard.com . They are possibly the cheapest reseller of sonicwall.
    also the support has been great as they are based in the U.S and really nice
    people when i talked to them.

  3. Re: Looking for an upgrade, Need Advice

    "ABS" wrote in message

    > "BenignVanilla" wrote in message
    >>I work at home a lot, and have a complete development environment. I have
    >>a single machine running W2K which acts as a firewall using winproxy to
    >>share the Internet connection with all PC's on the network, and BlackIce
    >>Defender to keep out unwanted traffic.
    >>
    >> To date this solution has been great. We've had no problems with attacks,
    >> etc. Our two big complaints are cost...Running a server simply to have a
    >> firewall is a lot of wasted heat and electricity, we're trying to be
    >> green. And configurability...for example, we have difficulty getting
    >> advanced features of IM clients to work, like MSN Whiteboard. We should
    >> be able to make that stuff work for off-site meetings, etc.
    >>
    >> I've been thinking of dumping this configuration for a hardware
    >> firewall/proxy solution. I was hoping for some recommendations.

    > You can look at www.sonicwall.com the TZ150 or TZ150W or the 170/170W
    > series. I own now the 170W and it's awesome, but costly kind of. The 150
    > is good for small offices type stuff with 10 nodes/users. They have
    > security services like virus protection built into the unit, spyware
    > protection built in, content filtering for web sites etc, awesome firewall
    > rules you can make, intrusion protection like blocking p2p and many other
    > intrusion stuff. these services do cost extra, comes with a 30 day trial
    > for all.

    Thanks for the response. These units are a bit more then I planned to spend.
    I am beginning to wonder if I should just buy a router. Put my cable modem
    into there, and my web server into there. Then plug my current firewall into
    there as well, to protect the LAN.

    BV.
    www.iheartmypond.com

  4. Re: Looking for an upgrade, Need Advice

    > "ABS" wrote in message
    > >
    > > "BenignVanilla" wrote in message
    > >>I work at home a lot, and have a complete development environment. I

    have
    > >>a single machine running W2K which acts as a firewall using winproxy to
    > >>share the Internet connection with all PC's on the network, and BlackIce
    > >>Defender to keep out unwanted traffic.
    > >>
    > >> To date this solution has been great. We've had no problems with

    attacks,
    > >> etc. Our two big complaints are cost...Running a server simply to have

    > >> firewall is a lot of wasted heat and electricity, we're trying to be
    > >> green. And configurability...for example, we have difficulty getting
    > >> advanced features of IM clients to work, like MSN Whiteboard. We should
    > >> be able to make that stuff work for off-site meetings, etc.
    > >>
    > >> I've been thinking of dumping this configuration for a hardware
    > >> firewall/proxy solution. I was hoping for some recommendations.

    > > You can look at www.sonicwall.com the TZ150 or TZ150W or the 170/170W
    > > series. I own now the 170W and it's awesome, but costly kind of. The 150
    > > is good for small offices type stuff with 10 nodes/users. They have
    > > security services like virus protection built into the unit, spyware
    > > protection built in, content filtering for web sites etc, awesome

    firewall
    > > rules you can make, intrusion protection like blocking p2p and many

    other
    > > intrusion stuff. these services do cost extra, comes with a 30 day trial
    > > for all.

    > Thanks for the response. These units are a bit more then I planned to

    spend.
    > I am beginning to wonder if I should just buy a router. Put my cable modem
    > into there, and my web server into there. Then plug my current firewall

    into
    > there as well, to protect the LAN.
    >
    > BV.
    > www.iheartmypond.com

    I'd look at a Fortigate 50. More mature solution with AntiVirus, Intrustion
    Prevention, SPAM filter, Category filtering, complete firewall rules, VPN
    termination, internal or external logging. No node limits or per node
    charges. Bundle pricing with a year of all subscriptions is around $800US.
    Hardware based, no moving parts. This is the same software and interface as
    the larger units that scale up to multi-Gigabit speeds in front of major
    corporations and Universities -- but relatively cheap. All Fortinet does is
    firewalls. Their products are serious stuff.

    -Russ.

  5. Re: Looking for an upgrade, Need Advice

    BenignVanilla wrote:
    > "ABS" wrote in message
    >
    >>"BenignVanilla" wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I work at home a lot, and have a complete development environment. I have
    >>>a single machine running W2K which acts as a firewall using winproxy to
    >>>share the Internet connection with all PC's on the network, and BlackIce
    >>>Defender to keep out unwanted traffic.
    >>>
    >>>To date this solution has been great. We've had no problems with attacks,
    >>>etc. Our two big complaints are cost...Running a server simply to have a
    >>>firewall is a lot of wasted heat and electricity, we're trying to be
    >>>green. And configurability...for example, we have difficulty getting
    >>>advanced features of IM clients to work, like MSN Whiteboard. We should
    >>>be able to make that stuff work for off-site meetings, etc.
    >>>
    >>>I've been thinking of dumping this configuration for a hardware
    >>>firewall/proxy solution. I was hoping for some recommendations.

    >>You can look at www.sonicwall.com the TZ150 or TZ150W or the 170/170W
    >>series. I own now the 170W and it's awesome, but costly kind of. The 150
    >>is good for small offices type stuff with 10 nodes/users. They have
    >>security services like virus protection built into the unit, spyware
    >>protection built in, content filtering for web sites etc, awesome firewall
    >>rules you can make, intrusion protection like blocking p2p and many other
    >>intrusion stuff. these services do cost extra, comes with a 30 day trial
    >>for all.

    > Thanks for the response. These units are a bit more then I planned to spend.
    > I am beginning to wonder if I should just buy a router. Put my cable modem
    > into there, and my web server into there. Then plug my current firewall into
    > there as well, to protect the LAN.
    >
    > BV.
    > www.iheartmypond.com

    I have recently installed a Gigabyte wireless router with built in
    hardware firewall. Its self configuring etc etc. Model B49G Well worth
    considering for small business office home use, because it works well
    and installation is magic..
    Info>>
    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Communica...er_GN-B49G.htm

+ Reply to Thread