Sygat's PFW kills my network - Network

This is a discussion on Sygat's PFW kills my network - Network ; This is somewhat confusing to describe. I have a 2 computer network (//Big & //Little) using netbeui (netbios is not used), a D-Link DL-704P router (with Print Server), and Win98 1st. It works perfectly if Sygate's Personal FW (free) is ...

  1. Sygat's PFW kills my network

    This is somewhat confusing to describe. I have a 2 computer network (//Big &
    //Little) using netbeui (netbios is not used), a D-Link DL-704P router (with
    Print Server), and Win98 1st. It works perfectly if Sygate's Personal FW
    (free) is not running. The FW is installed on //Big only. //Little has no FW
    installed or running at this time.

    If the FW is started with windows startup, neither computer, //Big or
    //Little, can see each other. //Big can see itself but //Little cannot see
    itself. The network does not work.

    If I start the FW manually after the network is established then they see
    each other but only under Windows. I have one DOS program on //Little that
    needs access to the printer using "Net Use lpt1 //Big /HP." When that
    command is issued, I get an error saying that the computer specified is not
    available (works fine without the FW running). Print services are not
    established. Further more, after exiting the DOS program, the network is no
    longer established. //Big can see itself only and //Little can see neither
    machine. //Big can find //Little using Start/Find but //Little still doesn't
    show up in Network Neighborhood. //Little cannot find either computer. I can
    still print to the router's Print Server and access the Internet from
    //Little under windows.

    In Sygate's Firewall, I have set the Network Neighborhood options to allow
    access. NetBEUI, Spooler Subsystem Process, and Win32 Kernel have "Allow"
    permissions in the apps section. Also, if Sygate is started after Windows is
    running the computer hangs on shut down requiring me to hit the power or
    reset button. On rebooting ScanDisk runs on the drive containing Sygate.

    I went to Sygate's site and tried their suggestions on fixing this problem.
    I downloaded new drivers from Intel for //Big's Intel NIC. I set the
    parameters they recommended. Didn't fix it, the problem remains the same.

    I'm open to any suggestions. If another FW is in order, that's fine, I can
    change.

    --
    Pat

  2. Re: Sygat's PFW kills my network

    On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 11:00:39 -0700, Pat wrote:

    snip all

    I got rid of Sygate and installed Outpost free. All is working as it should.

    --
    Pat

+ Reply to Thread