two subnets same switch! - Network

This is a discussion on two subnets same switch! - Network ; Hi there, When two subnets share the same physical cable, are there security issues with the one subnet being able to get to the second subnet? For example, at our co-location facility, we have a switch that the WAN Internet ...

  1. two subnets same switch!

    Hi there,

    When two subnets share the same physical cable, are there security issues
    with the one subnet being able to get to the second subnet? For example, at
    our co-location facility, we have a switch that the WAN Internet connection
    comes into. We are considering also running our 10.0.0.X network through the
    NIC, same cable and same switch. Will doing so expose our internal
    (10.0.0.X) network to the internet?

    Thanks!

  2. Re: two subnets same switch!

    "Java Boy" wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    >
    > When two subnets share the same physical cable, are there security issues
    > with the one subnet being able to get to the second subnet? For example,

    at
    > our co-location facility, we have a switch that the WAN Internet

    connection
    > comes into. We are considering also running our 10.0.0.X network through

    the
    > NIC, same cable and same switch. Will doing so expose our internal
    > (10.0.0.X) network to the internet?
    >

    > Thanks!

    If the switch supports vlans you can separate them "phsycially". If it's a
    normal simple switch, they are not separated. It won't let people from the
    WAN get to your machines, because they can't contact your 10.xyz network
    over the internet. But all it would take on the PC is to add a second IP,
    in the range of the WAN, and the PC could communicate directly with the
    internet. Sessions would have to be initiated by the PC, but lots of
    trojans and backdoors do that.

    Where does your firewall sit in all this and what are its capabilties?

    -Russ.

+ Reply to Thread